Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 139395 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:53 pm »

Interesting idea. I have one question. How do we stop them from going splat when they land?

Also, we should look into medieval weapons tech. Bows, crossbows, ballistae. Because a crossbow would be much more reliable than a musket while still offering good killing potential and anti-magic.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:33:33 pm »

Joining in for the Kasgyr

Let's first refer to the design of a invading marine launcher, while the idea seems very experimental and well eccentric... I just see that the required design effort outweighs the effectiveness of such a design. The primary focus should be on a more powerful ship and more reliable cannons.

Designs should be spent on naval superiority like trying to focus on a larger ship and than ways for bombardment and improvements to our small-arms fire. Crossbow, let's refer to it's as the "Witch Hunter" are very effective because of their improved range and reloading capacity for the weakness that the rounds are less armor-piercing abilities. Some of sort of development into some sort of primitive mortar, as mortars have a better ability at eliminating infantry and ignoring cover like rocky caverns and hills. While cannons are better at stationary targets, like the large ships we are going to fight upon. A method of out-performing our enemies through range and bombardment is my opinion is the best route.

Some sort of +1 vote for 2-3 of our dice going for a large ship like the Crab, and a +1 for 1-2 dice be spent on a "Witch-Hunter" crossbow.

Edit: +1 on spending 3 dice on Crossbows; after a clearer interpretation of the rules it means you need to dedicate a full 3 dice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:13:04 am by Shadowclaw777 »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:56:06 pm »

+1 for a crossbow actually.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 11:03:31 pm »

+1 witch hunter crossbow.
Wooden stock, steel bow clad in bronze, cranequin loading mechanism, bronze bolts.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 12:09:31 am »

May I remind you that we only have 25 marines to move around in the first place.

You have 25 squads of marines. So, about 400 individual marines.

Some sort of +1 vote for 2-3 of our dice going for a large ship like the Crab, and a +1 for 1-2 dice be spent on a "Witch-Hunter" crossbow.

Remember guys, designs need a minimum of 3 dice.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 04:54:07 am »

Okay.  The design below is very ambitious,  but I feel that as we have four turns to spend on development,  I think it would be advisable to spend all of them on one project. We will never be able to do something like that again,  because we'd always have to be reacting in some way to Wreth's designs. Thus,  I give to you:

The Titan Warship
Taking the hull shape of an egg, with rounded facing fore,  it is 75ft long and 30ft at its widest near the rear.it bears a fore and aft castle, similar to a naval ship, but  extending below the ship as well as above.   Along each side, are the main gun batteries. There are two gun decks, each presenting 6 guns per flank, for a total of 12 guns aside. Due to the ships egg shape all these guns will be able to fire on the forward arc, and half to each side arc, half will be able to present a downward arc and half an upwards arc. 4 more guns sit in the forecastle, 2 above and 2 below and an additional 4 in the aft castle, again split above and below. Thus this shape can leverage the majority of its fire in the front hemisphere,  ideal for attacking, for a total of 32 guns. Finally, to weather the guaranteed retaliation,  it is designed to carry heavier plating then we can currently build.

To maintain this threat level, the ship is expected to need multiple core crystals, possibly in the region of 6 small ones to cover all power usage. Trim and lift crystals as well, will likely be 4-6 of each. Finally it is expected to need 15 reams of webbing.

As this ship is going to be quite expensive resources wise and need a lot of development;, we will need to design it now if we intend to do it at all. Similarly if we want to develop any other  large projects instead,  we should start it now.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 05:15:25 am »

If we designed that, would we even be able to build it? Don't we only have small shipyards right now? I mean, the description specifically says 'Provides a single production line that can be used for any small or smaller production pattern.' The huge megaproject I'd like to do, if we're going to do one, would be to make a giant dockyard complex so we can outbuild our foes. Though honestly not doing a mega-project and getting some crossbows and such gear is also somewhat appealing, we just don't really have the infunstructure to take advantage of a mega-project yet. Even if we had the dock space to build a giant ship, I don't know if we'd have the resources to produce them in any useful numbers.

Also, joining Spire Kasgyr.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 05:19:45 am »

There's one problem with that design Kashyyk; we don't have the shipyards to build such a ship.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 06:01:57 am »

The way I interpreted it,  The small docks are for the mass production without resource cost designs.  We can still build individual ships by paying the resource cost.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:20 am »

The way I interpreted it,  The small docks are for the mass production without resource cost designs.  We can still build individual ships by paying the resource cost.

Because it's arbitrary what kind of ship falls in what 'class', you will technically be able to construct this monster if you made it. However, she'd probably cripple your resources to build anything. You have the tech, at the moment, to build small and very small core/lift crystals. You'll need a bunch of both just to keep the thing in the air. Since you really haven't done any project before that uses many lift/core crystals used synchronously, that means it's going to be rife with glitches and the potential to regularly burn out very expensive components.

You could probably technically build it, but, even in the best of circumstances, you don't really have the tech to make it into an effective vessel, and the costs would be extraordinary. I'd classify her as a medium vessel, which means her base frame cost would also be higher than normal due to inadequate infrastructure.

I'm telling you this now to help you get a feel for things, but I probably won't be this helpful later on.

Edit: Unless there are any objections soon, I'll lock in the crossbow.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:46:57 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 08:07:46 am »

Wait, why are we going for a crossbow? A composite bow would have a better fire rate and be a little more wieldy in close quarters.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 09:18:59 am »

Because the Crossbow got suggested first? Idduno bowlore, so if you think Composite Bows would be better, I'd be willing to vote for them instead.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 09:33:38 am »

I'm not one to disregard the GM when they advise against something. I do think we should focus our attentions on a long project though, as we won't get the opportunity to throw 20 dice at one thing ever again.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 09:40:16 am »

Same here, I'd +1 a bow design.

When we're done with that one, I think we should go with a heavy cannon turret for the spires. It would probably help a lot in defense against anything that isn't one of the starting ships, and it would have the potential to be revised into future large ships.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 09:50:02 am »

We only get 5 dice kas
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 178