Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Mad Max With Wizards: I need opinions  (Read 6795 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Max With Wizards: I need opinions
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:07 pm »

How much use is a conveyor belt for a wizard?  Why would someone summon a functional one, rather than one made out of lava?

To automatically transport the sacrifices to the Pit of Despair instead of having to do it manually all the time, obviously.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 07:46:32 pm »

Correct.

The machine word would allow for the automation of things. Null used it to make a cannon by automating the creation of Arcane beams.

It probably had more to it, because it had a form and material different from the one it produced, and spells generally only resulted in materials used in the spell; "Plant Control Staff" resulted in a tree staff which could control plants, while... I forget the exact words, but I had made a couple rings which controlled materials aside from the one they were made of, and they needed that material specified.

Vehicle would be a good word.  Different varieties of vehicle (Car, motorcycle, tank, helicopter, etc...) might be better, but I think it'd be cool if it worked similarly to clockwork, creating a mechanical form based upon the words used.  A tank would result from "Great Tough Steel Vehicle", while a helicopter would be "Levitating Adamantine Vehicle", a motorcycle from a poor roll with good words...

Other machines are somewhat difficult to apply well.  How much use is a conveyor belt for a wizard?  Why would someone summon a functional one, rather than one made out of lava?  Same for the fan, or pump, when would it be usable?  Maybe someone could create some sort of jury rigged aircraft out of a really big fan, I guess.
You could make a conveyor belt out of lava. "Lava Conveyor" specifically.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2017, 07:58:15 pm »

Would that be a conveyer belt made of lava, or a conveyer belt that moves lava?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2017, 07:59:16 pm »

Well, it would be made of lava, but no reason it couldn't move it too

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2017, 09:35:52 pm »

Well, it would be made of lava, but no reason it couldn't move it too
Or a conveyer belt with a mechanism for turning stone to lava on it, like some sort of infernal assembly line.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2017, 10:44:06 pm »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YSw-m7oaNxjkVhin78vOU_J72NWO06-6g-iZx6PAnZI/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the word list as it exists now. Still kicking around a few ideas about what Marks should do in this game, since their old rules would be OP.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2017, 02:11:05 pm »

How about marks having abilities that last for an amount of time or have a limited amount of uses? Simple marking spells, such as(Mark right arm, Fire)  could provide a small boost, here specifically to an amount of Fire spells involving the right arm. If it was instead Mark caster's eye, it could specifically boost spell accuracy (or reduce the enemy's roll to dodge the spell). More complicated spells, such as (mark right leg, coal, spike, incendiary), would have more intricate effects, such as, here, creating a spike of explosive coal nearby up to 3 or so times. It, specifically, would be activated through the leg, so it would be like a free action while running. And so on.

In fact,  now that I think about it, a lot of gangsters have tattoos. Perhaps players could make permanent magical marks whose uses regenerate at a certain rate (either within a mission or between missions), at the cost of a good amount of words, perhaps some other resource (like Magicurrency), and not being able to mark that part of the body with other marks.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »

TROPER!
BLAM
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2017, 08:48:41 pm »

I'm curious how some of those materials work.  Like music, and heat.  What happens if I try to summon a sword made out of one of those, or an animal?  What if I turn myself into "solid music"?

Also, "cloud" strikes me as weird, since clouds are just elevated fog, but I suppose water vapor in the shape of a sword makes more sense than music in the shape of a sword, so...

Edit: As an actual answer to your question, how about leaving marks OP, but making them very rare?  If cards are created by holding related territory, what would even give mark cards?  You could make them limited to tattoo parlors or something similar, and have them give a slow trickle of random marks, so they're OP but often too precious to use.

Another option would be adding a recycling mechanic, where useless words can be burned to get a random selection of other words, presumably with value heavily affecting the results.  If that were the only way to get tattoos, well, they're not too OP.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2017, 10:07:45 pm »

Add a stat for tattoo arting, which determines how many marks you draw and their effectiveness.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:39 pm »

So marks are going to act as the method for transforming one's own body.  The also have their own conditionals. So now, if you want to, you can turn yourself into a deadman's switch bomb, exploding into flaming black holes when you die. Or turn your arm into a sword that catches fire, but only when you stab it into someone.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2017, 08:10:24 pm »

So marks are going to act as the method for transforming one's own body.  The also have their own conditionals. So now, if you want to, you can turn yourself into a deadman's switch bomb, exploding into flaming black holes when you die. Or turn your arm into a sword that catches fire, but only when you stab it into someone.
In that last case, you'd have to be able to stab someone with your arm first, which is hard enough without armor.  "ATTEMPTING to stab someone with your arm" might be quite a trigger. But, in all honesty, what words/aspects would form those conditionals?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2017, 07:45:54 am »

In that last case, you'd have to be able to stab someone with your arm first, which is hard enough without armor.  "ATTEMPTING to stab someone with your arm" might be quite a trigger. But, in all honesty, what words/aspects would form those conditionals?
Nah, you could use "Steel, sword, When dealing damage, fire" to transform your arm to a steel sword with the last part as the conditional.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2017, 10:59:16 am »

Spear, Bone, When dealing damage, Spikes
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2017, 04:59:36 pm »

Spear, Bone, When dealing damage, Spikes
Better yet; Spear, Bone, When dealing damage, Glue.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6