Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Minimalistic Box  (Read 6507 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Minimalistic Box
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:46:23 pm »

You wake up one perfectly ordinary morning, walk outside, and find a metal box the size of a smartphone on your doorstep. It is humming.
Upon picking it up, you watch 8 knobs appear on the surface.
You tap one at random.
Your first turn will include which button you press. At least for this first turn, that's a free action.
All I need for character sheets is a name and gender.
I need four players.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:13:19 pm by Eschar »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalistic Box - open
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »

Name: Clove Harrison, Male

See if anyone nearby also has a box. Also, see how the buttons.knobs are positioned. Press lucky 7. Observe what happens, then see if it can be twisted.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:47:52 pm »

Name: Tobias Nix

Gender Male:

Press number 1.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 10:43:28 pm »

Mister Joseph Manly. Female.

Press all eight simultaneously. If that fails, push 8.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »

Sokwe the Gorilla. Male.

Squeeze the box in my hand, hitting the 3 button in the process.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 05:01:12 pm »

The chart of functions will be slowly updated with your guesses. If you hit on the right function, I'll change it to that.
The only storyline for this game is...whatever ensues from giving four Bay12ers a box that does stuff. Therefore, this game will probably include the total destruction of Earth.
Name: Clove Harrison, Male

See if anyone nearby also has a box. Also, see how the buttons/knobs are positioned. Press lucky 7. Observe what happens, then see if it can be twisted.
[2] No else is up yet. Their blinds are also closed.
They are in two rows of four.
When you press the button, the house in front of you begins to age. The walls eventually collapse inwards, reducing the house to rubble and filling the street with dust.
By 'it', I assume you mean the button, instead of 'what happens.' It does not turn.
Name: Tobias Nix

Gender Male:

Press number 1.
Your house immediately is covered in ice. Frost creeps along the ground towards you.
Mister Joseph Manly. Female.

Press all eight simultaneously. If that fails, push 8.
[1] You try to press all of them at the same time; failing to get all your fingers in the right place, you give up and mash the eighth button. A painfully loud tone rings out somewhere above you and eventually becomes louder, until suddenly going silent. You realize you've gone deaf.
(This would have been really interesting if you had rolled a 6 on "press all buttons".)
Sokwe the Gorilla. Male.

Squeeze the box in my hand, hitting the 3 button in the process.
[6] You squeeze the box ...into a mangled mess of wires. It instantly re-forms. You hit the third button and a fluorescent haze drifts over you.

Starting now, turns will also require your guesses about any buttons you press during that turn.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalistic Box - closed
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 05:10:09 pm »

Press button 2. Try and make a fire.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minimalistic Box - joining closed
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 06:44:10 pm »

Press button 6, observe the effect, wait a while, then press button #5.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 06:45:39 pm »

"Hoo?"

Poke the fourth button, hoping for some fruit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:28:06 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 10:09:06 pm »

Do all our boxes have the same functions?

Press Button 3. My guess: Fire.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 08:14:38 pm »

What happened? Has this been abandoned, or has Eschar caught the Chicken Box?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 05:28:10 pm »

Not quite abandoned.. I haven't been able to access the Internet lately, and even now not consistently enough to write the turns for my RTD's. It's not abandoned. Internet permitting.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »

How rolls will work: if you state an intention that the button can do, the roll works with normal RTD rules.
If your action is unrelated to the button or is not stated, the roll is interpreted to determine how serious the effect is.

Press button 2. Try and make a fire.
[6] You carefully press the button, getting no unexpected results... except that it doesn't seem to be fire. The ground in front of you turns into gas, expanding with a massive shockwave that destroys every house nearby and slams you into a tree. Your arm is broken.
Press button 6, observe the effect, wait a while, then press button #5.
[3] Upon pressing the sixth button, an extremely painful burn appears on your hand.
[6] You press the fifth button with the other hand. You are flung upwards and continue to move in that direction. A few rocks fly up along with you.
"Hoo?"

Poke the fourth button, hoping for some fruit.
[3] Tons of fruit appear around you, then become illusory when you reach for them. At least you have no physical injury.
Do all our boxes have the same functions?

Press Button 3. My guess: Fire.

((I'm going to use that list, if you don't mind.
Also, the buttons' functions are identical on all boxes.))
[4] A hazy blue glow surrounds you. You feel a strong charge of static electricity.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:07:34 pm by Eschar »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 06:42:53 pm »

Set the box down and press 4 and 2 simultaneously. Hope for real fruit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:15:32 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 07:02:56 pm »

Locate a bird. Tehn push button seven while telling the box to slow that bird down to 1/100 speed.

I think you mislabeled a couple buttons here: OS pushed 5 and 6 this round, not 3, and EP pushed 4 not 3 Here is an edited version, and I don't mind you using the list at all. Saves me a little effort :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4