Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 147899 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #2550 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:51 pm »

I'd personally bin it and get our 3 dice back, and go again.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: April 06, 2018, 10:06:38 pm »

Err... We don't get any dice back. Project refunds are progress / 6.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: April 06, 2018, 10:42:11 pm »

We only need one solid revision to make it good. It has no bugs. Its cost is comparable to our current gunpowder. It really only had one bad roll. While it has no real progress on the advancement of our gunpowder, the foundation is rock solid. We've worked with worse.

And yeah, we aren't getting anything out of scuttling this project, Tack. We only need 1 or 2 dice to fix it, and it'd cost 3 to restart anyway. Don't forget that it rolled a 6 for Time, so a restart will likely also need more progress to finish which might constitute another die spent. Cheaper to fix, and a restart isn't guaranteed to get us something more usable. More effective? Probably. More buggy? Also probably.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: April 07, 2018, 03:29:51 am »

I don't understand why you say we should wait on revising White Powder. If we roll well (hey, it could happen!), we could get it to a state where we'd be happy finishing it next turn. And if not, well, we don't have anything else super important to revise (Andrea wants to cheapen the ECD, but I don't think we need that many).

Quote from: Votes
White Powder Quality Control: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: April 07, 2018, 04:41:57 am »

I don't understand why you say we should wait on revising White Powder.

Well, it isn't any real hurry, and I figured there were probably other things we should do first, but TBH I can't think of any right now... So, pending anyone thinking of a more critical revision:

White Powder Quality Control: (2) NUKE9.13, Milo

(I think that 2 ECDs is just right, and we already have one...)
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: April 07, 2018, 01:41:11 pm »

So, we can harvest pieces of broken spirestone from the rubble that was TU. We would need to control the airspace and launch an expedition (presumably a design?) to do this, but we can do it, per word of GM. Something like:

Unfinished Rubble Expedition: The collapse of the Unfinished has almost certainly caused the site to gain value, as we can now acquire pieces of broken spirestone from the rubble. This is an incredible boon, as spirestone is ordinarily indestructible. Even though we can't shape it, just some jagged chunks lashed to the sides of a ship could make it all-but invincible. Likewise, a portable spirestone shield would be immune to attack, making our marines' jobs a lot safer. Of course, that means diving into the mists and searching for suitably-sized pieces. We must launch an expedition post haste to research the feasibility of scavenging in this manner. The modification of a transport into a dedicated rubble-scavenger ship could be necessary, depending on the expedition's conclusions.

This is obviously not something we want to do right now, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: April 07, 2018, 02:25:08 pm »

Finally caught up. I was going to just read the other thread and stay neutral but I got attached. I'm not too familiar with the IP this comes from, but is it safe to assume that the mist itself might hold unknown properties we could eventually utilize (similar to cloud residue in New Vegas' Dead Money dlc)? I only ask because if we eventually go for some of that sweet spirestone we might as well get ourselves some...aerological (?) Survey teams, do some research on the mist, aether, maybe the calm and the everstorm too. Just a little thing to mull over while we mull over the possibility of recovery teams.

In fact, surface recovery teams might not be too terrible an idea outside of the spirestone. All those ships that have been and will be lost, especially those that didn't just plummet, might have some recoverable pieces. In the case of our opponents, perhaps things we could reverse engineer, or at the very least get a clear picture of what's being fought.

Also, if our enemies were nice and quick and unified with their latest decisions, I fully expect a new design popping up that they had in the works. Your guess is as good as mine on what it is, but I feel like we're going to get hit hard somewhere, so don't be disheartened. Especially since I think the cost for doing whatever it is might be part of the reason why we've seen underarmed and -armored ships.

Man posting from a phone sucks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: April 07, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »

In fact, surface recovery teams might not be too terrible an idea outside of the spirestone. All those ships that have been and will be lost, especially those that didn't just plummet, might have some recoverable pieces. In the case of our opponents, perhaps things we could reverse engineer, or at the very least get a clear picture of what's being fought.

The surface is covered with evil creepy crawlies. That said, expeditions aren't impossible. We gather our stuff from them.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: April 07, 2018, 02:50:16 pm »

The mist is home to horrible monsters as well, so anything other than short dives are not recommended. Since the rubble is said to peek above the mist when the mist is low, we shouldn't need to dive all the way to the surface to collect spirestone.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: April 07, 2018, 03:11:40 pm »

Oh that's good about the spirestone. And I figured even if we did some sort of surface team that at best it'd be a "ship went down at these coordinates, dive in, nab what can be nabbed if you see it and get back out". Though I do still think that teams dedicated to researching mist and aether at some point in the future would be beneficial, though not anywhere near priority.

We could call it the Mist, Aethers, and Related Substances (M.A.R.S.) Project.

Also in the future, what would be the opinion on a snatch and grab ground tactic, where we have a squad focus on prisoner capture? The way this ar is run compared to most others I've seen means we have to guess what advancements our opponents have made, and interrogating an enemy officer in triplicate might reveal some juicy deets.

I feel bad for you, ebbor. I keep accidentally joining the team you're on and forcing you to deal with my newbie legs. At least we're both able to defend our opinions without getting salty.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: April 08, 2018, 09:31:26 am »

White Powder Quality Control: (3) NUKE9.13, Milo, 10ebbor10

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: April 09, 2018, 02:24:09 pm »

You have about an hour until I begin processing revisions.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: April 09, 2018, 05:58:40 pm »

White Powder Quality Control
Efficacy: 5
Forcing the processing equipment to be made as tidy as the paperwork originally sent to explain the... failings of the White Powder has the effect of markedly improving the general efficacy of the powder. While the powder still generates an amount of smoke, the effect can be considered approximately half that of a normal black powder charge, and barrel corrosion is dramatically reduced- which will approximately double the time our rifles can be expected to last- if meticulously cared for.

Spire Wreth's Production Stands At,
13/y Crystal, 48/65 Banked
19(+2)/y Ore, 21/95 banked
19/y Wood, 85/95 banked
10/y Silk, 44/50 banked

It is now production, deployment, and tactics phase.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misc. Goods (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: April 09, 2018, 08:40:10 pm »

I'm quite happy with this.
Should we put in an effort to further revise it? Maybe purity of chemicals?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: April 09, 2018, 08:42:46 pm »

Maybe later as a low priority. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it isn't as awesome as I vaguely hoped, but it is plenty good enough for me to be happy.

Anyway, what plans do we have for this turn?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 187