Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Let's Try D&D Basic: The Dark Fortres of Skaldbani - The Caverns 6/6  (Read 13809 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Try D&D Basic: The Dark Fortres of Skaldbani - Rolecall 0/?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 09:50:25 pm »

A fat old man crawls around in the water, clearly looking for something.

"My Eye! My Eye! Have any of you people seen my eye?"

After failing to find it, he stands up. It becomes hard not to notice a hole in his face where an eye should be.

"Sorry, I should introduce myself. Leeman Russ, apprentice of the deceased wizard Eisengrim."
"In all the glory of the Raven queen, what happened to your face?" Koby says in both amazement and disgust as he stairs at the hole in the Leeman's Face.

"Oh, that? Happened a long time ago. I'd tell you the details, but at the current moment I'm a bit occupied. You haven't seen a glass eye rolling around by any chance?"
As he finishes this sentence, Leeman spots the glint of a shiny object in the distance.

"Nevermind, I think I found it"
He picks up his lost eye and puts it back into it's place. As if by magic, Leeman's wounded face looks good as new.

((I didn't realize there was already a person who spoke in purple, Changing the colour of my text to teal from now on))
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Try D&D Basic: The Dark Fortres of Skaldbani - Rolecall 0/?
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 10:02:43 pm »

A fat old man crawls around in the water, clearly looking for something.

"My Eye! My Eye! Have any of you people seen my eye?"

After failing to find it, he stands up. It becomes hard not to notice a hole in his face where an eye should be.

"Sorry, I should introduce myself. Leeman Russ, apprentice of the deceased wizard Eisengrim."
"In all the glory of the Raven queen, what happened to your face?" Koby says in both amazement and disgust as he stairs at the hole in the Leeman's Face.

"Oh, that? Happened a long time ago. I'd tell you the details, but at the current moment I'm a bit occupied. You haven't seen a glass eye rolling around by any chance?"
As he finishes this sentence, Leeman spots the glint of a shiny object in the distance.

"Nevermind, I think I found it"
He picks up his lost eye and puts it back into it's place. As if by magic, Leeman's wounded face looks good as new.

((I didn't realize there was already a person who spoke in purple, Changing the colour of my text to teal from now on))

"That is really impressive! only wish I could amount to something as impressive at that. probably gonna die a nobody myself. It makes no difference in the end though" koby happy-ish exterior doesn't falter as he speaks.

koby look around seeing if every one is ready to begin their journey on-to death and misery.
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Try D&D Basic: The Dark Fortres of Skaldbani - The Caverns 6/6
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 11:15:52 pm »

((Also for any of you who might be reading this in the future and are feeling sad about missing this, or honestly any new stuff that happens on the Play With Your Buddies subforum, a quick tip. If you notice I responded only minutes after the thread went up. This isn't because I obsessively watch here for new stuff. I learned not that long ago you can actually subscribe to the subforum itself and it will notify you whenever a new thread is made. Unlike some other parts of bay12 this place is relatively slow in having new threads so you won't get spammed if you do so.))
((I had no idea this feature existed. I LOVE IT))

You... *GASP* ...must... *GASP* ...escape... "
"Escape? Ha! Bargulg the Conqueror does not escape! We will not leave until the witch is dead!"
"Amazing he survived as long as he did with those injuries. He must have been very strong."
Pulling out his ten foot pole, Bargulg bluntly remarks, "If he was truly strong, he would not be dead."
"That is really impressive! only wish I could amount to something as impressive at that. probably gonna die a nobody myself. It makes no difference in the end though" koby happy-ish exterior doesn't falter as he speaks.

koby look around seeing if every one is ready to begin their journey on-to death and misery.
Poking the floor with his ten foot pole as he makes his way towards the tunnel, Bargulg nods. "Aye, we are but ticks on the skin of life. The only true choice in life is to be a tick that stings enough to be picked off. So, drink deeply of the blood of life, and the other mites will sing of your glory! Or die in shame and darkness like him," he says, gesturing dismissively over his shoulder at the corpse.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 11:20:58 pm »

"Amazing he survived as long as he did with those injuries. He must have been very strong."
Pulling out his ten foot pole, Bargulg bluntly remarks, "If he was truly strong, he would not be dead."

Poking the floor with his ten foot pole as he makes his way towards the tunnel, Bargulg nods. "Aye, we are but ticks on the skin of life. The only true choice in life is to be a tick that stings enough to be picked off. So, drink deeply of the blood of life, and the other mites will sing of your glory! Or die in shame and darkness like him," he says, gesturing dismissively over his shoulder at the corpse.

"Do you always speak this....this... poetic, is that the right word. Oye Wizard dude, is that the appropriate word for this use? "
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 11:52:50 pm »

"Heeeh... Weak or strong we all got massacred up there and likely the only reason we are alive is we shouldn't be. The second they know we live times will be a bit tough. Now one thing that might help us is that pit traps tend to fill up unless someone goes and empties them. Seeing the cavern look this place seems to be going for we might be both lucky and incredibly unlucky. My predictions are they went for a more hands off approach to clean up and so this is likely a natural cave with critters that like eating the dead. Bad news is there is only a 50/50 shot this connects to a proper outside area and not all carrion feeders mind making their own carrion for later. That in mind though they might still personally take care of it so looking around for some hidden or not so hidden doors and such isn't completely out of order." With that said Ayne searches around for some hidden doors or similar such occurrences while keeping an eye out for trouble with his infravision.

((@Immaterial, I know right? Now I wouldn't want to use it on some of the more active subforums but with a slow burn like this place is the feature is pure gold))
((So we all have characters but I can't really figure out others that well. Do we want to do a little sharing? Not needed of course, especially with things like alignment (Speaking of which are we using alignment languages?), but could help us get on our feet better. As it is I don't even really have a good hold on what anyone is for the most part. We haven't even described our characters.))
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 12:25:31 am »

"Do you always speak this....this... poetic, is that the right word. Oye Wizard dude, is that the appropriate word for this use? "

"How should I know? I spent my entire life cooped up inside a tower exclusively studying magic. I know as much about poetry as a toddler."

"Speaking of carrion though... you guys think we should do something about the body?"
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 12:39:28 am »

"Do you always speak this....this... poetic, is that the right word."
"Yes."

((So we all have characters but I can't really figure out others that well. Do we want to do a little sharing? Not needed of course, especially with things like alignment (Speaking of which are we using alignment languages?), but could help us get on our feet better. As it is I don't even really have a good hold on what anyone is for the most part. We haven't even described our characters.))
((Bargulg is a heavily armored sword and board Fighter, who believes himself to be half-Orcish, and attempts to imitate their race. He fails miserably. He's Lawful.))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:43:19 am by My Name is Immaterial »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 12:41:26 am »

"Amazing he survived as long as he did with those injuries. He must have been very strong." Lagolass makes a ritualistic hand gesture before returning his gaze (and his tracking bow) to the small group's surroundings. Using his infravision and ability to pick out fine details, he hunts for any extra supplies that might be lying around. Perhaps these people were not the first ones to take a tumble into this pit.
((D&D Basic uses hard d100s for skill checks for thieves. There doesn't seem to be much in terms of actually rolling for searching other than the general skills stuff (and I already said no to it) so I'm gonna use the modifier it suggests for stuff like this but ignore giving the skills till next level. It'll make things easier for us for now. Mistakes were made, and I apologize))

(19+0) You see two outlines in the water of bodies. Both seem to have also fallen with you, but the weight of their gear, plus the possibility of unconsciousness making them unable to resist drowning, you assume them to have passed on as well. Below them seems to be many shapes that you're unsure of.

He makes one last strangled shot at air before his face turns blue and strained. Before you can put him out of his misery, drops the still lit torch and stabs himself in the temple, killing himself almost instantly.

Getting a look around, there's only one way to go: a large opening that starts to choke into a smaller tunnel, resembling the maw of a great beast. You're unhurt, but you're clearly in a dangerous place. The air seems thick with moisture, and the air is stagnant with the stench of something foul.

"Well isn't this pleasant?" Koby walks over to the freshly killed dude and remove what ever he used to stab himself. ((hopfully a dagger))
"The dead won't have need of weapons, Does any one object if I take it off it....um..out of his head?"

us my Hear noise ability to see if I can hear anything like from the hole or the only exit

(8/100) You hear a faint wind coming from the ceiling you fell from. You also hear faint muttering down the way. You're unsure of what though, as it sounds like random babbling. You also check your fallen ally for gear.

*LOOT*
- 1 bloody dagger
- 1 battered longsword
- 1 suit of wet chainmail
- 14 arrows
- 1 broken shortbow
- 34 gold pieces
- 2 silver pieces

"Heeeh... Weak or strong we all got massacred up there and likely the only reason we are alive is we shouldn't be. The second they know we live times will be a bit tough. Now one thing that might help us is that pit traps tend to fill up unless someone goes and empties them. Seeing the cavern look this place seems to be going for we might be both lucky and incredibly unlucky. My predictions are they went for a more hands off approach to clean up and so this is likely a natural cave with critters that like eating the dead. Bad news is there is only a 50/50 shot this connects to a proper outside area and not all carrion feeders mind making their own carrion for later. That in mind though they might still personally take care of it so looking around for some hidden or not so hidden doors and such isn't completely out of order." With that said Ayne searches around for some hidden doors or similar such occurrences while keeping an eye out for trouble with his infravision.

((@Immaterial, I know right? Now I wouldn't want to use it on some of the more active subforums but with a slow burn like this place is the feature is pure gold))
((Haven't gotten a sheet from you yet, but since you're a late arrival and it takes time to make a sheet, assume you saw the same stuff as Lagolass))
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 01:16:40 am »

((I'm going to assume since Aaron was poking around in the water for bodies, he also finds or helps Lagolass find the bodies))

Aaron pulls the two bodies onto shore next to the first person to trip the trap, then sets about looting all three with practiced efficiency.

"This reminds me all too well about my years in the levies. There's nothing like a group of levies to strip a battlefield of everything salvagable within an hour." he looks around, brushing rough-cut wet hair back from his face. "Though doing so in a cave is a new experience for me."

((Aaron is a tall and bulky human, with sun-burnt features, rough-cut brown hair and green eyes. He's dressed in battered scale armor, and wields a polearm (glaive in his case) as his primary weapon. He has a dagger on his belt for backup.

Combat tactics, he fights either on the front line or just behind it and uses his polearm to reach the enemy.))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 02:01:47 am »

In your search of the bodies, you find bones and other goods in the water. The bodies take some time to pull out, as well as the rest of the stuff you find down there. The bones seem to be varying in size; it has seemed that fortune seekers were killed by this trap long before you arrived. Bones of dwarves, elves, halflings, men laid strewn across the muddy floor of the pool. Misfortune struck these poor souls like a knife in the dark, slaying them before they could have a chance. Broken bones were easy to spot, and to the morbidly curious, the cause of death was easy to see for many.

You try not to think of the two who also met their untimely demise as you go through the stuff you found.

((I'll calculate XP for this treasure you find tomorrow))

*LOOT*
- 1 soaked set of platemail
- 1 soaked set of scale mail
- 1 wet two handed sword
- 1 drenched longsword
- 1 drenched battleaxe
- 1 drenched shield
- 2 wet short bows
- 19 wet arrows
- 2 rusted shortswords
- 6 rusted daggers
- 2 rusted broadswords
- 59 arrows without heads (there's no spot marking where an arrowhead might be but the wood is pointed to resemble one)
- 2 waterlogged longbows
- 1 piece of driftwood you assume was once a club
- 1 wooden spear with strange markings on it
- a set of bracers
- 4 vials of varying colors
- a perfectly sealed waterproof scroll case with 3 scrolls in it
- a not-so perfectly sealed waterproof scroll case with 4 shredded pieces of parchment
- 1 wet quarterstaff
- 1 soaked broadsword
- 2 soaked daggers
- 210 gold pieces
- 10 electrum pieces
- 30 silver pieces
- 304 copper pieces
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 03:04:44 am »

Aaron offers a friendly nod to the bones that was wearing the platemail as he goes about stripping it from the bones and replacing his own armor with it. He also grabs one of the longbows and the 19 arrows with arrow heads. Once they dry out enough, they might be usable. After some calculation, he also takes 1/6th of the found money. "Well, if we can make our way out of here, we'll be further ahead then when we came in."

((Acquired 1 set of platemail, 1 waterlogged longbow, 19 wet arrows, 36 gold, 1 electrum, 3 silver, 4 copper. He leaves behind his scale mail.))

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 03:19:46 am »

((Ayne is an elf, A rugged and tanned looking one so not quite the willowy image some people have of them. Though with him wearing a decent set of chain mail and wielding a sword and shield you can tell it isn't just a look.))

Ayne glances over the water logged gear. Seeing as the plate mail is already taken and not being one for bows he grabs the 6 rusty daggers and fits them within easy reach on his belt. A pause and then he also grabs his share of the cash (36gp, 1ep, 3sp, 4cp) and picks up both scroll cases. Making sure the sealed case is dry enough he takes out the scolls to check if they are of the magical variety or maybe something like military orders or maps.

After everyone finishes taking things if no one grabs the vials he will also take those

((Oh and the first thing I did on the very last post of the first page was look up to see if the trap we fell through closed up again or there was just a gaping hole above us that enemies could look down upon us from.))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:28:28 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 06:07:58 am »

((Just for convenience's sake: Lagolass is also an elf. He's a second-rank fighter with a shortbow and a polearm for reach. Thanks to bad rolls he is squishy, so don't expect him to be tanking any time soon. He is Neutral.
He knows two spells: Sleep and Shield.))

Lagolass takes the drenched longsword, the 14 arrows our dead comrade had, one of the vials, and his share of coin.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:37 am »

((If we're using encumbrance, the last person to post about picking up loot is going to have a ton of weight to deal with. :P))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 06:34:14 am »

((There's absolutely no reason to take everything, especially since most of it is somewhat ruined  :P

But speaking of things, did everyone remember to bring rations? Did you make sure to get iron rations? Otherwise, we're gonna have a lot of hungry people in a day or two.))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8