Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Swampcavern vs. Devils - Spoilers  (Read 3175 times)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swampcavern vs. Devils - Spoilers
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:55:13 am »

https://youtu.be/sU_e9OVHyL8

Swampcavern takes on the devils in its own unique style, using crossbows, giant animals, and as much of the army as we can get at once.  We do - pretty well.  Winning is not part of the plan.  What's the best you've ever seen anyone do vs the clowns?  What's the best you've ever done against them?
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Swampcavern vs. Devils - Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:49:00 pm »

~1:50 No, you can't atomsmash them. They're too big. Can cave-in though.

Though I've got to admit, I expected some actual combat in 16 minute video.

As for your question. Best...What is best?

TAG's checkerboard was notable not merely for killing all with a trap, but also for its novelty and showmanship.
Merely duplicating the blueprints and mentioning it in 1-2 sentences just isn't as good.

Military-wise, I also recall footnotes of complete success where all clowns were fragile, while others get into pages and pages of retelling.

The tagline may be "losing is fun", but the ones I recall first didn't lose, not at that moment*. Archcrystal. Silentthunders. On second thought, neither are as long as Deathgate's (or was it II's?), which I recalled on second thought - so certain brevity is also important for me, I guess. There are others. Nothing I have or will manage will compare, however - at best, I might one day apply a hitherto undocumented trick, i.e. dwarf fetus wielding a toy hammer on a weapon trap field.

* Though demonsplosion in caverns (multiples) or on surface (Gemclod, I think) is perhaps a blunder.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »

Was it Deathgate that some gauntlet plan:  some upright spear hallway, then to some caged animal bomb, then military? 

I've only breached it once, and will never again until I mastered all aspects of DF and ready to have my ultimate plan implemented (i.e. I get bored and move on after 5+ years due to FPS losses)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:20:45 pm »

I usually try to rely entirely on dwarfpower when conquering the HFS. It sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on what comes up when opening the hole.

I recently found an old save from time just before the Day at the Circus in Copperfell, so I used it to try different strategies. Every single run was different, even when nothing changed between them.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 10:44:56 am »

Bastiongate used a repeating spike gauntlet to kill all the demons. Then the wanderers were trapped using some artifact furniture and a drawbridge. The dwarves built a wall all around hell, floored off the pits, opened another tube to dump water down, flooded hell to the roof, drained it, unfloored the pits, and grew trees in hell. I'm the first one to do that, so... victory?

Was it Deathgate that some gauntlet plan:  some upright spear hallway, then to some caged animal bomb, then military? 
I reread Deathgate recently. It was a goblin prisoner bomb.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 11:20:08 am »

Ahh, goblin prisoners. 

Which fortress fought the clowns with some sort of waterfall so help protect against dust or syndrome?  After reading that, I just recall wanting to setup my own swimming training.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »

I think that may have also been Deathgate, though I don't remember if that was just a plan or if it got carried out. It was NCommander's idea.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:16:18 pm »

NCommander trained CARP marines who were going to be flushed down a specially designed aqueduct in order to combat demons while being fire and dustproof. It even had marksdwarf walkways hanging off the underside for ranged support.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:18:54 pm »

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 03:09:09 pm »

In the first one, I wanted to explain to my few viewers that Swampcavern wasn't going away, do some story telling, show the set up, build suspense, let you get to know a few of the characters so that you'd care later about what was happening.  It's pretty much all action all the time from this one until the end.

I won't give away any spoilers, but I will say this is the best I've ever done versus the clowns, and it's also the best I've ever seen anyone on Youtube do short of using lots of traps. :)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 07:06:49 pm »

I defeated them with two full squads of melee and 3 full squads of crossbows once. Also 50ish war dogs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 07:18:43 pm »

Yeah, "no one has really defeated demons" is a bit too far. Just look at Archcrystal. It conquered hell with nothing more than the might of dwarves and cave dragons.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:57 pm »

Conquering hfs was one of the most famous Dwarven engineering projects. I can also attest to the efficacy of the design.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 12:48:47 pm »

I defeated them with two full squads of melee and 3 full squads of crossbows once. Also 50ish war dogs.

How?  How did you keep them from being lit on fire?  Tell us the story!

I could have been more clear I guess.  The devils are innumerable, like insects.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »

How?  How did you keep them from being lit on fire?  Tell us the story!

I could have been more clear I guess.  The devils are innumerable, like insects.

Oh, well yeah it was the initial clown car.

Anyway I had it set up with a one-tile long walkway over a 2z drop. The melee guys were all armored in steel, and well-trained with axes, and the crossbow guys were set far enough away that their ranged abilities were not a problem (theyd all go for the melee).

The melee guys would force em to either stand and fight or dodge off the walkway, which meant they got to run up to the start of the walkway and come back for more, running the gamut of crossbow fire the whole way. Dogs were just meat shields. I had a few melee guys fall in the pit as well, and they'd finish off some injured clowns before they got smooshed themselves.

In the end two melee dwarves survived and maybe a couple dogs. None of the clown car made it through.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2