Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bringing back the carp of legend  (Read 1215 times)

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bringing back the carp of legend
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:17:40 am »

This may be simple, but I've never modded before.  I would like to restore carp (and other large fish) to the strength and aggression they enjoyed when they were first introduced.  How would I do that?

I got as far as downloading 40d and comparing the raws to 43.05 to see if I could simply copy/paste, but it looks like a lot has changed structure-wise, and I don't even see any damage numbers in 43.05 to change.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing back the carp of legend
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:19:51 am »

I think to roughly get what you want you can replace the [BENIGN] tag with [LARGE_PREDATOR], and then adjust the BODY_SIZE tokens to be bigger.  I think that carp used to be bigger relative to dwarves, but I'm not sure, because as you noted the tags have changed a lot since then.  The biggest difference is that they are now There is no "damage" directly assigned to creature attacks - the damage depends on the material of the bodypart used, and the size of the bodypart and creature.  If you want to get more accurate, you could give the carp teeth, and make their attack use the tooth body part instead of mouth.  You could look at hippos for an example.  Actually, if you want something close to the deadliness of the old carp without much work, just copy the whole raws from Hippos to carp, and then replace the [BENIGN] tag with [LARGE_PREDATOR], and then your dwarves will learn to fear the water...

I am not an expert in modding, so I don't know how (or even if it is possible) to exactly reproduce the carp of old.  As I said, my understanding is that they were larger, and were aggressive.  Based on the raws, it also looks like they attacked using teeth (which they no longer have), but i'm not sure.  In other words, they were the aquatic equivalent of elephants, which I why I suggest you just copy hippos (and make them aggressive) if you want a quick simple change.

Also, I am not 100% sure that [LARGE_PREDATOR] will give them the proper level of aggressiveness (if anything it may make them too aggressive) - you might just need to remove [BENIGN].  But I think it should make them attack like wolves (which also have [LARGE_PREDATOR]), which sounds like what you want.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 01:06:21 pm »

In addition to having [LARGE_PREDATOR]-like behavior, old carps gained ungodly attributes by doing something they do naturally: swimming. Removing [SWIMS_INNATE], and adding [CAN_LEARN] and [NATURAL_SKILL:SWIMMING:15] would be a close approxomation, as skills train attributes. For extra nastiness, give the fish a decently high starting bite skill (say, [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:6], a talented-level biter, I think). This method would have the adverse effect of making the fish unbutcherable due to sapience, though.

You could also just increase their base attributes to much something much higher than default. This is done by adding something like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those numbers above between each colon are the range of starting attribute, from lowest to highest. To wit, the default are: 200:800:900:1000:1100:1300:2000.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:18:04 pm »

If you want to get more accurate, you could give the carp teeth, and make their attack use the tooth body part instead of mouth.  You could look at hippos for an example.  Actually, if you want something close to the deadliness of the old carp without much work, just copy the whole raws from Hippos to carp, and then replace the [BENIGN] tag with [LARGE_PREDATOR], and then your dwarves will learn to fear the water...
A much better example would be the longnose gar - it's still a fish, but it has teeth and uses them in its bite attack.

In addition to having [LARGE_PREDATOR]-like behavior, old carps gained ungodly attributes by doing something they do naturally: swimming.
To be fair, they only had that for a very short amount of time - that was introduced in 0.27.169.32a and fixed about a week later.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:22:49 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:52:08 am »

Thanks all.  Maybe I'll try separate giant versions of the regular fish, with or without modding the base.

If I add a flat NATURAL_SKILL bite without CAN_LEARN, will that boost their combat and still be butcherable?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:01:17 am by Goldbeard »

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:08:46 am »

@GoldBeard
Yup, that works too.

@Quitust
Heheh, I've of heard the bug so often in the past, I made the mistake of assuming it had a larger history with the game.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:01 pm »

I had fish that grabbed guys off the bank in my old First Landing mod. The secret is size, big fish with the predator tag were the bane of fishermen in that mod.

Creatures were all randomly generated, so I can't really give you any specifics...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 12:02:23 am »

Try giving them that tag that makes them hate life, so they kill indiscriminately.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:00:11 am »

Oh, also: Giant fish with LARGE_PREDATOR will also murderize all other fish in a stream. Not vermin fish, but all the others.

Just something to keep in mind...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS