Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Screw photobucket.  (Read 3386 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Screw photobucket.
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:13:57 pm »

Photobucket has just removed the ability to post images on third party websites unless you pay for it.
This has removed HUNDREDS of photos, and killed DOZENS of old succession forts!
SCREW YOU PHOTOBUCKET!
SCREW YOU!!!!!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Screw photobucket.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:22:15 pm »

Can a "paying user" see that images posted by "previous users who are non-paying photo bucket"? 

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:36:57 pm »

Generally I use imgur. It helps to use a source that gets stuff out broadcasting on the internet.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »

Well on the bright side, the images are not lost forever. They should still be accessible on their respective user accounts. But its gonna be tedious to move all of them to a new hosting site and re-link them back to the threads and posts where they belong. Good luck on sorting that out if you just dumped all the images into one folder.

I don't know if older bay12 forum users whom may have moved on from bay12forums or even dwarf fortress entirely might even want to tackle that tedium :( Anyway corporations will always seek what is lucrative for them to do. Not much we can do on that front.

I'm preoccupied with other things in my life right now and the mood to dwarf fortress (or even just gaming) hasn't been on my mind for quite some time. Either way, I'm gonna switch to imgur for now, but some quick online research has made me want to just sign up to different image hosting sites just to spread the risk and hosting bandwidth. If you care about the succession/community stories you create bay12 users, pls save a back up of your images somewhere!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:35:39 am »

Well on the bright side, the images are not lost forever. They should still be accessible on their respective user accounts. But its gonna be tedious to move all of them to a new hosting site and re-link them back to the threads and posts where they belong. Good luck on sorting that out if you just dumped all the images into one folder.

I don't know if older bay12 forum users whom may have moved on from bay12forums or even dwarf fortress entirely might even want to tackle that tedium :( Anyway corporations will always seek what is lucrative for them to do. Not much we can do on that front.

I'm preoccupied with other things in my life right now and the mood to dwarf fortress (or even just gaming) hasn't been on my mind for quite some time. Either way, I'm gonna switch to imgur for now, but some quick online research has made me want to just sign up to different image hosting sites just to spread the risk and hosting bandwidth. If you care about the succession/community stories you create bay12 users, pls save a back up of your images somewhere!

The real issue is as noted - the images are on someone else's account and getting them to fix it is really going to be problematic unless it's an active fortress. I do keep the files on the computer though and labelled well though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 11:45:30 am »

The issue is the 3rd party hosting link is no longer valid, so it is broken in the posts on forum/boards. 

I'm at work, so I can't view some sites being blocks. 

But can someone quote a post with invalid image from photobucket (PB), and from the image url in the quote--can you use the link to view the image directly in PB site?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 07:03:46 pm »

Thanks for heads up.  Looking through my PB account, I realize I had some pics on there which I had not moved to my external HDD.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:27:08 pm »

But can someone quote a post with invalid image from photobucket (PB), and from the image url in the quote--can you use the link to view the image directly in PB site?

Some work, some redirect to the invalid image itself. Adblock is a must since their site is literal cancer. Some images still work, but am unsure if this is because the user has a Pro500 account (which seems unlikely).

Either way, implementation is spotty, and I'm trying to get as much archived as possible before even more images go down and PB inevitably bankrupts itself. I've already done Deathgate and Clobbermountains - anyone can point me to other stories where a significant number of PB images have been busted?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 08:34:51 pm »

Some work, some redirect to the invalid image itself. Adblock is a must since their site is literal cancer. Some images still work, but am unsure if this is because the user has a Pro500 account (which seems unlikely).

Either way, implementation is spotty, and I'm trying to get as much archived as possible before even more images go down and PB inevitably bankrupts itself. I've already done Deathgate and Clobbermountains - anyone can point me to other stories where a significant number of PB images have been busted?
The early pictures of Halltraded used Photobucket.  The rest of the story appears to be intact.  As an aside, this is also one of my favorites for the 'fish and trees are trying to murder us' theme.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 09:25:51 pm »

No cigar - the website I was using to retrieve the PB images has just been blocked. Bummer.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:14:13 am »

You can still look at the hosted pictures if you go directly to the image itself without viewing it on an outside website (otherwise it puts a placeholder over the image in your cache). But yeah, it's really annoying.

And quite frankly I would be surprised if Photobucket lasts much longer after this stunt, better backup those images while you still can.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:33:50 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Massenstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 05:26:31 pm »

I'm amazed anyone still uses photopucket. I've always had the most horrible time trying to view images posted there and especially trying to download them.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 05:29:27 pm »

I've never used Photobucket in my life lol. Imgur all the way!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 12:05:10 am »

I've never used Photobucket in my life lol. Imgur all the way!
I agree.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 01:59:06 am »

I necro Dwarven Checkboard and copied images out of PB and into imgur.
Pages: [1] 2