Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Silicon Zeroes (Hardware puzzle game)  (Read 11525 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon Zeroes (Hardware puzzle game)
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:15 am »

Version: 0.8.1.0-g773a6d7de5, downloaded last night.

See? It's not a big deal, probably a minor scaling artefact.

My resolution is 1920x1080 if that helps. I suspect that a slightly smaller red area would make the problem more or less invisible. The red makes the spinner look like it wobbles, but if I place my mouse pointer beside it the actual wobble amount is tiny.

Edit: Wait a second! I didn't state my earlier post correctly. I was wrong, placing modules does not hide the UI, but drawing wires still does. Sorry for the confusion :(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:01:09 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 02:47:00 pm »

Version: 0.8.1.0-g773a6d7de5, downloaded last night.

See? It's not a big deal, probably a minor scaling artefact.

Ah, I think I see it now. Should hopefully be fixed for the next version.

Edit: Wait a second! I didn't state my earlier post correctly. I was wrong, placing modules does not hide the UI, but drawing wires still does. Sorry for the confusion :(

No worries! I've made a note; will fix it when I get the chance.

EDIT: done
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:57:32 pm by Cavalcadeofcats »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 07:27:35 pm »

Haven't gotten far enough to know if it's relevant, sadly, but appears there's a 4-byte integer overflow.
Also, game started to lag (~20 fps-ish) on my pretty beefy machine at 1 number + 14 adders(doubling) + 1 writer, and got down right choppy (say 4 fps) at 16 adders.

Just felt like messing around to see if I stumbled across the proper mind-set to figure one of them out, and ran into these two items.
Not sure how you'd address the first in a clean way, other than just saying that's how it's going to be.
The second seems to do with total on-screen module-chain length, which is a little odd. Total actual chain-length seems to matter little if it's off-screen.

Again, these are probably near-irrelevant in the scope of the actual game, but thought they at least merited some in-game experimenting and a forum post.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 07:33:52 pm »

I have seen an integer rollover once, but it was in a (very) incorrect solution involving lots of multiplying. None of the puzzles have gotten close to that point under rational circumstances....

As for slow, not that I have noticed, but I have a FX6300 and a GTX750Ti... Not super powered,but not half bad either.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 12:57:54 am »

Haven't gotten far enough to know if it's relevant, sadly, but appears there's a 4-byte integer overflow.

Yeah, I've been putting off dealing with that, since it's never relevant in any real level. Overflows should probably produce '?' instead, though. I've bumped it up the priority list a little - thanks for reminding me!

Also, game started to lag (~20 fps-ish) on my pretty beefy machine at 1 number + 14 adders(doubling) + 1 writer, and got down right choppy (say 4 fps) at 16 adders...

The second seems to do with total on-screen module-chain length, which is a little odd. Total actual chain-length seems to matter little if it's off-screen.

Again, these are probably near-irrelevant in the scope of the actual game, but thought they at least merited some in-game experimenting and a forum post.

Performance is certainly relevant - I'd like the game to be playable on as many machines as possible.

Can you provide a save file for the level that caused your computer to chug? If you're on Windows, save files are in the game directory, in the "profiles/" folder; on OS X, they're in "~/Library/Application Support/Silicon Zeroes/profiles".

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 11:27:27 am »

As I said, I was mostly screwing around at this point, so I was intentionally going a little overboard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 02:04:07 pm »

As I said, I was mostly screwing around at this point, so I was intentionally going a little overboard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haha! Very nice, very nice.

I've implemented some caching for the next version that reduces your monster's performance impact to nil. Hopefully it doesn't introduce too many new bugs!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 06:13:01 pm »

hmm, i wonder what kind of tricks i could pull off by editing the save format.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 10:51:42 am »

hmm, i wonder what kind of tricks i could pull off by editing the save format.

You could cheat your way through a lot of the early levels by doing that, and a few of the later ones. It's not something I'm particularly worried about, though if I end up adding online leaderboards, I'll probably want to tighten things up at least a little.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 11:32:06 am »

Sounds pretty neat!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »

Sounds pretty neat!

Thanks!

I've been working on smaller unspectacular stuff for the last few weeks, along with some stuff that's not quite ready to show off yet, like the music work I mentioned in my last post. I'll try to push out a new build this week, and probably a few more keys along with it!

For now, have a little post about a silly thing I worked on today.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 09:34:13 pm »

Cavalcadeofcats, just wanted to inform you that some of your older games (on your site) are basically unplayable in chrome without extra config (Chrome pretends flash is not installed by default, and has to be selectively enabled.)

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 06:44:18 pm »

Cavalcadeofcats, just wanted to inform you that some of your older games (on your site) are basically unplayable in chrome without extra config (Chrome pretends flash is not installed by default, and has to be selectively enabled.)

Yeah, I know. It's a broader problem. Not too much I can do about it without rewriting the games in something else... which might eventually happen for Manufactoria, but probably not the others.

Thank you for the heads-up!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:46:10 pm by Cavalcadeofcats »

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 12:53:40 pm »

Trailer is up!

More news coming this Saturday.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 05:49:51 pm »

Silicon Zeroes is coming soon on Steam!

In celebration, there's a new release up today. Highlights:
  • Music! (Not all of it, just the first two out of the eight or so tracks planned.)
  • New puzzle in Asides, 'Greater'.
  • A very large number of changes to writing, especially to Asides (which now has flavor!) and the endings.
  • New module editing art.
  • Cost mechanic removed.
  • Pink is now less pink.
  • Exactly one secret feature.
In further celebration, here are a few more keys:
  • Taken!
  • Taken!
  • Taken!
These keys can all be turned into steam keys through itch.io, as can any of the keys I've given out earlier.
EDIT: Apparently itch.io isn't giving out steam keys without money being exchanged, so just email me (pleasingfung@gmail.com) a link to your itch.io profile if you want a Steam key.

I'm really excited, you guys!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:22:15 pm by Cavalcadeofcats »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4