Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: specific re-occuring crash with DFhack  (Read 1736 times)

robst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
specific re-occuring crash with DFhack
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:41:49 pm »

Hi folks.
So i was/am suffering from this crash, since like version 0.40 or something, and i was wondering what the status is at the moment. Is it being investigated?

i'll shortly explain what happens.

sometimes when i go to a unit and press "v" to view, or "f" to follow, the game crashes to desktop. this does not happen without DFhack. It may be, that it only happens after i zoomed from the unit view, but i am not sure.

At first i thought it was TWBT causing it, cause there are people saying in forums that it causes crashes, but it also happens with standard or 2D print mode.

what i have also noticed:

it doesn't seem to happen when i am playing a new fort, and it always seems to be happening the first time, after i have loaded a savegame. but i am not 100% sure of this. I think after it crashed the first time, it also happens on new forts. But it could also be that it happens after a long time in game, and coincedentally happens at a time when you'll be thinking about saving.
also, i only had the game crashing on pressing "v" when TWBT activated, ond crashing on "f" without it. but that may be coincedence, since i almost always played with TWBT. It just occured to me that way, because it never crashed on "f" when i had TWBT on. and that was most of the time. 

Also noteworthy maybe:
About a year ago, i upgraded my graphics card And just recently, i upgraded motherboard, RAM and CPU. Always played on Win 7 64 bit.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:02:43 pm by robst »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: specific re-occuring crash with DFhack
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:35:51 am »

Hi folks.
So i was/am suffering from this crash, since like version 0.40 or something, and i was wondering what the status is at the moment. Is it being investigated?

i'll shortly explain what happens.

sometimes when i go to a unit and press "v" to view, or "f" to follow, the game crashes to desktop. this does not happen without DFhack. It may be, that it only happens after i zoomed from the unit view, but i am not sure.

At first i thought it was TWBT causing it, cause there are people saying in forums that it causes crashes, but it also happens with standard or 2D print mode.

what i have also noticed:

it doesn't seem to happen when i am playing a new fort, and it always seems to be happening the first time, after i have loaded a savegame. but i am not 100% sure of this. I think after it crashed the first time, it also happens on new forts. But it could also be that it happens after a long time in game, and coincedentally happens at a time when you'll be thinking about saving.
also, i only had the game crashing on pressing "v" when TWBT activated, ond crashing on "f" without it. but that may be coincedence, since i almost always played with TWBT. It just occured to me that way, because it never crashed on "f" when i had TWBT on. and that was most of the time. 

Also noteworthy maybe:
About a year ago, i upgraded my graphics card And just recently, i upgraded motherboard, RAM and CPU. Always played on Win 7 64 bit.

1. Wrong forum - this belongs in Utilities and 3rd Party Applications.
2. Stating that you've had problems "since version 0.40 or something" is completely worthless - unless you're using the absolute latest version of DFHack (0.43.05-r2, which was released 2 days ago), reporting bugs is pointless because it's possible we already fixed them.
3. Upgrading your computer hardware shouldn't have any effect on stability of DFHack.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

robst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:46:20 am »

Oh, i am sorry then. Maybe a mod can move this thread then.

I am using 43.05-r2 and it already happend again with that release.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:12:53 pm »

In order to figure out what's causing the problem, we'll need to know exactly what you're using - please provide a listing of any custom DFHack plugins you are using, the contents of your "dfhack.init" file, and what PRINT_MODE you are using.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:14:50 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 03:41:38 pm »

I haven't seen this issue, although I think I've heard of it once. The contents of stderr.log might also be helpful (plus stderr.txt, if it's 0.43.05 before DFHack 0.43.05-r2). Also, you could run the "install-info" script and post the contents of install-info.txt.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.