Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Let's Try D&D Basic: The Dark Fortres of Skaldbani - The Caverns 6/6  (Read 13944 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Try D&D Basic: The Dark Fortres of Skaldbani - The Caverns 6/6
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2017, 10:03:06 pm »

I grab the potions for myself
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2017, 10:15:56 pm »

((So all of the arrows are magical?))
((Yup))
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2017, 10:40:24 pm »

((Nice, I'll mark the ones I took down separately.

Any objections to me taking the broadsword? I did take the longsword earlier, but given a choice I'd rather have something enchanted. I'll need something for close-range work anyway.))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2017, 10:52:54 pm »

((Okay I have the detect magic spell so that is all figured out. Also below I am using the acronym tag to insert the spell description. You should see the words "Detect Magic" with a small dotted line under it that when you hover over it with your mouse a text box shows up. If you don't speak up so I know not to use them in the future.))

Just before the group leaves Ayne picks up the vials.
"Okay group before we leave I am going to cast Detect Magic. This will last for 20 minutes so after a quick look around this area and at everything we picked up, we grab all the magic stuff and hoof it so we can get the most out of it as early detect for any nonsense we might find. Also while I am fine without any light someone who is less able to see in the dark might want to light up a torch or lantern. It might stop infravision but having everyone be able to join in during fights is preferable."
With that said Ayne casts Detect Magic and gives everything in the room a quick look over for any glow, including the stuff we grabbed.
((Correct me if I'm wrong, but potions and scrolls don't set off detect magic if i recall. Seriously, correct me on this, I don't remember))
Of the items collected, the 59 arrows, the spear, the bracers, the wet quarterstaff, the soaked broadsword ((Should say that its a "normal" sword)), and the 2 soaked daggers light up.

You don't spot anything else different with your detect magic

((Divy up what you want. Whether you take it with you or not, you still keep the XP for the items you find.

I'll take the 10' pole guy and the trapper are searching for traps in the front while the others follow))

(4/100) *SUCCESS* Koby pulls back on the honor-bound warrior and points out three tripwires he was all but ready to set off. You're unsure what it triggers, however

(( can I take one of the daggers...... other then that I really don't need anything else right now))

"Hey, I found some traps, do you guys want to walk past them or do you want me to try to deactivate them?" koby says in a whisper to the group.

Koky tries to deactivate at least 1 of the traps, but he doesn't if any one objects
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2017, 11:58:09 pm »

((I did a quick look and if you check on page 224 under "Magical Treasure" while talking about the worth of magical items it mentions them being "temporary" magical items so still magical. Also the fact that they do actually carry magic means they likely would detect as such. Along with that later editions do have them detect as magic if that means anything. While true we don't need all that. The description of Detect Magic literally points out potions as detecting as magic so scrolls likely do as well.

Oh and you said that 59 arrows detect as magic. If you are referring specifically to the group of 59 arrows with only sharpened wood tips then the arrows that Lagolass picked up are not magical as he picked up the group of 14 arrows not the 59 arrows without heads))

Ayne drops the 6 rusty daggers in favor of glowy dagger

((Okay, looking back the magical loot is spread out as such:
Aaron - picked up spear and bracer in-case magical (get this, they are!)
Ayne - 3 scrolls (probably), Dagger
Lagolass - 1 vial, "broadsword" (regular sword), also thinks has magic arrows but might not? (read first OOC bit for more)
Koby - Dagger
Leeman - 3 vials (Lagolass picked up one way back)
Bargulg - nothing (just poking the floor)
Ground - maybe 59 arrows without heads))

((Edit: While most of us already are I vote that ALL direct actions like picking up stuff should be from now on bolded. It took realizing my action in the middle of my OOC stuff basically vanished. Let's make it easier on all of us by doing this one simple thing.))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:03:40 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2017, 04:23:05 pm »

Koby goes and tries to 'remove trap', he tries to do it in a way that won't kill him if the trap set off

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2017, 06:06:03 pm »

((I don't think you get a choice))

(9/100) (56/100) (36/100) Koby goes to disarm the tripwires, and deftly takes out the first. He leans over the next one, sets off one of them as he kneels down, and jolting at the snap, he sets off the third.

You hear the faint sound of bells ringing down the cavern

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »

((I don't think you get a choice))

(9/100) (56/100) (36/100) Koby goes to disarm the tripwires, and deftly takes out the first. He leans over the next one, sets off one of them as he kneels down, and jolting at the snap, he sets off the third.

You hear the faint sound of bells ringing down the cavern

"well, shit. I guess we at no longer a surprise"

Koby uses the shrug gesture

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2017, 08:25:04 pm »

"Well, we would have been discovered eventually anyway."

Lagolass makes sure he has an arrow on the string - one of the non-enchanted ones he brought with him. He takes a position just behind the heavier hitters.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2017, 09:53:14 pm »

koby gets armed with his trident. but still presses forward looking for more traps

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2017, 03:07:38 pm »

((Was originally letting everyone post, but plenty of time))

(58/100) FAIL Koby fails to notice any more traps.

Bargulg keeps his pole up despite triggering some sort of alar-

*RING RING RING*

Two more alarms go off. (?) A crude deadfall trap goes off and (?) almost snaps the pole. The deadfall was a large boulder and dust kicks up into the air, making the already thin air choke everyone with dust. More tiny bells go off due to the boulder rolling a bit where you were heading before stopping.

You advance, and before you know it, your torchlight is noticed by two figures. Whether they were human at some point or not, you cannot discern, as these creatures carry scraps of armor and broken weapons. Their eyes are milky white and large from being in darkness for so long, with their fingertips reddened from some unknown task. They shout at you in broken common, their voices clearly showing signs of insanity.

"Gerk! Git da beeg wun!" One of them calls out as he points at Bargulg wielding what looks to be a broken two handed sword being wielded as a thick broadsword

They prepare for a fight as the other one readies a broken battleaxe with a dagger tied to it

((This is gonna be interesting...))

(4 vs 6)

The forgotten go first!

The one wielding the thick blade moves up and swings at Bargulg (?) but his newly acquired platemail deflects the rusted blade with ease.

The other with the damage battleaxe approaches and attacks Koby (?) but Koby deftly dodges the attack

((Since 1st edition says you go all at once, feel free to get a game plan going. My mapping software is down, so bear with me as I figure something out for a map. Assume everyone is 10ft from Koby and 20ft from Bargulg))

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2017, 03:42:26 pm »

Sword and Board Time. Bargulg seems alright with his sturdy armor so I take my sword to the one attacking Koby

((Also, no one said anything about the arrows. Unless someone else decides they want a go at it I will have taken them and a bow of some sort

Besides that, just as a reminder my detect magic after reading the description again will detect potions and scrolls. While it is almost certain they are magic a confirmation would be nice))
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2017, 03:50:08 pm »

Unwilling to shoot into the melee, Lagolass attacks the one next to Bargulg with his halberd.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2017, 03:34:57 pm »

Aaron uses the reach of his polearm to strike at the one with the broken greatsword at a safe distance.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2017, 05:38:15 pm »

Sword and Board Time. Bargulg seems alright with his sturdy armor so I take my sword to the one attacking Koby

((Also, no one said anything about the arrows. Unless someone else decides they want a go at it I will have taken them and a bow of some sort

Besides that, just as a reminder my detect magic after reading the description again will detect potions and scrolls. While it is almost certain they are magic a confirmation would be nice))
((The scrolls that aren't destroyed are magic and the colored vials of unknown liquids come off as potions. Sadly, you don't know what they do without taking time to do so.

Also, your sheet that you sent me has no thac0 on it))

Aaron uses the reach of his polearm to strike at the one with the broken greatsword at a safe distance.

(9 vs (18-8AC)) MISS Aaron swings with his Glaive in an arc to slash the forgotten foe, but his attack is deflected by the wide blade.

Unwilling to shoot into the melee, Lagolass attacks the one next to Bargulg with his halberd.
(1! vs (17-8AC)) MISS ((In this edition, its just an auto fail)) Lagolass attempts to swing his halberd in unison with Aaron's glaive, but somehow catches the ground as sparks fly off the stone floor and the head harmlessly grazes the shredded leather armor

Players left to act:
Koby
Bargulg
Akhier
Leeman

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8