Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Windlock vs the HFS, the most terrible Circus invasion (spoilers)  (Read 11907 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Windlock vs the HFS, the most terrible Circus invasion (spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 09:05:55 am »

Sorry for lack of updates lately, a bunch of life stuff has been happening, preparing for a big move, and whenever I do open up DF my fortress just goes on automatic and deals with the adamantine itself for the most part. So... yeah. I'm just waiting like you are now.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:50 pm »

All right, after five days of procrastination I'm ready to continue this! Let's get going!

First order of business today was to clean up all this vomit and blood. That bumped the fps from 10-20 to 30-40. Perfect.

First adamantine weapon of the fort has been constructed. It is a nice adamantine spear I made for Doren, captain of the guard. Now I'm making an adamantine axe for Atir, the champion.

And then the game crashed because I forgot to turn off DFhack. Ugh.

Had to remake a bunch of adamantine weapons, but other than that it seems the only thing that has changed is the guy that was in a mood. Guess somebody other than a glassmaker will get possessed then. Please game be nice to me and have a weaponsmith make an adamantine halberd or something like that.

Already, blood and vomit has begun to gather around the fortress. I can blame the suicidal flocks of vultures flying into my marksdwarf guard for the blood.

Dang it... I hate how this one has just been one long series of status updates. But literally nothing is happening right now! Everything runs on automatic, so I can't see this place dying if I just looked away. And even when FBs show up to harass me, they mostly just annoy me at this point. Closest thing this fort has had to an actual fun death was the deadly dust spraying jerk that snuck past my defense.

Speaking of... I don't think I ever mentioned this, but that guy's dust didn't just hit like a truck, but all dwarves who got hit by it would fall unconscious soon afterwards after about a minute. This made things even more fun, but you could probably already guess that.

...I legitimately don't know why that didn't kill my fort in hindsight.

All right, I'm tired and nothing's happening. I'll see you guys tomorrow.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 08:49:58 am »

I'm enjoying it. Despite what literally everyone else in the community says, I consider having a peaceful Fort to be a kind of winning.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 08:53:56 am »

Well, that's just fine.
DF is basically the ultimate sandbox. However, Derpy here is most clearly failing, due to his inability to accomplish his stated goal. Namely, the incredibly simple matter of finding his way to hell so he can kill all the denizens.

Everyone else can do when desperately trying to avoid doing it, and yet Derpy can't manage it intentionally.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 08:57:34 am »

Well, that's just fine.
DF is basically the ultimate sandbox. However, Derpy here is most clearly failing, due to his inability to accomplish his stated goal. Namely, the incredibly simple matter of finding his way to hell so he can kill all the denizens.

Everyone else can do when desperately trying to avoid doing it, and yet Derpy can't manage it intentionally.

I don't think that username has ever been more fitting than now :P

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 04:12:08 pm »

Small status update:

I am slowly upgrading my military to adamantine, now about half of my soldiers wield weapons made of it.

The Queen Brittany had another son.

That's pretty much it for one and a half hours of playtime.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 04:39:44 pm »

Was anyone else wanting Plan Z to be an entire siege's worth of undead trapped in cages waiting to be unleashed?

Also! I want diagrams/tutorials on your HB. You also should have filled some of them with serrated disks to get that sweet, sweet demon blood all over the walls.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 05:05:50 pm »

He has a specific trap set up that he wants to test.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 05:20:53 pm »

Was anyone else wanting Plan Z to be an entire siege's worth of undead trapped in cages waiting to be unleashed?

Also! I want diagrams/tutorials on your HB. You also should have filled some of them with serrated disks to get that sweet, sweet demon blood all over the walls.

I feel like the zombie idea is awesome, but probably wouldn't work out because of how many cages and mechanisms it would take, not to mention the storage problem for them. But I do like the way you think.

If I were to draw a Hell's Bastion, it would look like this:

v = minecart
# = floor grate
/ = impulse ramps
+ = fortification

v
#
//////////////////////+

The minecart is on top of a floor grate, and the floor grate is hooked up to a lever. When I pull the lever, it drops the minecart onto the impulse ramps, which then propels it towards the fortification. Anybody who knows what a minecart shotgun is knows how things work from there.

Also, the HBs are filled with spiked iron balls. I want to add a few adamantine blades to the mix for fun, but it already hurt my head enough with the amount of micromanagement it took to get a somewhat balanced amount of spiked balls in each cart. The HB on the surface is filled with 20+ glass discs though, which are surprisingly potent.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »

I feel like the zombie idea is awesome, but probably wouldn't work out because of how many cages and mechanisms it would take, not to mention the storage problem for them. But I do like the way you think.

If I were to draw a Hell's Bastion, it would look like this:

v = minecart
# = floor grate
/ = impulse ramps
+ = fortification

v
#
//////////////////////+

The minecart is on top of a floor grate, and the floor grate is hooked up to a lever. When I pull the lever, it drops the minecart onto the impulse ramps, which then propels it towards the fortification. Anybody who knows what a minecart shotgun is knows how things work from there.

Also, the HBs are filled with spiked iron balls. I want to add a few adamantine blades to the mix for fun, but it already hurt my head enough with the amount of micromanagement it took to get a somewhat balanced amount of spiked balls in each cart. The HB on the surface is filled with 20+ glass discs though, which are surprisingly potent.

OOH. It's a horizontal, two z-level shotgun. Ok. XD Personally I would have made a magma forge and just totally filled every cart with 200 green glass disks.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 05:25:13 pm »

I'd suggest filling them with magma, except demons don't really care about lava.

Unless, maybe, you could make sure that they get water on them at the same time.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »

I'd suggest filling them with magma, except demons don't really care about lava.

Unless, maybe, you could make sure that they get water on them at the same time.

Making tracks run though liquids is not something I have experience in. I plan on experimenting with that another time.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 06:36:30 pm »

Making tracks run though liquids is not something I have experience in. I plan on experimenting with that another time.

That would be cool though. Seeing if you can make a minecart shotgun obsidianizer...

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 06:38:24 pm »

That would be cool though. Seeing if you can make a minecart shotgun obsidianizer...

It would probably be easier to drop water on their heads while they're traveling through magma or vice versa.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 01:24:58 pm »

Well hello there.

Nice to meet you miss Smug. I would have preferred to try my surface defense on a dragon or human army, but you will also work. All right my dwarves, get your butts inside.

All right, SOMEHOW SMUG GOT INSIDE. You slow dwarves are so fired if you can't freaking pull a lever fast enough to stop a giantess.

After only two pages of combat, the newest military dwarf, Rakust, clove open her skull with an adamantine axe. From this day forward, you will be known as the Smug slayer.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna deal with this bloody defense so next time the giantess doesn't get inside. That could have been bad.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5