Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 147848 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »

Be sure to check out the Core Thread that has all the rule updates for this game

For centuries, the proud people of Spire Wreth have worked tirelessly to claim the sky as their own. Every new farm, every new habble settled, every new Demi-spire visited, is a victory for Spire Wreth, and for humanity itself. It is the manifest destiny of Spire Wreth to own these skies, and to unite every stone and every timber not poisoned by the taint of the surface towards the same glorious purpose.

And yet there are individuals, crass and uncultured, who would defy this purpose. Individuals who would hoard the resources of the spires like a rat stealing bread from a baker. Spire Kasgyre. Their touch defiles whatever they create, and they have been tolerated long enough. For decades we have pressed against their idiocy, trying in vain to bring them some semblance of unity and reason, but they've failed to learn anything of value. Yet we tried, and what did we get in return? Wrath and flames. An unprovoked attack on all that we have built! Hundreds dead by the cannon and cutlass!

Enough. We are Spire Wreth, and we fear no man or monster. We will take Spire Kasgyre, cleanse its people, and use its strength to rule the Sky!

To play for Spire Wreth, post here. You can only play for one side, so choose wisely. If you do choose to play for this team, be respectful of the other team and stay out of their thread.

To start off with, you need to pick which of the nearest Demi-spires your team retained after the initial skirmish. It can be any of the spires marked in Wreth territory. You should probably also name those spires to make them more interesting. After that we'll be entering into a four year long development phase that will simulate your nation's unique pre-war tech. This will go fast, even with limited votes, so getting in early has power.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Starting Technology

Spoiler: Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tactics (click to show/hide)

Battle Reports Thus Far

356AR (3)
355AR (2)
354AR (1)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:13:54 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Wreth
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:04:57 pm »

I haven't played an arms race game since "Design Engineers of the Republic" many eons ago...

Count me in! Spire Wreth shall wreck all opposition!

As for a design:

The obvious starting point is a simple bronze cannon.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:20:20 pm »

Alright. Let's have the left demi-spire.

Quote from: Votes
Which Demi-Spire should we take?
Left: (1) NUKE9.13
Middle:
Right:

Which I suggest we name "The Haze Maze".
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:21:29 pm »

Patched the starting techs in.

All your production lines will start full when the game begins in earnest (after the initial research phase), meaning you will 10 Skyskiffs and 25 marines.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:50:12 pm »

Left sounds good, we need that metal

Left: (1) NUKE9.13, Milo
Middle:
Right:

As for name, what about "Bronze Bastion"?

The first post in the main thread, could each section be spoilered so it is easier to find things?
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 05:57:55 pm »

...are you looking at Kasgyre's demi-spires? Our left demi-spire has 3 ore, and is filled with toxic gas. I like it because it has balanced resources.
Wreth Territory

Left Demi-spire
Marine Presence: K 0/8 |  W 0/8
Territory: 0/4 | 0/4
Resources: 1C, 3O, 1W, 2S
Conditions: Deadly Gas Pockets, significant vertical shafts and steep tunnels.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 06:00:41 pm »

All your production lines will start full when the game begins in earnest (after the initial research phase), meaning you will 10 Skyskiffs and 25 marines.
All? What if we made another dock in this time?

Alright. Let's have the left demi-spire.

Left: (2) NUKE9.13, Nirur
Middle:
Right:

Which I suggest we name "The Haze Maze".
When possible, I prefer 3 Captains, for it's silk.

I propose that the middle is Deathspire.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 06:01:30 pm »

Toxic gas sounds like morale for the marines will suffer (if that matters) but looks like a balanced choice.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:24 pm »

Brainstorming time on what to develop for 4 years.

A ship designed around a giant aetheric cannon. Probably increase ship casualties on both sides, but it will advance our understanding of aetheric cannons greatly.

General improvements to Skyskiff's cannon and crystals. Assuming our full lines start with upgrades, this will be pretty helpful. Maybe we can up it to hold 1 cargo, which will let us quickly get on with initial capturing.

Edit: If we up our infantry gauntlet range/accuracy, and somehow get a cargo space in a combat vessel, we'll have great firepower in the sky.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:36:04 pm by Nirur Torir »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:27:02 pm »

...are you looking at Kasgyre's demi-spires? Our left demi-spire has 3 ore, and is filled with toxic gas.

Yes, yes I was. I dumb. :P

Left: (2) NUKE9.13, Nirur
Middle: Milo
Right:

If we work on bronze cannons instead of aetheric, we will be able to ignore any shields...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 06:30:05 pm »

Here's my suggestion for a starting design: A scattergun. Having some form of aetheric shotgun-cannon to take advantage of the aethersilk webbing's inherent weakness would give us massive maneuvering advantages.

Other than that, I'd go for a general improvement to make all our technologies more efficient from the get-go, followed up by using the last two years to develop a solid warship we can use for years. Actually, we throw a hull in development immediately, with nothing mounted, prioritizing strength and adaptability (Many hardpoints for attaching things). As for spires, well....I'll think on it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 06:32:31 pm »

I personally think a new hull would be something to do later. Early on it will be too expensive to use, and we won't have a good "feel" for the game yet.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:39:33 pm »

I'd like a new hull the size of the transport. The skiff is tiny.

However, what about upping the lift crystal's abilities, the core crystal's shielding (with the power freed from the lift crystal), and trying to give the basic aetheric cannon two shots, since one will pierce a skiff's shields?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 06:47:23 pm »

Here's the thing. Discussion earlier established that webbing to capture Aether almost always protrudes outside a ship's Shroud, because so much webbing is needed. So we make a scattergun using Aetheric tech to take advantage of that disadvantage.

The reason I say HULL is because a hull can basically be infinitely reused as long as the technology isn't changed. For us, if it can be equipped with things, it will work. So, we make something to be equipped with things. Should take a VERY small amount of time.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:05 pm »

On further thought, we might want to wait on a new hull. The skiff's are expensive enough, and we're going to want a second dock, transports, and to outfit marines.

Left: (1) NUKE9.13
Middle: (1) Milo
Right: (1) Nirur
We need that wood for docks and transports.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 187