Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251]

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 201750 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I do, I think I've averaged about 0,7 games/day or so this year so I'm not too active though.

Tier 1 is full of bots and new people. It should take about 60 games to get to tier 5 at which point you'll start getting competitive opponents regularly.

Which nation or tank did you start with? I'd recommend USSR and US for a new player, heavy and medium tank lines.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I played a few with the loltractor and the russian one, they're all right. Then I started on the T1 which is pretty fun, that 5 shot cannon can tear stuff to shreds, then scoot away while reloading.
I might play the german line first as I've always been a panzer fanboy, though the British Tanks are pretty interesting.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just beware that the first German tank that can somewhat rely on armor by just pointing front to target is the Tiger 2, at tier 8. Before that it takes effort, thought and luck to bounce or resist hits, yes, even for Tiger I.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

TBH German tanks were kind of shitty, but from what I've seen they should be alright ingame. Nobody has 7.62 milimeter anti tank rifles, RPGs, ditches, artillery by the hundreds, suicidal sachel charges, Molotov cocktails, mines, etc. 
Actually I might stick with British cruisers, speed is my first love.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem with the german tanks is that they filled the tree up with nonexistent and prototype tanks. This leaves the real tanks like the tiger 1 at an odd position in the tech tree and only going against its historical foe tanks, which it did well against, during the luckiest of matchmaking setups. And more likely to fight tanks from late war and even into korean and vietnam era. you can potentially end up with a t-54 fighting a tiger 1. And very commonly you'll see IS and IS-3s.

The obly upside is they realized this problem and gave the tiger 1 an impossibly fast and unhistorically powerful gun. It helps and you can do eell, but don't depend on the tiger's historically good armor for the period becuase that rarely comes into play in wot

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The top gun on the tiger 1 is not unhistorically  powerful. In fact it's probably a bit underpowered in WoT actually if we disregard the fast reload..
What's unhistorical is that the gun is mounted in a Tiger 1 at all because it literally wouldn't fit in the turret.

However imho the tiger1 is one of the best heavies at its tier because of its gun that manages to be a threat to tier 8 heavies and with careful aiming even some tier 9's.

Also no don't even think about relying on the Tiger2's armor unless you hide the lower glacis AND your opponent is tier 7. Tier 8 heavy tanks can just put shells through the turret front and those without the needed pen can just perforate the lower glacis.

I played a few with the loltractor and the russian one, they're all right. Then I started on the T1 which is pretty fun, that 5 shot cannon can tear stuff to shreds, then scoot away while reloading.
I might play the german line first as I've always been a panzer fanboy, though the British Tanks are pretty interesting.
Honest suggestion. Get the KV-1 and learn to angle its armor.
It's pretty literally the best tank at tier 5 for money grinding.
The armor is great. The guns are very good and the speed is acceptable.

Also an AT-2 might be a fun idea if you want to get a taste of playing something with hilarious amounts of armor.
To put things into context... some tier 5 tanks have issues penetrating its side armor and it's basically untouchable to tier 4 tanks unless they get to fire at it's thin rear armor.
And it's only weakspot is the 100 mm thick rounded coupola (the KV-1 for comparison has 75 mm thick hull armor all around and it's top turret has 110 mm all around) you have to hit dead on or your shell will bounce off and many tier 4-5 tanks have around 110 penetration on their guns so even a square hit can just get a low penetration roll and get bounced.
A really hilarious machine overall when you get to play it as top tier.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeh Tiger I is good. It just cant rely on its armor.

KV-1 indeed is one of the best if not the best beginner learner tank which is why I suggested ussr heavies.  :)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3757 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:38 am »

Been a while since anyone has posted (which is probably because not a lot has changed since last year) but today we got our hands on HD maps/the new graphics engine on the sandbox server. The maps look like they're from a proper 2015-2017 AAA title now, which is good. Armored Warfare and Warthunder look pretty bad in comparison. You guys might want to check it out if you have sandbox access, or keep an eye on when it releases onto live. Performance hasn't been impacted too badly, but I did end up losing ~10 frames on max settings, from ~65 to ~55 on large maps.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #3758 on: October 11, 2017, 09:41:22 am »

Aw man, WoT finally got good and I can't play it because potato laptop.

RIP me.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: October 11, 2017, 12:09:51 pm »

You're not missing out on much tbh. I occasionally come back to the game since there isn't any alternatives (well there's WT, but Gaijin are such moneygrubbing shitlords that I'm not touching that thing again and AW is kinda dead in the water) and the last couple of patches were horrible. Mostly because of the changes to the matchmaking and certain tanks being introduced that completely shit on lower tier stuff.

Last try was a couple weeks ago and of the 30 matches I've played, the only ones where I wasn't cannon fodder at the bottom of the list were 2 games and about 10 games where I was playing T10 tanks. And even then it's gold spam galore, which is understandable because WG has been doing passes on various tanks, buffing their armor to stupid (and very unhistorical) levels, they claim they want to make armor relevant, but all they've really accomplished is most peope simply loading gold after the first shot bounces, because suprise suprise, the buffed armor is completely ignored by gold. Except in certain cases like the Maus line where the T8-9 tanks can shrug off T6-7 gold without any trouble, meaning that either your team kills the giant fuckoff tank or you literally cannot do anything about it.

tl;dr If you want imbalanced shit that favors folks with money to burn, WoT is increasingly becoming that.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: October 11, 2017, 12:34:22 pm »

It was always that.  Almost every tech tree has dead tanks that are downright awful for where they are in the tiers that are just there to grind through or pay to get past so you can get back to playing actually useful tanks.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: October 11, 2017, 02:57:57 pm »

Well yeah, you had shitty tanks that you had to suffer trough, but it got really bad in the last year or so with the constant premium tank spam and doubly so with the matchmaker changes, which promised fairer gameplay when you're bottom tier in a match but then they go and introduce a bunch of mobile bunkers that equal tier tanks are having trouble with, let alone lower tier stuff.

Now I'm not saying heavy armour has no place in the game, but when it's completely negated by gold ammo and completely invincible to everything two tiers lower than you, you have a big balancing problem. And instead of adressing this issue, something players have been bitching about ever since gold ammo was a thing they keep piling more shiny new tanks for the whales to spend money on while completely ignoring or in some cases exacerbating the issue.

It's a clear example of devs being dead-set on design decisions that are obviously unhealthy for the game, for no other reason than greed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251]