Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Idea for community human race based mod.  (Read 6737 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Idea for community human race based mod.
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:53:13 pm »

Basically, I got a few races of humans, and I wanna have us work together to add more human races to replace the dwarves, elves, and kobolds. Maybe even have more cultures, workshops and more. So far, I do have "druids" (Humans with elven ways) and cavern dwellers (peaceful cavemen with new club weapons.)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for community human race based mod.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:33:42 pm »

Coincidentally, it just so happens I've been working on a similar project. A bunch of high medieval (roughly 13th century-ish) human civs. So far I've got feudal pseudo-Franks/Germans/French, clannish forest-dwelling sort of vaguely British/Scottish/Scandinavian types with earls and stuff, coastal pseudo-Byzantines and pseudo-Italians (the Italians are very unfinished though), pseudo-Arab sultanates (though they don't have religious buildings yet), alternate pseudo-Persians (who have a religious building but no reactions for it yet), and northerly tundra-dwelling vaguely Baltic/Sami reindeer herder types (kind of like your Icedwellers I guess).

I can post what I've got. Should I include non-vanilla weapons/armor/buildings/reactions (I mean other than the ones I made myself obviously) or try to make vanillafied versions?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:36:04 pm »

Coincidentally, it just so happens I've been working on a similar project. A bunch of high medieval (roughly 13th century-ish) human civs. So far I've got feudal pseudo-Franks/Germans/French, clannish forest-dwelling sort of vaguely British/Scottish/Scandinavian types with earls and stuff, coastal pseudo-Byzantines and pseudo-Italians (the Italians are very unfinished though), pseudo-Arab sultanates (though they don't have religious buildings yet), alternate pseudo-Persians (who have a religious building but no reactions for it yet), and northerly tundra-dwelling vaguely Baltic/Sami reindeer herder types (kind of like your Icedwellers I guess).

I can post what I've got. Should I include non-vanilla weapons/armor/buildings/reactions (I mean other than the ones I made myself obviously) or try to make vanillafied versions?

Either or when it comes to the weapons/armor/buildings/reactions.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:42:36 pm »

Alright. I'll post them when I get back from the store. What's your policy on anatomically-correct bodies? I'd of course include the raws for the non-vanilla bodyparts.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 09:55:36 pm »

Alright. I'll post them when I get back from the store. What's your policy on anatomically-correct bodies? I'd of course include the raws for the non-vanilla bodyparts.

My policy? Eh. It's fine.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 12:24:14 am »

My policy? Eh. It's fine.

Alright. Here's the DFFD link. I was gonna post it in spoiler'd chunks, but oh my fucking god that would've taken literally forever and I seriously don't have all night. I'd recommend removing the humans from your creature_standard.txt and entity_default.txt if you want to just slap these into your raws. Not technically necessary since they have different names and won't conflict, but otherwise it would beg questions like "if there are just regular humans, then what the hell are these?"

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 12:38:40 am »

Thank you. I'll look at them as soon as I can.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:14:59 am »

I actually remembered that I kind of forgot something. Interactions whose absence would've caused errors. I added those and re-uploaded the file. I also added the graphics.

Now, there are graphics for two civs that I didn't include the raws for: the Selesians, who are hilariously unfinished and might not be included since I don't know what their biomes should be or how to make them unique (they're basically South Slavs - think Bosniaks/Croats/Serbs/Bulgarians - I'm thinking maybe mountain-dwelling clans?), and the Demians, who are almost finished but have a really stupid name.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 10:20:03 am »

I actually remembered that I kind of forgot something. Interactions whose absence would've caused errors. I added those and re-uploaded the file. I also added the graphics.

Now, there are graphics for two civs that I didn't include the raws for: the Selesians, who are hilariously unfinished and might not be included since I don't know what their biomes should be or how to make them unique (they're basically South Slavs - think Bosniaks/Croats/Serbs/Bulgarians - I'm thinking maybe mountain-dwelling clans?), and the Demians, who are almost finished but have a really stupid name.

What are the Demians based on?

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 10:40:37 am »

They're basically sort of like Medieval Italian/Adriatic merchant republics. Think Venice.

Their leadership is almost entirely site-based, their LAND_HOLDER positions are all just clergy sent by the Archbishop. They are "led" by a Duke who is chosen from among the Mayors of each city by the Senators (of which there are multiple types, some of which are [ELECTED]), but the Duke doesn't really have much more power than an individual mayor. Most of the central government is controlled by the senate, whose members can be appointed by basically any other important position, and usually appoints most of the important non-religious civ-level positions in turn. Each city (basically anything that has a market and a population of more than 50) has a senate of its own, which, likewise, does the majority of the actual ruling (or at least, as much as the Mayor; I intentionally made the system messy and ill-defined to try to cause Venetian-style cutthroat political intrigue and power struggles between the senators and the mayor/duke).

The graphics file for the Demians isn't completely finished because, to be completely honest, I don't want to do any more heraldry. It's tough to think of unique coats of arms for each military unit, and it gets really repetitive drawing them all. I mean it was fun at first but I just don't want to do it anymore. I might finish the Demian graphics at some point in the future (no promises though), unless someone else feels like doing it.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 10:43:35 am »

They're basically sort of like Medieval Italian/Adriatic merchant republics. Think Venice.

Their leadership is almost entirely site-based, their LAND_HOLDER positions are all just clergy sent by the Archbishop. They are "led" by a Duke who is chosen from among the Mayors of each city by the Senators (of which there are multiple types, some of which are [ELECTED]), but the Duke doesn't really have much more power than an individual mayor. Most of the central government is controlled by the senate, whose members can be appointed by basically any other important position, and usually appoints most of the important non-religious civ-level positions in turn. Each city (basically anything that has a market and a population of more than 50) has a senate of its own, which, likewise, does the majority of the actual ruling (or at least, as much as the Mayor; I intentionally made the system messy and ill-defined to try to cause Venetian-style cutthroat political intrigue and power struggles between the senators and the mayor/duke).

The graphics file for the Demians isn't completely finished because, to be completely honest, I don't want to do any more heraldry. It's tough to think of unique coats of arms for each military unit, and it gets really repetitive drawing them all. I mean it was fun at first but I just don't want to do it anymore. I might finish the Demian graphics at some point in the future (no promises though), unless someone else feels like doing it.

Oh, interesting! Also, finally taking a look at your mod. The Kletrians are making towns on the water....

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 10:49:54 am »

Oh, interesting! Also, finally taking a look at your mod. The Kletrians are making towns on the water....

Oh shit, I forgot to remove OCEAN_TEMPERATE from their start biomes. Whoops. Re-uploading...

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 10:55:35 am »

Oh shit, I forgot to remove OCEAN_TEMPERATE from their start biomes. Whoops. Re-uploading...

Take your time.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 07:46:04 pm »

So what'd you think of it?

I just uploaded a new version. This one has the Demians, and updated graphics. The Demians aren't quite complete though, and there's probably a lot of refinements to make. Tell me if there are any screw-ups/bugs/terrible ideas.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 07:59:53 pm »

So what'd you think of it?

I just uploaded a new version. This one has the Demians, and updated graphics. The Demians aren't quite complete though, and there's probably a lot of refinements to make. Tell me if there are any screw-ups/bugs/terrible ideas.

Pretty good.

I'll be downloading the new version soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4