Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 139425 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #1350 on: October 23, 2017, 05:54:25 pm »

Mobile Cover
[Time: 2 Progress: 6 Cost: 1]

There's something very... Witch Hunter-esque about how the Mobile Cover project begins arranging itself- a faint aroma of wasted time and burning money that induces migraines in any budget officers who linger near the labs for two long.

The idea is straightforward. Take a piece of wood, add some reinforcement, slap in a power system with a handful of trims, link it to a small core, and boom! Instant moving wall.. Unfortunately, the details are a bit more complex. Designed to be used indoors, where aether isn't constantly replenished by moving currents of air, the efficiency of the cover is a major issue. Shroud strength, trim number, trim position, cover geometry, all are variables played with by the engineering team. Sadly, 'played' is all too accurate a descriptor.

In an effort to combat the paranoia of the grenade project, the engineers have been divided into teams. Each team works to create a design, and then the teams are shuffled when each phase is tested. While it has succeeded in building group relationships, it's also resulted in design testing sessions with a great deal of drinking and betting on which paradigm will emerge triumphant. Sadly triumph is usually marked by the costly destruction of all the other paradigms. In short, the engineers work enthusiastically, just not cheaply or quickly.

Mobile Cover: 6/15 | 3 Crystal, 2 ore, 3 Wood, + 4 from any combination of COW | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing invested

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13(+10)/y Crystal, 26/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 36/85 banked
19/y Wood, 93/95 banked
10/y Silk, 24/50 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 2 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 23, 2017, 06:24:03 pm »

Well I suppose we deserved to get some crappy rolls eventually...

Anyway, I suggest the following:

Webbed SkySkiffs
All our ships are designed for trim crystals, yet trim webs are much more efficient. By redesigning the hull layout with trim webs in mind, we can reduce the refit costs for webs. Naturally, we'd have to pay some sort of refit cost if we wanted to use trim crystals instead, but we have a specific hull design for that already. As part of this action, we update the Natalie pattern to stay in line with this design, as that patter uses trim webs.

Vanguard Serpent
The Vanguard can be fitted into a pair of small mounts, poorly. By planning specifically for the Viper, we can customise the modifications needed to give the Vanguard gunners the best experience possible.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 23, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »

Grenade mounting.

The tips of which hunter boys can be removed and a grenade screwed into place. This means explosives can be launched from a distance, to devastating effect.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 23, 2017, 08:19:46 pm »

Well I suppose we deserved to get some crappy rolls eventually...

Anyway, I suggest the following:

Webbed SkySkiffs
All our ships are designed for trim crystals, yet trim webs are much more efficient. By redesigning the hull layout with trim webs in mind, we can reduce the refit costs for webs. Naturally, we'd have to pay some sort of refit cost if we wanted to use trim crystals instead, but we have a specific hull design for that already. As part of this action, we update the Natalie pattern to stay in line with this design, as that patter uses trim webs.
This would likely get us two Natalie skiffs per turn. That would be amazing.
Having a second Natalie skiff per turn would certainly lower our Royal Topaz production to almost nothing. That's bad.
We should try to get one Natalie skiff + 1 normal trim web skiff per turn. Even the non-topaz skiff would be an upgrade from standard due to trim webs, and it leaves us topaz for our Marines and Vipers.

Vanguard Serpent
The Vanguard can be fitted into a pair of small mounts, poorly. By planning specifically for the Viper, we can customise the modifications needed to give the Vanguard gunners the best experience possible.
It would be better to revise a generic medium mount onto the Viper.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 26, 2017, 05:18:48 am »

Naming Suggestion
Skyskiff: Janus
Webbed Skyskiff: Februum

Essentially we relate the skyskiff to months of the year with Natalie being a special event.

Quote from: Revision Phase - 2 Dice
Revisions:
Webbed SkySkiffs: [1] Talion
Vanguard Serpent:
Grenade mounting:

Hold 1 die: [1] Talion

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 26, 2017, 05:30:41 am »

Vanguard Serpent
It would be better to revise a generic medium mount onto the Viper.

I imagine we'd get more general utility with that, but I figured that by limiting it to just a Vanguard on just a Viper we'd get enough of a bonus that we'd actually get a half decent result. If people prefer to do a generic medium mount instead though, I can get behind that.

Revisions:
Webbed SkySkiffs: [2] Talion, Kashyyk
Vanguard Serpent:  [1] Kashyyk
Grenade mounting:

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:51 am »

Alright, I'd like to run the phase before tomorrow, but I'll give you a bit more time if you wanted to break the tie.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 26, 2017, 10:55:58 am »

Revisions:
Webbed SkySkiffs: [3] Talion, Kashyyk, NAV
Vanguard Serpent:  [2] Kashyyk, NAV
Grenade mounting:

Do we have to choose whether to switchc to Natalie skiffs now? Because we get the topaz production with the revisions.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 26, 2017, 11:04:16 am »

Revisions:
Grenade mounting: [1] helmacon

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 26, 2017, 11:16:25 am »

Good point. I imagine Draig would appreciate us mentioning that now.

Revisions:

Switch to Natalie Skiffs?
Yes: [1] Kashyyk
No:

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 26, 2017, 11:27:46 am »

Good point. I imagine Draig would appreciate us mentioning that now.

Yes, yes I would.
---

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 26, 2017, 11:38:57 am »

Revisions:

Switch to Natalie Skiffs?
Yes: [2] Kashyyk, NAV
No:

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 26, 2017, 02:16:27 pm »

Webbed Skyskiffs
Efficacy: 1+1
Refitting skyskiffs to run webs should have been the kind of minor, nearly painless, revision that engineers make without a second thought. Emphasis on 'should'. For some bizarre reason, most of the groun-up skiff designs to natively use trim webs have been running into... structural issues. Which is engineering speak for breaking up during flight. The only viable new hull design is heavily overbuilt, scarcely saving on wood at all- with the justification that the additional wood is needed 'to counter sudden and unexpected FOE*s endemic to the design'. Running the Natalie over to this design gives small improvements in overall max production, but is still too inefficient to match basic Skyskiff production.

*A Kasgyrite engineering acronym meaning Failure of Existence.

Webbed Skyskiff
Skyskiff 9 wood, 2 ore for one.
A heavily over-designed skiff designed to natively mount trim webs. Incurs no wood cost for mounting trim webs instead of trim crystals, bringing the unit web cost down to 1C 1O.

She has no usable cargo capacity.
Armament
2 light cannon mounts. One on each side.
Requires:
1 Core Crystal (Up to Very Small in size)
1 Lift Crystal (Up to Very Small in size)
2 Trim Webs
2 reams of webbing

Vanguard Serpent
Efficacy: 5
It takes a bit of clever reworking of the hull, and a bit of reinforcement to allow for the creation of air vents in the armored bow section to draw heat off the gunners, but the 'Vanguard' variant of the viper is theoretical workable and useful. Gunners will no longer be subjected to hell's sauna when firing, and improved forward slotting allows the gunners to get a better picture ahead of them. Problematically, the refit changes the spacing for the cannon mounts in such a way as to make them awkward for standard kettleguns, and backfitting small cannons into the bow section is definitely not recommended, but she'll work well with the Vanguard.

Viper Corvette, Vanguard Variant: 13 wood, 7 ore for one. 3 wood, 4 ore to refit from basic Viper class.
A Variant of the Viper designed to handle four Vanguard mounts in the bow section. While specialization inhibits the bow from effectively mounting anything else, she's capable of mounting a Vanguard with relative ease and comfort.

She has no usable cargo capacity.
Armament
4 Specialized Bow Mounts, Vanguard Cannon
2 Aft Light Cannon Mounts
Armor
None intrinsic
Can mount two sections of armor on the head.
Requires:
1 Core Crystal (At least small, up to medium)
1 Lift Crystal (At least small, up to medium)
4/8/12 Trim Crystals for poor/avg/good performace
6 reams of webbing

Spire Kasgyre's production stands at,
13(+10)/y Crystal, 26/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 36/85 banked
19/y Wood, 93/95 banked
10/y Silk, 24/50 banked

It is now the production, deployment, and tactics phase.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Current Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:49:29 pm by Draignean »
---

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 26, 2017, 02:24:50 pm »

Recieve Topaz production options please?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 26, 2017, 02:35:35 pm »

It's all fixed.

Let us never speak of this again.
---
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 178