Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Precocious human couple arrived in my first migrant wave  (Read 1676 times)

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Precocious human couple arrived in my first migrant wave
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:41:35 pm »

So, I've just downloaded the mod yesterday and I'm having a blast trying to keep a human fort alive.

In my most successful iteration, I received a rather young couple, one peasant and one gelder, of 8 and 9 years old each. I'm not really surprised (since this is a world of fully bearded infants), but I am intrigued. I know that dorfs reach adulthood at 12, and they live far more than humans. So what's the human adult age? Is it the same in vanilla DF? Are the modders OK with things are they are now or ar they planning to extend that a couple of years?

Sidenote: When people say this mod is fun they are not joking. I've really enjoyed the thrill of being ambushed by some tribal naked Goblins in my first year. Does anyone know any background about them? They don't seem to belong to the Goblin faction and appeared as if they were a semi-megabeast attack.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Precocious human couple arrived in my first migrant wave
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:28 pm »

It's a bit young, but for the 1400s that was a pretty normal age to at least be engaged. Youngest pregnancy on record was 6, so married preteens aren't as bad as it possibly could be.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:28:59 am »

lols... I'm ancient... 12 is not a young age for engagement or marriage for humans, It was good enough for 1000s of years... I'm not personally interested... but I still remember when I was 12 being informed by my great grandmother that she had married her one and only husband at 12, 2 months after her birthday, she was his 3rd wife, the first died in childbirth, the second to disease, he was 31... the modern age of under 18 is to young, is really a modern convention. People's attitude towards it is rather a forced out rage added since it became law.  A common effect in human history is that when a law is created, added, enforced, removed etc.  the generation that is present is out raged about it, but in 20 years it becomes the "common sense" to the the next generation.  Pre WWI it was common for women to be married off at 10 to 14, and men to be required to continue to work for their father up until their late teens.

In human history generally ages are pushed to older as a requirement for more time to be invested in training increases, so as education needs and population size increase, ages are pushed toward 18+, such events occurred during augustus ceaser, in spain in the 1200s, in greece 200 BC, etc and such events usually preceded a culling of the group (plagues, wars, etc.).  As population size decrease and skills needed becomes more primal/survivalist in nature... we end up with ages being pushed toward puberty (10-14), such as it was in the americas from throughout the western expansion of the country up to the events that led to WWI. 

So here's a thought experiment:  how many generations do you think it would take before humans revert back to such a level again?  Possible examples of such events that may evoke it: nuclear war, environmental collapse, in the negative and in the positive, new "colonies" say on the moon or mars?   Personally I think that as the amount of skill needed becomes centralized into a specific set of "survive skills" such "places and events" will revert to lower and lower standards, not because they want to, but because they will need to, for survival. 

So yes I can see that some may have an aversion to it... but I think its only an aversion, because they were given a law to make them be averse to it.  kobolds are marrying at 5 and 6 years old... OMG!!!!  blah.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:02 am »

The feral goblins are Dragon's Dogma creatures. They enter the map like regular animals but hidden, which means that technically you could trigger an "ambush" seconds after embarking. All it takes to take care of them is a bunch of scrubs with pointy sticks though.

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 03:51:31 pm »

The feral goblins are Dragon's Dogma creatures. They enter the map like regular animals but hidden, which means that technically you could trigger an "ambush" seconds after embarking. All it takes to take care of them is a bunch of scrubs with pointy sticks though.

They were dispatched by my woodcutters pretty quickly but they attacked in large numbers and managed to overwhelm one of my herbalists before I could react. It was a nice surprise!

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »

It's a bit young, but for the 1400s that was a pretty normal age to at least be engaged. Youngest pregnancy on record was 6, so married preteens aren't as bad as it possibly could be.

I made the same correlation, but I still expected adulthood to come a little later at 12, like the dorfs. The girl just had her first baby, at 10. I'm just glad that childbirth isn't lethal in this game as well.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 07:32:37 pm »

lol wow I just realized it was a human fort... I thought it was kobold lol... well generally a lot of the smaller or more squishy races end up with lower adulthood numbers... meh its a game... realistically I've seen cultured that married girls off a puberty, and generally speaking thats determined by environment... it doesn't bother me much as the younger they are considered adults the faster their civ expands and generally humans are expected to spread quicker than most.   I've rarely played any fort long enough for kids that were born in the fort to reach adulthood and never really paid it much attention... but I do find its funny that anyone would think programmers would have an issue with it...

side note when I said that the faster a race reaches adulthood affects the rate of civ expansion... I'm not kidding...  really the race adulthood age is the number one thing for expansion, with the ability to smelt metals being the second... lol.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal