Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47

Author Topic: Beginner Emblem: Call of Kovitz OOC thread.  (Read 42817 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Emblem: Call of Kovitz. Spots open!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 08:25:54 pm »

I'll probably be playing some sort of mage- are Summoners a thing in Fire Emblem?
They are, but only as a Promoted Class- meaning you'd only hit it at the very end of the game if at all.

Are there ways to obtain multiple character skills? I was kind of hoping to be able to make a "Danger Mario" build by combining the Resolve, Stillness, and Wrath character skills, as well as the "over/under 1/2 HP" condition for my personal skill and fault (and then intentionally keeping myself below 30% HP at all times).
No. FEF in general is a little on the rigid side, unfortunately. Or at least it's usually run that way.

If you are Male, do you count always count as meeting the "If the character is within 3 spaces of Male units..." condition for a personal skill? If so, that+ the "+2 EXP" benefit seems stupidly broken. In fact, the "+2 EXP" benefit seems stupidly broken in any case- just disable the last enemy on the map and sit around in your favored condition until you reach level 20.
The table's a collection of loose, often not very good suggestions that still have to pass GM muster, so it's not hard to find broken combinations in either the good or bad sense.

Gaining support bonuses/penalties when far from allies would be my favorite, since you need to be adjacent to gain support bonuses at all.

Can two Dancers and another unit take an infinite number of actions in a single turn by having each Dancer use their Dance ability on the other Dancer and the other unit?
By RAW I believe so; in FE they only get one action, so it's basically a transfer. This was considered boring for FEF and so changed to what we have now, but I don't believe a limit was ever officially written into the rules. Dancers are pretty rare even with this (I think), so it likely hasn't been an issue often. It's come up in discussion, at least, but I don't recall it well.

In practice, you'll have to wait for Solmyr, but I'd be rather surprised if he said yes. It's a fairly obvious, no-risk infinite-gain exploit, especially when the third is a ranged character.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 08:50:39 pm »

What final promotion are you guys considering? I'm looking at having a Paladin. Also I have 2 questions. First, why do you have two old editions of handbook in the OP? Second, how should I go about getting/making a mug sprite?

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:17:15 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:00 pm »

Gonna go out on a limb here and say no.
You were right:
"No ally can take more than 2 actions in a round, so any further Performances or effects that grant an additional action are ignored."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 09:14:01 pm »

In
Sheet tomorrow because im on phone and its night for me. I will be a
priest trainee>troubador>valkyrie (if possible)
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 09:27:10 pm »

Originally I was going to go for a Mage Trainee -> Shaman -> Summoner build, but now I'm considering going Performer Trainee -> Dancer -> Lore Master. Alas, I can't go Performer Trainee -> Dancer -> Enchanter, because I like mind-controlling enemies. Hm...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 09:32:11 pm »

Also I have 2 questions. First, why do you have two old editions of handbook in the OP? Second, how should I go about getting/making a mug sprite?
No idea for the first.

For the second, some combination of asking for other people to do it for you in the Hub thread, and grabbing sprites from a site that has them (like this one) and then copy+pasting individual features (eyes, hair, etc), redoing colors, and manually redrawing things with them.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say no.
You were right:
"No ally can take more than 2 actions in a round, so any further Performances or effects that grant an additional action are ignored."
Oops, looks like they addressed it after all.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »

Im really going to need help with a mug, because I cant art. Is it really needed or can I get one later?
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 09:54:45 pm »

I've finished my sheet!

Just for fun, I'm gonna make a Dancer character as well (in case someone dies). If I complete my build before the game starts, I might switch my character to the Dancer build.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 09:55:20 pm »

Spoiler: Finished Sheet 2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:15:52 pm by ATHATH »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 10:16:22 pm »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 10:25:41 pm »

Dance Dance Revolution
What
It was a placeholder name at first, but now... Eh, screw it. It's the character's actual name now.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:49:05 pm by ATHATH »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 10:27:32 pm »

After some thought, I have decided to play as Dance Dance Revolution (my second character sheet) instead of Malabus (my first character sheet). If someone wants to join but doesn't want to go through the effort of character generation, they are free to use Malabus's character sheet for their own character.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:30:35 pm by ATHATH »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:20 pm »

Random thought: A Knight that can use a bow or other ranged weapon can repeatedly spam Hold the Line to render themselves immune to melee attacks while still being able to attack enemies themselves. Admittedly, this tactic can easily be defeated by simply standing 3+ squares away from the Knight, thus forcing him to move towards you... Then again, you might not have any ranged attacks that have a range greater than 3.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 03:52:44 am »

And I'm Finally home

Edit: This character sheet is redundant, please refer to the one further down

Spoiler: character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:00:37 am by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 04:27:34 am »

I'm probably gonna play a thief/spy.
Spoiler: WIP Mug (click to show/hide)
EDIT: Now I remember why I wanted to post something - this game's based on the 1.3 rules, right?

Yes, with a bunch of select changes that everyone needs to check out.

Are there ways to obtain multiple character skills? I was kind of hoping to be able to make a "Danger Mario" build by combining the Resolve, Stillness, and Wrath character skills, as well as the "over/under 1/2 HP" condition for my personal skill and fault (and then intentionally keeping myself below 30% HP at all times).

Some classes grant character skills, or skills similar to those but generally the only way to obtain a new (Free) character skill is to reach S support with someone else.

If you are Male, do you count always count as meeting the "If the character is within 3 spaces of Male units..." condition for a personal skill? If so, that+ the "+2 EXP" benefit seems stupidly broken. In fact, the "+2 EXP" benefit seems stupidly broken in any case- just disable the last enemy on the map and sit around in your favored condition until you reach level 20.

Nope, and personal skills might not get accepted depending on its characteristics.

"If the character is under 1/2 HP, +5 HP recovered" seems like a legal and decent (for, say, a tank character) Personal Skill.

For example this one wouldn't be allowed. To get HP recovering skills you'd need to actually do something to deserve it.

Can I use the Disciplined skill to bring up a proficiency that I have no rating in up to "E" rank?

Nope, only proficiencies you already have that you want to rank up.

Can two Dancers and another unit take an infinite number of actions in a single turn by having each Dancer use their Dance ability on the other Dancer and the other unit?

No, and I only allow one performer in a single game.

What final promotion are you guys considering? I'm looking at having a Paladin. Also I have 2 questions. First, why do you have two old editions of handbook in the OP? Second, how should I go about getting/making a mug sprite?

Some changes make references to older versions of the handbook, those are there just in case. About mugs, you can look up online the mugs for FE6/7/8 characters and mix and match with editing programs, or ask someone for their generosity :V

Im really going to need help with a mug, because I cant art. Is it really needed or can I get one later?

You don't need one right now, but having one at the beginning of the game helps visualizing your character.

Random thought: A Knight that can use a bow or other ranged weapon can repeatedly spam Hold the Line to render themselves immune to melee attacks while still being able to attack enemies themselves. Admittedly, this tactic can easily be defeated by simply standing 3+ squares away from the Knight, thus forcing him to move towards you... Then again, you might not have any ranged attacks that have a range greater than 3.

While I only allow Knights to have lances, this is correct. Encouraged in fact with range 2 only pilums. Knights usually have other shortcomings like being slow to make up for it.

After some thought, I have decided to play as Dance Dance Revolution (my second character sheet) instead of Malabus (my first character sheet). If someone wants to join but doesn't want to go through the effort of character generation, they are free to use Malabus's character sheet for their own character.

Please take FEF at least half seriously. FEF is a complicated game and requires lots of effort, sure, but you get the most of it by making interesting characters that can interact with others. RP is not only for RP purposes, it's the only way to get supports, and supports are pretty much the biggest buffs in the game.

And I'm Finally home

Spoiler: character (click to show/hide)

The stats are fine, just a few notes. Nullify requires you to pick which category to nullify, bows or thunder, I forgot to include this in the changes spoiler.

As for PS/PF, I'll elaborate here on general rules for them:
-You can't have impossible triggers for personal faults or permanent triggers for personal skills.
-Weather related stuff is off the table.
-To regain HP with a PS you need to do something worthy of that.
-Triggers that require being within X spaces of Y allies/enemies requires that 3 allies/enemies be within 3 spaces unless the number of spaces is reduced or the type of allies/enemies is further specified (this is not recommended if you don't know what you're doing).
-No repeated triggers or effects.
-A personal skill can't nullify a personal fault.
-More creativity when making personal stuff is encouraged, to a limit. Which is to say, don't try to cheese me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47