Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 139171 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 11:27:52 am »

Crossbow: More powerful, fires first shot quicker, can fire while prone or behind cover, requires much less training
Bow: Higher rate of fire, longer range, smaller and lighter, less material required

They both have advantages and disadvantages.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 11:32:23 am »

We only get 5 dice kas

It's four turns of development with five dice each. Thus twenty dice before we start the war.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 12:05:35 pm »

Priorities:
Transportation, Weaponry, Infrastructure, in that order. If we outnumber them then we have the edge. Crossbows are good and I recommend we Bank 1 Die this turn so we can start 2 Designs next turn.

Quote from: Plan: Better, Faster, Stronger
Design: 3 Dice: Larger Core Crystal: Everything comes down to the power we're able to give our ships. The larger the crystal, the more power we can put out, which will allow for stronger/faster firing ship weaponry, faster ships, and larger cargo holds.
Revision: 1 Die: Larger Core Crystal Slot On Existing Skyskiff Designs: It will allow us to put our new Crystals to immediate use once we finish them.
Bank: 1 Die: So we can start 2 Designs next turn, one of which would be the Crossbow.

The strategy I have in mind is to make many fast cheap ships with either decent guns or large cargo holds, that will be able to out run and outnumber the opposition. The more Marines we can get to a demispire, the faster we can take it and give ourselves a resource advantage. I personally want to push The Unfinished as swiftly as possible, to gain the Crystal benefit as well as the Mountain position right next to it, but that's for later into the game to sort out. Right now the goal is to allow us to expand as swiftly as possible once we're allowed to.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 12:07:11 pm »

We also need to ensure we have the resources to build larger things as well, and the infrastructure too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2017, 12:08:06 pm »

Indeed, though fast expansion should allow us to gain such resources.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2017, 12:19:57 pm »

You know what would be great for everyone? Voteboxes.

Witch-Hunter Crossbow
[Time: 5+2 Progress: 2 Cost: 4+1]

The Witch-Hunter is straightforward design, built on older technology but made to compete in the present. When the engineers finally get a prototype together, she'll be crank reloaded, and as beautiful as an instrument of war can be. Which actually seems to be the main hold up at the moment, as Kasgyr engineers can't quite decide what pattern of brass fittings most gloriously contributes to the weapon's fearsome appearance. The engineers are embarrassed to report that the do not have a prototype ready.

Witch-Hunter Crossbow: 2/7 | 1 Wood OR 1 Ore | Rushed 0 times | Nothing Invested

It is the now the Revision Stage, you have two dice left. You may make revisions, or vote for 'No Revision' to bank the dice for the next round.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 01:06:30 pm »

Well, that seems like a waste. Its not even a repeating crossbow.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »

Darn we should have gone for repeating why didn't you suggest that earlier?
Can we revise the crossbow to repeating now?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 01:12:55 pm »

Because I try to sleep at night? I was still going in the mindset of "breachloading light cannon for acting as punt gun or some form of large, multipurpose ship"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 01:13:33 pm »

Quote from: Light Aether Cannon
1 Crystal, 1 Ore for one.  A small cannon, capable of being mounted on deck without reinforcement. Fires powerful blasts of aetheric energy, and uses a removable block of copper as a heat-sink. Relatively inaccurate, short ranged, hot, power hungry, and prone to exploding violently if hit directly by enemy fire. Still, it can blow wood into flaming cinders and will melt through light plating in a few shots.
I suggest we revise the cannon, by replacing the copper block with a copper canister of water and cooling pipes wrapped around the barrel and whatever other bits heat up. This might reduce the ore cost (but that's not the goal), instead the plan is to reduce he chance of overheating, which will be safer for the gunner and allow a higher rate of fire. Edit: It'd also be more efficient, as water's Specific Heat Capacity is way higher than copper.

Draig, if we were two throw two dice at the Crossbow project next turn, and it get's completed on the first, what happens to the second die?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 01:21:32 pm by Kashyyk »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »

Draig, if we were two throw two dice at the Crossbow project next turn, and it get's completed on the first, what happens to the second die?

You lose the additional resources invested, but you get the extra die back for revisions.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 02:10:34 pm »

So, Spend two dice now revising the Witch-Hunter to a repeating crossbow?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2017, 02:14:31 pm »

So, Spend two dice now revising the Witch-Hunter to a repeating crossbow?

You don't have a prototype. As per the rules, you cannot make revisions until you at least have a prototype.
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2017, 02:19:33 pm »

Quote from: Votes
First die:
Light Aetheric Cannon - Improved Cooling : [1] Kashyyk

Second die:
Bank it : [1] Kashyyk

I suppose we should make it official.

You lose the additional resources invested, but you get the extra die back for revisions.
  Good to know for when we inevitably fail an expense roll.

Next question, could we use both dice on a single revision? On two different revisions?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 02:30:12 pm »

Quote from: Votes
First die:
Light Aetheric Cannon - Improved Cooling : [2] Kashyyk, NAV

Second die:
Bank it : [2] Kashyyk, NAV

Repeating crossbows are much weaker and less accurate and shorter range than normal crossbows.
I think the best course would be to revise a repeating variant as an assault weapon once we get a working prototype. Then we'd have a powerful long range sniper crossbow and a short range assault crossbow.

And of course we should design a frontal broadside ship of the line before the battles start.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:34:10 pm by NAV »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 178