Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No longer fear the night! Hero announcements  (Read 939 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No longer fear the night! Hero announcements
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:09:38 pm »

A simple suggestion. Utilize the reputation system in Fortress to bring it more in line with Adventurer by having an announcement when a legendary hero, known to your civ, arrives on the map (as a visitor or a migrant). Kind of fun, possibly useful, increases knowledge of outside world for the player. Now that monster slayers will actually arrive it would be a nice addition.

Obviously included in announcements.txt to make it completely optional.

"Urist McBroadblade the Shining Thong of Freedom has arrived. Protector of the weak. A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry. One less reason to fear the night!".

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No longer fear the night! Hero announcements
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:06:32 am »

Well, I know this isn't a vote, but i second this! would be nice to have some "good" elements in the game, and not only monsters, bloodthirsty unicorns and gods that help demons into this world...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 04:12:07 am »

Thanks. Would be fun to see what the system makes of false identities.

DF: A legendary slayer of beasts has arrived!
Therapist: Dabbling swordsman, novice dodger
Player: Right, the caverns are this way. Have fun!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:59:11 am »

We have champions inside the fortress scheme already that like to show off and exemplify demonstrations, a very neat direction i think we can go with this is to have armies pick up champions from fortresses.

For example, if you become sieged by dwarves, notable champions (beside the army leader, who depending on different factors might not get a announcement) champions drawn from settlements will join the battle as nominated heroes, and in worldgen seek out other diametrically opposed heroes in battles as per the existing worldgen battle system where there are lots of intensive duels.

But i do think the OP's idea is a good one, immediately giving them precedence and perhaps the hero has demands before they decide to lodge a vacancy or citizenship petition which is worthy of their good standing in order to earn another noble champion who'll teach all your dwarves how to fight as well as lead the defense like a mercenary.