Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a seed vault  (Read 1663 times)

Milkymalk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a seed vault
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:49:53 pm »

My plan was to make a seed vault that I can lock and then cook/mill/press all the remaining seeds so I get rid of them without losing my last seeds of a kind.

For this I made a 7x7 room and placed a lot of 1x1 stockpiles in it, only enabling one single kind of seed for each. So an empty barrel gets put in each of these as soon as I declare the stockpile, and most get filled with a bag of seeds soon.

However, some won't get filled, while a bag with the matching seed is just lying around.

- The stockpile has the correct seed assigned to it
- The stockpile has only an empty barrel
- It is set to take from anywhere
- The bag is not forbidden
- The bag is NOT in a stockpile
- The bag has the correct seed in it
- I have idle dorfs a-plenty with hauling enabled.
- Both the stockpile and the bag are accessible, the door is passable.

So, what are other possible error sources?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently just because an item is called "white millet seed bag" does NOT mean it contains ONLY white millet seeds, even with "no mix" in orders. Some idiot put one pineapple seed in there, which is why the vault stockpile won't accept it anymore.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a seed vault
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:16:33 pm »

Yeah, seeds in barrels never work properly in my experience.  I think the problem is that bags are containers, so the dwarfs have a hard time understanding how to deal with containers in containers.  The key is to never use barrels for seeds.  You don't need them anyway.  A bag will hold all the seeds of a particular kind that you will ever use.  What I suggest is to make your vault exactly how you did it, but disallow barrels.  Then for each stockpile in the vault, take from a general seed stockpile (which also doesn't allow barrels -- they will never transfer the seeds out of a stockpile that allows barrels).  The dwarfs will then sort the seeds no problem.  Not only that, but they will fill the bags of seeds in the vault as best as they can, leaving excess in the general stockpile, which is exactly what you want.

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:38 am »

What he said.  I never EVER enable barrels on seed stockpiles and I always am fairly OCD about how I set them up.  I specify types of seeds per stockpile and never enable more than 1 type per stockpile.

In the event seed bags get mixed into barrels the solution is to create a garbage dump activity zone and dump the individual seed bags within the barrel (don't dump the barrel, just the individual seed bags per type of seed stored inside the barrel.)  Then you can reclaim the seed bag from the dump after setting up a stockpile to receive it - with no barrels - exclusively.  You may have to repeat this process for each type of seed bag stored within a barrel if you want to separate them out by type...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:01:41 am by Buckley »

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:51:08 pm »

If you don't mind using dfhack, seedwatch is an option:
https://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#id173
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:36:36 pm »

I always use barrels and seeds and never have problems :<
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:13 pm »

I laughed so much at the "some idiot put a pineapple seed there", oh, Urist, Urist...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 05:56:27 pm »

I am pretty sure you could have dumped that single seed.