Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exile me (looking for a scenario)  (Read 1370 times)

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exile me (looking for a scenario)
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:34:08 am »

I noticed that at the same time I complain that game is too easy (utterly broken emotion - (werefox cascade kills almost all, remaining two dwarfs are fine without a single tantrum, next migrant wave leaves me with more than at beginning) and I always start in wooded flat embark with plenty of metals - and I never managed to tweak worldgen to get interesting visitors (this werefox was !!FUN!! and I want to try something like that).

So, I want to try game where I start not from careful selection of place but from arrival of settlers to a fortress. Is somebody interested in sharing latest interesting embark location with me? A bit of story/bonus rules would be fun ("expedition of exiled scholars" is more interesting than "lol, everybody has skill only in astronomy and optical engineer, lol, and there is only one pick, lol" - even if ingame situation is the same).

My requirements:
- save generated in the latest version
- mention mods if some are included
- 2x2 or 1x1 area (for FPS purposes)
- without features resulting in certain and quick FPS death
- something at least theoretically survivable for some time

Note that description of location is not necessary - surprise and looking around hopefully will be fun.

I was surprised that I was unable to find something like that (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sample_Starting_Builds is about meticulous planning before start what is killing fun and !!FUN!! for me)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exile me (looking for a scenario)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:15:17 am »

Edit: I realised too late that this is not what you were talking about at all :-)

One of the most fun scenarios I did recently was a fortress where the dwarfs were very poor.  I did the minimalist survival challenge from the wiki: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Playstyle_challenge#Minimalist.2FSurvivalist_build.  But as fate would have it, my world was very mineral poor, so copper was not available.  I stupidly picked silver instead, not realising that you can't build a pick with silver.  From that point on I decided to go for super minimalist: no pick and no trading with the caravan.  My backstory was that these were renegade dwarfs who shunned normal dwarfish society.  They would get everything from the land.  Since they had no food and no booze, they had to gather plants.  If they wanted meat, they would have to hunt.  If they wanted livestock, they would have to capture animals and breed them.

No pick means no rock and no metal, which means no mechanisms and no weapons at the beginning of the game.  As dwarfs join the noble cause, their metal items can be melted down and used for weapons and/or mechanisms.  But there is a very limited supply.  The only hope of a reasonable defence is: goblinite.  Or murdering visitors to the tavern.  But NO!  There will be no heathen outlanders allowed in the hallowed halls of this fortress!  Taverns, and temples are for citizens only!  A "meeting room" will be constructed at the bottom of a dark pool for the "outpost liason" and his infectious lies!  No trading post will be constructed and any traders who happen by will simply be ignored.  They are beneath our noble cause and not worth the time to even glance at.

errr... Getting carried away there...  Super fun, though.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:34:10 pm »

I do have an 1x1 embark (that I tweak a bit), but it is resource-rich, in a forested area and genned in 43.03. I assume that you request latest version due generation differences - if you want to just jump in, well...*uploads*

here's slightly tweaked save (more creatures, more towers, single-touch knockout dust clouds, partial air swamp reanimation) just post-embark (6 military and a preferenceless carpenter/leader/novice diagnostician).
Goals...many are possible, but here's 3 semi-unique to the situation:
Kill the first perhaps-summer undead wave by military might, and eventually kill Ener Chuckislands, 1325 year old wolverine man necromancer, founder of 80 towers.
Brew every booze in game.
Create world's first vampire. Weaponize.

But, it sounds to me like you want something more difficult, however. The first that comes to mind is from DF2014: vjek's inhospitable embark (click on dffd link in that post and don't read before or further if you want to go in blind).
While you can transfer it to 43.05 you won't get full library package without modding as DF2016 introduced writing in stuff in your libraries, should you survive. vjek's suggested 5M goal is pretty nice for a check if you can establish a stable fortress on it.

For not using premades, something on your own, or just wholly 43.05, setting up a monster island should be fairly quick.

Alternatively? Try scenario generator.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:25:17 am by Fleeting Frames »

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 10:34:36 am »

Thanks, for now I had hilarious start with http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11275

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.