Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thoughts/Predictions about next DF Update?  (Read 4738 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts/Predictions about next DF Update?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:04 pm »

Bumber, shouldn't your sig be "Was this inevitable? (Y/Y)" ?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 12:58:40 pm »

Bumber, shouldn't your sig be "Was this inevitable? (Y/Y)" ?
Fixed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 11:53:10 pm »

Someone mentioned in the other topic that the new feature of having race specific pets could be an interesting new tool for modders to incorporate multi-species civs.  An interesting hypothesis.  I wonder if it would be a better suited workaround than the castes.  And of course there's the immigration system now. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 07:08:35 am »

Most of all, I am happy that I will be able to send out squads of dwarves. Rescue, artifact recovery, raids. And getting more civs/sites to attack my fort  :D.

The artifact thing - I guess it gives an excuse for armies to move around and start wars. And quests for your adventurer. All of which is good.
If I understood right, there will be worldgen legendary artifacts. Good, now my adventurer can quest for some better equipment.

But if it was up to me, I would focus on warfare-related stuff before doing the artifact thing. For example, fixing the site rulership issues for adventurers.

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 08:43:26 am »

Literally everything Toady is doing is from the Development page. Those "directions he's taken lately" are directions that have been planned for years. Seriously, read that entire page and you can't even be mad, it's all leading somewhere great.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »

I love legends viewer programs, but any interestingly large world has so much useless, hideously boring guff that it takes hours of poring through a medium+ world to find the good stuff, even with a GUI worth a damn.

Also festivals serve no purpose whatsoever in legends other than to make a site/group history utterly unreadable due to the spam of "in the year X plus 1 the books of sadness held yet another festival about cats" obscuring critical site events.
Except that it's not at all unreadable in an external viewer, you can just filter it out. You realise this is an unfinished game right? Just because festivals and vampire purges don't exist right now except to mess up your search for 'critical site events' doesn't mean it's always going to be that way. At the very least the hypertext-like interface for mythgen will surely find it's way to Legends Mode eventually making it much easier to navigate.
Personally, I think masterwork spam is more an issue. Legends Viewer will only show a certain number of events at a site, and the filter process can become slow. If the xml file becomes too large, you can't even load it anymore.

That, and site visitor spam as well. If it serves no purpose or doesn't provide enough valuable information, then it's better to not have it at all. But I already asked Toady about it in the FotF thread and he seems to have acknowledged that, hopefully something might be done during this release cycle.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 10:26:01 pm »

Tracking people on their journeys is one of the best things about Legends' information. Would be a massive backwards step to start actually cutting the available information. Fortunately he seems to be going in the opposite direction, promising more information available for export.

All Legends Mode needs (if you insist on using it as your sole world exploration tool) is a filter. Like the one he's already made for mythgen. Hopefully we'll see some work in that direction during the release's mini-updates.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 03:18:42 pm »

Just wanted to chat about the coming update. 

I'm honestly a bit disappointed with some of the directions he's taken lately.  I was looking forward to further fleshing out industries and racial pluralism and combat mechanics and things like siege machines and sappers, but instead it's a lot of this world-building historical stuff.  I wouldn't mind reading a few history lessons about the generated worlds, but Legends mode is so poorly presented and it doesn't really matter in Fortress mode, so it's a lot of time and work that doesn't add much to the game.

I disagree really. A lot of the development lately is about laying a groundwork for rich storylines and interactions to play out. On the surface there might not seem much difference between "goblins attack because they are evil and hate dwarves" and "this certain goblin civ attacks because of a history of conflict and slaughter going back 1000yrs between your two races" but the second one offers a huge number of conclusions. Pretty much all games use placeholders to make their game world seem alive but one look below the surface and the gameplay becomes really shallow. At its heart Dwarf Fortress is a procedural fantasy simulator with a wider range of possibilities than any other game that exists really. One thing I have noticed with the diplomacy and raid stuff that's been developed this year is that DF can now basically function as an ASCII mount and blade. By working from the bottom up there can be a huge variety of simulation scenarios vs 'You are dwarves building a mine settlement'.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 07:49:45 pm »

The direction he's taken lately is exactly the direction I was hoping he would go when I first got into the game, primarily because part of the reason I got into the game was reading the old dev page, which laid out the entire future plans for the game.

The direction Toady is going for the game is what the game is meant to be. I, in absolute sincerity, believe that if you think this is the wrong direction for Dwarf Fortress, you should go play Rimworld, which is an excellent game that goes in much more of a "fort mode"-focused direction.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 12:23:10 pm »

It will be very interesting. Send out squads to steal stuff, find new artifacts and defend themagainst enemies and thiefes.
Or go in adventure mode and steal others artifacts ;)

It will be very much FUN! and hours of new gameplay.
Dwarf fortress gets more awesome then ever! :D
The old apple revels in its authority.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »

So I guess part of my disappointment is that a lot of the material on the dev page sounds fun, like Myths & Magic, expanded Mechanics, Starting Scenarios, but then Toady does stuff like randomizing instruments and book binding instead.  It's infuriating. 

The thieving and so on does sound interesting.  Expanded Artifacts is one of the arcs that I'm looking forward to. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:07:15 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 10:08:00 pm »

So I guess part of my disappointment is that a lot of the material on the dev page sounds fun, like Myths & Magic, expanded Mechanics, Starting Scenarios, but then Toady does stuff like randomizing instruments and book binding instead.  It's infuriating.
That was the taverns part of the dev page. Yeah it was out of the order listed in the page, but it was there. And it was  meant to be a "short" update that would set a lot of the fundamental building blocks that will allow the myths & magic release. Like this next artifacts release too.

TKR101010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 07:12:57 pm »

I am soooo looking forward to this update! :) It'll be the first update I've seen since I've started playing. Obviously I haven't been playing very long, but the more I play it the more I'm blown away by it. I am very excited to play with new features soon. :D I can't wait.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2017, 09:26:02 pm »

I am soooo looking forward to this update! :) It'll be the first update I've seen since I've started playing. Obviously I haven't been playing very long, but the more I play it the more I'm blown away by it. I am very excited to play with new features soon. :D I can't wait.

Same! :D
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2017, 06:09:47 pm »

Sounds like we may get the update within a month. I can hardly wait.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 [2] 3