Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Windlock vs the HFS, the most terrible Circus invasion (spoilers)  (Read 12132 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Re: Windlock vs the HFS, the most terrible Circus invasion (spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2017, 05:30:05 pm »

Well hello there.

Nice to meet you miss Smug. I would have preferred to try my surface defense on a dragon or human army, but you will also work. All right my dwarves, get your butts inside.

All right, SOMEHOW SMUG GOT INSIDE. You slow dwarves are so fired if you can't freaking pull a lever fast enough to stop a giantess.

After only two pages of combat, the newest military dwarf, Rakust, clove open her skull with an adamantine axe. From this day forward, you will be known as the Smug slayer.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna deal with this bloody defense so next time the giantess doesn't get inside. That could have been bad.

Congrats on the dragon-sized human. :P
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2017, 05:41:29 pm »

Well hello there.

Nice to meet you miss Smug. I would have preferred to try my surface defense on a dragon or human army, but you will also work. All right my dwarves, get your butts inside.

All right, SOMEHOW SMUG GOT INSIDE. You slow dwarves are so fired if you can't freaking pull a lever fast enough to stop a giantess.

After only two pages of combat, the newest military dwarf, Rakust, clove open her skull with an adamantine axe. From this day forward, you will be known as the Smug slayer.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna deal with this bloody defense so next time the giantess doesn't get inside. That could have been bad.

Dragon sized? I didn't know they were that big.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »

Smug ---> Smaug, perhaps?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 05:54:39 pm »

Well hello there.

Dragon sized? I didn't know they were that big.

9,000,000 cm^3 compared to 25,000,000 cm^3

Well, not that big. But yeah.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 07:04:45 am »

I'm not certain if that fortification is necessary. The minecart will deliver the hit when colliding with the frontline combatant at it's full weight, firing all trap components further. Blunt damage only, but enough blunt damage will kill anything it can manage to hit. Depends on how heavy your carts are.

There are couple of ways of filling moving carts with fluids. The one I prefer to use for filling carts with magma for workshops is simple trench-[(E)W track/ramp-EW track/ramp]-EW track/ramp on z-level above with minecart stopping on the eastmost ew track ramp to be accelerated west. Larix has used both [EW track/ramp]-NW track ramp with 1 cart nigh-constantly in trench and being bumped out as well as plain slow-enough passing-through speed for ~dozen-tile watergun.

You can also use rollers, of course - easiest to make powertrain locally, ex. via [EW track ramp - minecart on track stop dumping west] trench with water wheel above.
I'd suggest filling them with magma, except demons don't really care about lava.

Unless, maybe, you could make sure that they get water on them at the same time.
Magma/Water make for very heavy projectiles, so at full 47 ramp acceleration they do care.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:17:53 am by Fleeting Frames »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:10 pm »

My dwarves finally made an artifact using adamantine! A pair of leggings -- but made of pig bone and just decorated with adamantine rings instead of, I don't know, ANYTHING LOGICAL.

Because of the recent giant incident, I have decided to just stop caring about merchants and focus entirely on building walls around the fort without caring about whether or not merchants can get their wagons inside. I don't really need to trade with them anymore.

I noticed Smug's foot lying at the top of a staircase. Turns out that adamantine axes are so good at removing limbs that her foot went up a couple of Z levels and landed right next to my entrance, where everyone just waited for someone else to clean it up until I noticed. Never change dwarves.

Summer again, maybe this year the humans will finally freaking invade. I really want to chop them into pieces. If demons can't satisfy my bloodlust, then humans will.

Actually, since this is a megabeast heavy world, it is possible that any and all humans besides the traders I got have been wiped out. I hope that isn't the case.

Nope. Not even slightly. Human army on my doorstep just started marching towards me. Awesome.

Actually, that's kinda bad because most of my dwarves are in the vulnerable position that is going outside to get wood. They're vomiting everywhere right now, so they're kinda easy targets. Run little dudes, get inside!

Hmm... only ten humans though. I should just wipe them out using my squad, but that isn't fun enough. I want to kill them using those traps.

Nope. Humans are too fast for these dwarves, who were already pretty sick because of the sun. But enough of my military is there to hopefully make quick work of them.

Well, that was a terrible outcome. Five soldiers down, among them both Fafire's bane and Fiendshore's bane. This happening after literal in game years of danger room training and adamantine weaponry.

All right, so what we are learning today is simple: always rely on caves for everything ever and never go to the surface for any reason. Caves are good, surface is bad.

That is seriously depressing.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 12:50:19 am »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 03:33:50 am »

Wow.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 07:57:17 am »

Well hello there.

XD
Were they equipped with the armor setup I recommended? Also, that's why Adamantine is awesome.
(Was this from last page? I think your post may have been the last post on the previous page. I'd somehow gotten the impression it was the most recent post...)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:00:46 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:47 am »

Well hello there.

XD
Were they equipped with the armor setup I recommended? Also, that's why Adamantine is awesome.
(Was this from last page? I think your post may have been the last post on the previous page. I'd somehow gotten the impression it was the most recent post...)

I had not gotten around to giving them adamantine armor, though they did have a lot of iron armor.

I think that this was a slaughter because all of my dwarves had cave adaptation. My military was really nauseous because of the sun, so it was easy for the humans to slash them apart. In future fortresses, I will build chambers where we can fight the invaders with our military underground.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 09:41:55 am »

Could also make your military train just outside the entrance. But yeah, cave adaption halves speed and skills.

Years of danger room training - are you speaking of dodge-em or other non-dwarf-hitting training methods, or is this 43.03?

The leggings are terrible either way.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 02:28:41 pm »

Years of danger room training - are you speaking of dodge-em or other non-dwarf-hitting training methods, or is this 43.03?

The basic design, a four times four room with wooden upright spear traps set to go with a repeating lever.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:18 pm »

So for those of you still interested, we need to talk about what to do next. First, sorry for not posting in 13 freaking days. I have a habit of agreeing to do to many things at once, so this made me rather busy with a bunch of miscellaneous nonsense. But now that I'm done with my turn in Traphorses I can get back to this botched hell invasion.

Now the hell invasion is the question I want to ask about. I'm pretty much done getting the adamantine out, now I just need to extract all the darn stuff. Although I was originally planning to send my adamantine wielding war dwarves down there, you all know that every single one of my best military dwarves died in a tragic human invasion. Which seriously sucks in case you didn't know. Which also means I don't really have a military to send down there anymore, leaving me with few options where hell invasion goes.

1. Follow the original plan, just use demons as a way to prove the worth of my Hell's Bastions and go home.
2. Get sidetracked by something shiny and take a suggestion.

Since people posted to watch me fail this spectacularly, I assume people are liking this, and I really like being able to just post here as I play and say what's happening because I like talking and unsurprisingly, not a lot of my family members like to hear me talk about DF for an hour as I play. People, amiright?

So what's next? Do you want me to immediately tackle hell, or is there something else you want me to do with such an absurd amount of adamantine? I mean, this is over a hundred wafers of the stuff, so there's gotta be something cool to do with it, right? What do you want me to do?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25:24 pm »

Ey, you're back!

The main point of this was always to test those traps; the military thing was just meant as a backup plan if they failed. My suggestion: wait a little while, close yourself off from the surface, train up your military - not a whole lot, but to the point of competency - equip them with the adamantine cloaks and steel full plate, and then open the pit and watch what happens.

Then, we colonize hell.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2017, 09:30:10 pm »

Ey, you're back!

The main point of this was always to test those traps; the military thing was just meant as a backup plan if they failed. My suggestion: wait a little while, close yourself off from the surface, train up your military - not a whole lot, but to the point of competency - equip them with the adamantine cloaks and steel full plate, and then open the pit and watch what happens.

Then, we colonize hell.

Cloaks... how the heck do you make adamantine cloaks? Presumably that just means not melting adamantine strands and then working magic with a clothiers workshop, right? Yes I haven't used adamantine much why do you ask?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5