Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NetHack things we're lucky aren't in DF, and vice versa  (Read 2583 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
NetHack things we're lucky aren't in DF, and vice versa
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:10 am »

I'll start.
It's a good thing we don't have cockatrices in DF.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NetHack things we're lucky aren't in DF, and vice versa
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 05:44:22 pm »

The infamous Gnome with a Wand of Death is sort of the obvious next answer; in more general terms, anything on the Instadeath page that doesn't make logical sense.  By that I mean that falling into lava without some sort of defense *should* kill you, etc. 

At a more meta level, fixed quests and fixed time limits.  I prefer the more open-ended and/or procedurally generated roguelikes (haven't played actual NetHack in years), and DF is sort of the ultimate expression of that.  NetHack is a bit too much "puzzle game" for my personal taste.  Everything in the world should have some internally consistent reason it is there, or at least *seem* to.  ("Mad dungeon-obsessed trickster god" is a valid take, mind you, but that should have other ripple effects on the world.) 

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:55:47 am »

The infamous Gnome with a Wand of Death
Someone clearly hasn't explored empty deep caverns enough to get a fancy notification followed by instant death.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unrelated, but humerus:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:12:59 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 06:11:20 pm »

The infamous Gnome with a Wand of Death is sort of the obvious next answer; in more general terms, anything on the Instadeath page that doesn't make logical sense.  By that I mean that falling into lava without some sort of defense *should* kill you, etc. 

At a more meta level, fixed quests and fixed time limits.  I prefer the more open-ended and/or procedurally generated roguelikes (haven't played actual NetHack in years), and DF is sort of the ultimate expression of that.  NetHack is a bit too much "puzzle game" for my personal taste.  Everything in the world should have some internally consistent reason it is there, or at least *seem* to.  ("Mad dungeon-obsessed trickster god" is a valid take, mind you, but that should have other ripple effects on the world.) 

There's always Elona, which is my favorite for it's utter lack of sanity checks.  It technically has a main quest, but you can feel free to ignore it forever, and it's basically just a dungeon you have to go a certain number of levels down, visit some quest characters for the plot, then return and beat a boss, while all the levels are still procedural.  There are also some static instance maps with quests, but they're optional side quests.  (Although defeating at least the first one is a good idea, since it provides a map that will never be altered, thus forming a safe "warehouse" for your excess wands/scrolls/whatever you don't want to either sell or carry everywhere.)

So far as the OP goes... It's a good thing NetHack lacks syndrome-bearing titans/forgotten beasts even on the first floor of the cavern dungeon.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:13:58 pm »

I'm glad the whole identification and beatitude thing isn't present in DF. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 04:05:20 am »

So far as the OP goes... It's a good thing NetHack lacks syndrome-bearing titans/forgotten beasts even on the first floor of the cavern dungeon.

There are always Bogeymen for the people that hate playing with companions/allies for some reasons, those monsters usually come with a syndrome that can be described basically as "kill easily early characters that happened to be still travelling when night came".