Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS 4.07.0 - Adding guns, gun balance, thoughts? (longish post)  (Read 2687 times)

Mrprofilen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hi.
    • View Profile

Greetings, been a while since I browsed the forum. Been working on something for personal use, because I was interested.

I personally didn't like how guns damage was handled for LCS, but it gave me a great base to start to tweak things. Now obviously the weapon statistics/use in the game work well for the game. And, it's hard to tweak things since the game has some things modeled around them (it's hard to modify armor piercing and keep it balanced). But I wanted to mess around more.  For instance, burst based off ROF, damage off of caliber/Muzzle velocity etc. Now, I wasn't sure how I was going to handle this and haven't tested to it's full extent.

I had a whole notepad++ with what I wanted to do and some modifications. I'll show them below (put in spoilers to limit how crowded the screen is).

This was my brainstorm on new weapons -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To keep burst balanced, I based it on recoil for the most part. I thought the FAMAS would be overpowered at 5 round burst, so I raised the "<successive_attacks_difficulty>" higher than most weapons. I had the FAMAS in the same way I do now with no damage changes a while back, and it was quite strong.

For the AN-94, I gave it higher armor pen to show the double pen (2-round burst hitting the same spot) that it was supposed to have. AN-94 seems like it's going to be way too strong.

Below you'll see how I messed around with size. However, you can tell where I had to add somethings in as I was surprised with sizes of guns I was planning on adding. Just look at how many forms of "rifle" length I got. Now I based off sizes by " or mm TOTAL length.

I also had a brainstorm for damage based on round-size (which got thrown off once I started thinking about muzzle velocity). The pistol damage is temporary.

Now, to keep the pawnshop (where the weapons are at currently for testing) from being crowded, I created new "department" code inside the art xml for it. Just labeled it something random.

I've also removed the accuracy bonus for the most part from current weapons, except the m249 (idk how I want to mess with that just yet [I'd love to remove it, but don't want to mess with that atm]). I added accuracy bonuses (not high) for the M14.

I've coded in all the weapons/clips/pawnshop stuff and confirmed they are working. I can release them later.

This was the final gun burst stats (plus clip names for me to remember whilst I was doing things)

Did some weapon testing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:03:34 pm by Mrprofilen »

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.07.0 - Adding guns, gun balance, thoughts? (longish post)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:10:46 pm »

Interesting changes. I'm not sure if new guns would make non-assault rifle-type weapons worth using, though. In vanilla LCS, assault rifles are king (due to killing armored and unarmored conservatives easily, often in one burst at high skill), and everything else is pretty much worthless.

Mrprofilen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.07.0 - Adding guns, gun balance, thoughts? (longish post)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:28:57 pm »

Yea. I figured as much. I was thinking of making complete changes to damage values (more than what you see) and redoing armor. But, I'm not sure. I wanted to make it more fun to mess around in a sense. But, eh. Don't know. I'm doing some testing right now.