Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Windlock vs the HFS, the most terrible Circus invasion (spoilers)  (Read 11901 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Windlock vs the HFS, the most terrible Circus invasion (spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2017, 09:42:34 pm »

*shrugs* I remember reading that cloaks or robes or something give 100% body coverage, so adamantine versions of them make it so that any slashing or piercing damage becomes blunt instead (thus the underlying steel full armor, for taking care of the rest). I don't actually play DF, so I don't know anything else, but I'm pretty sure that you still need the stuff as wafers. Maybe check the wiki? I don't know.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2017, 09:47:20 pm »

*shrugs* I remember reading that cloaks or robes or something give 100% body coverage, so adamantine versions of them make it so that any slashing or piercing damage becomes blunt instead (thus the underlying steel full armor, for taking care of the rest). I don't actually play DF, so I don't know anything else, but I'm pretty sure that you still need the stuff as wafers. Maybe check the wiki? I don't know.
I don't actually play DF
I don't actually play DF
:o

Honestly I don't know what to say about that other than YOU HAVEN'T LIVED.

Ahem. Joking aside, I'll probably try out the cloak thing because the purpose of this fort was to try out an idea anyway. Might as well try out too!

But I can't find any bituminous coal on this map, which unfortunately means no steel besides what I get from traders.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2017, 09:51:02 pm »

Then whatever else works well against blunt damage.
And i really don't have time to figure DF out, considering I still need to go to school and all. I tried Gnomoria out and was still unable to get my bearings. I'll stick to Civ, XCOM, and the RTDs, thank you.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:24 pm »

And i really don't have time to figure DF out, considering I still need to go to school and all. I tried Gnomoria out and was still unable to get my bearings. I'll stick to Civ, XCOM, and the RTDs, thank you.

That's fine. Honestly the complexity is why I love DF so much. There's just so much intricacy that you can try and succeed at an insane amount of things, and you can pretty much use any item in the game as a way to defend yourself. Plus, I like complications. I need my entertainment to be fairly complicated and to have a lot of options for where it can go.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2017, 07:20:24 am »

That's all the reasons I enjoy reading about it. :)
Just means I can't play it. :(

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2017, 07:23:51 am »

DS speculates that they might help.

Wiki claims that being clothing, they'll let blunt attacks pass through without reduction in force.

I expect that both are true.

Beyond more weapons, could also try to catch fire snakes or make some ridiculously expensive buildings by stacking (double) masterful architecture on top of (artifact) adamantine bonus. Bridges and trade depots are perhaps most significant structures for this purpose, with a nod given towards screw pumps and glassmaker's workshops for using trap component and making trap components plus doing moods, respectively.

It doesn't really have much benefit beyond ridiculous numbers, quick small royal rooms and attracting more attention if the attention isn't already maxed out, but hey it's not weapons.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2017, 08:04:27 am »

You wanted a deadly minecart shotgun, am I right? How about adamantine serrated discs? It'll be like a cartoon with a bunch of ziiip lines and only two seconds later the (insert ANY target here) realizes it's falling apart. Plus the things are insanely valuable, so you improve fortress standing at the same time. Just one should be 300*126*quality. Never tried it myself but according to wiki 100 wafers should yield 25 discs.

That number means to get multiple shots you'd need to really space them out between carts. So if you think it's spectacular failure that the audience demands, put all your eggs discs in one basket and then be almost completely helpless as you get overrun by numbers.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:46 am »

DS speculates that they might help.

Wiki claims that being clothing, they'll let blunt attacks pass through without reduction in force.

I expect that both are true.

Beyond more weapons, could also try to catch fire snakes or make some ridiculously expensive buildings by stacking (double) masterful architecture on top of (artifact) adamantine bonus. Bridges and trade depots are perhaps most significant structures for this purpose, with a nod given towards screw pumps and glassmaker's workshops for using trap component and making trap components plus doing moods, respectively.

It doesn't really have much benefit beyond ridiculous numbers, quick small royal rooms and attracting more attention if the attention isn't already maxed out, but hey it's not weapons.

I'm gonna have to do some experimentation with those adamantine cloaks.

I don't have a legendary architect, typically because I don't find it worth training one.

But why the heck do I want fire snakes? I'm having traumatic flashbacks of the time I got a bunch of them immediately on top of my wagon when I started a volcano fort.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »

Fire snakes = because you might want non-magma way to heat things up. Also, yellow dot appearance.

I wonder if dwarves can adopt them as pets to become ‼dwarves‼
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]