Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 147672 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 07:07:32 pm »

Which Demi-Spire should we take?
Left: (1) NUKE9.13
Middle: (1) Milo
Right: (2) Nirur, Madman198237

I agree on the wood, which will also allow us to build more ships. My point with the hull is that rolling out new tech is going to take time, but having a platform capable of holding it all would be a great advantage.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 07:20:05 pm »

But we have research time - 4 turns of pure development.

Basic Lift Crystal: [VS 2 Crystal, 2 ore | S 3 Crystal, 2 ore for one] A chunk of crystal the size of a bathtub, heavily reinforced so that it can be locked into a ship's spine. When fed electricity, it will progressively invert gravity's effect on itself, flying upwards and pulling anything attached up with it. This basic model is incredibly power hungry, produces only enough lift for a small ship and internal flaws mean that extreme maneuvers could easily cause it to crack.
We could try to improve our crystal production quality.

Basic Webbing: 2 Silk per ream. Aethersilk webbing, designed to catch hold of aetheric currents and shunt them into a ship's core crystal. Particularly susceptible to fire from aetheric weapons, which will rapidly cause overloads that burn out whole sections of webbing.
Any ideas here? Some sort of surge protection, maybe, along with a fire resistant underweave so it stays relatively in place?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 07:49:20 pm »

Which Demi-Spire should we take?
Left: (1) NUKE9.13
Middle: (1) Milo
Right: (2) Nirur, Madman198237

Alright, well, unless has any major suggestions, you guys are going to get the right Spire. It could use a name, but I'd like to get your resource allocation set up and research started before I finish grilling.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 07:51:38 pm »

Verdant Vista?

The right spire seems pretty green...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 07:52:32 pm »

Question: What exactly can we do during these development turns?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 08:09:48 pm »

Question: What exactly can we do during these development turns?

Answer: The four development turns will act exactly like standard turns with the following exception: You cannot move ships or take territory in any way.

1. Each round you'll get your five dice and go into the design and project maintenance. You make designs and fund projects as normal. After you're done you move on to revisions.
2. Revisions are made as normal. Then you move to construction, there is no deployment information needed, and thus no tactical information needed
3. Constructions are locked in for next round, and new resource values are calculated.
4. Goto 1
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:39 pm »

First turn, let's get started on designing a second small dock. We need it for transports, which we need for doing much of anything, and I'd like to be sure we can start with maxed out transports.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 08:32:38 pm »

That sounds, to me, like a Construction, and not a Design.

Draig?
Also, while you're at it, what does it look like to make a larger dock (Just larger, no fancy improvements or anything)? Mere construction, or does making a larger dock require a design?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth | 350AR
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 08:42:04 pm »

That sounds, to me, like a Construction, and not a Design.

Draig?
Also, while you're at it, what does it look like to make a larger dock (Just larger, no fancy improvements or anything)? Mere construction, or does making a larger dock require a design?

Design. If it doesn't have a price quoted next to it, you can't build it in the construction phase.

First turn, let's get started on designing a second small dock. We need it for transports, which we need for doing much of anything, and I'd like to be sure we can start with maxed out transports.

You have multiple small docks. An indeterminate number of them (so you can hypothetically refit every ship simultaneously), but you haven't developed the infrastructure to support larger dockyards yet.

Your remaining outpost is The Verdant Vista. Wrethian cartographers are pleased by the alliteration, but displeased by the difficulty they have fitting it on existing maps.

It is the beginning of 350 AR. All is well, and there is nothing exceptional to report.

Spire Wreth's production stands at,

11/y Crystal, 11 Banked
8/y Ore, 8 banked
18/y Wood, 18 banked
7/y Silk, 7 banked

It is the beginning of the Design Phase and Project Maintenance Phase. You have 5 Dice to spend.
---

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 08:52:22 pm »

Design Expanded Dockyards: 3 dice - If we are to win this war, we need to land troops, for which we'll need a second production line, dedicated to transports. Given our surplus of wood this should not be a problem.

Expanded Dockyards: 3 dice: (1) Nirur

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 08:53:07 pm »

Well, uh, OK.

So, I'm going to give a four-year rough plan just for fun. We have up to four revisions, four designs, and four project advancements, correct? Every design we knock off could add 3 dice to project advancement as well.

So, designs: New Medium dockyard capable of military construction. One basic hull of medium size (We'll leave it to Draig to define that, I think) to do everything for a while. One aetheric scattergun capable of frying webbing. Finally, a revamped crystal-production setup, focused on quality but keeping efficiency in mind. Revisions would be nice, but, well, given only five dice per turn we get 20 dice, and would be using 12 to make four designs.

That said, this is an IDEAL time to set up infrastructure and play the long-term game, since we don't need to worry about losing anything short term, meaning I'd definitely be open to another infrastructure improvement instead of the scattergun, even if the scattergun system would give us a good early-game lead.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 08:58:32 pm »

I think we need a revise dice so our marines aren't all wrestlers.

I'd like a longer ranged cannon at least. The scattergun might not work if we don't manage to up our power.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 09:01:34 pm »

Take a closer look at the rules. We don't get a design each turn. Designs are supposed to be major projects that take a good bit of effort. We get 4 turns to design so that we have 1-2 new things to field at the beginning of the game.

With luck we will be able to do 2, maaaybe 3 designs.

Therefore I think we should develop the scattergun first. While we are at it make it a gunpowder cannon so we can fire right through shields. Bronze is a perfectly good metal for cannons, so why waste magic on a glorified shotgun?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:03:22 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:28 pm »

I think the silk is so vulnerable because it collects aetheric energy, and catches fire on an overload. Given that it's used by monsterspiders, bronze pellets probably won't do significant damage to it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 09:13:55 pm »

Because this is not MEANT to break down walls and hurt people, it's only purpose is to destroy the webbing that each ship trails outside its shroud. Do that, and the ship is dead in the water. Maneuvering advantages are great, by the way.

In fact, we DO get a design each turn, you can just choose not to have a design. Either way, you can add dice to "Project Maintenance". That said, having only 12 dice for project progress will likely be an issue, and yes, we might need to chop off the scattergun to do it. However, we have two main options for how to win this game: Zerg rush or end-game buildup. Meaning: We either put out three to four straight-out offensive designs and use tactics built to end this game within, say, five turns, or we develop the infrastructure needed to outbuild our opponents.
Remember, in games of strategy there is one simple commandment:
You can win short or win long, never both.

Both tactics have advantages and disadvantages, but a mid-game focus is clumsier, harder to work with, and generally less successful.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 187