Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Affordable Wargaming Project (Helpers Needed)  (Read 2284 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Affordable Wargaming Project (Helpers Needed)
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:00:01 pm »

So, I'm sure more than a few of us on the forums are wargamers. I for one, used to be, until the prices put me off it completely. I doubt I am the only one in this situation. Even with the models, you tend to need expensive rulebooks and paint to go with it.

Now, over the years I have been working on and off on a wargame of my own, and I was also thinking on the best way to eliminate the pricing issue.

Now, what I want to do can basically summed up as an alternate reality version of WW1 and WW2. The game would focus on naval warfare and use weapons and equipment of those eras.

The setting will, of course, be very different (different world, different nations, etc...). Now, in relating to the pricing problems that many wargames suffer from, I want to make this using laminated carboard punch outs. This means no expensive miniatures, no expensive paint, and no painting required.

What I am hoping for is to be able to sell a starter pack (Rulebook, 2 full fleets, and maybe dice and some terrain) for 20-30$ tops. Other fleets would be maybe 10-15$, and things such as terrain and misc. units would be similarly cheap.

Lose your army? Instead of being out hundreds or thousands of dollars, you could replace it for maybe 40$. Rulebook, army, dice, and terrain catch fire and get sucked into a black hole? Same low price.

If I can pull everything off right I can make a fun and decently flesh out game affordable to most anyone.

What I need though is help. I can write out rules and balance factions easily enough, but I can't draw, nor can I write fluff (or write well at all), or provide any kind of editing in regards to the above. I am hoping I can recruit some help in this regard. I want to put a team together and get this to a point where we can start working on publishing, ideally funded by a kickstarter.

If you are interested in pitching in, please feel free to message me. If you have questions or snide remarks, please post them in the thread.
(I won't mind snide remarks or jackassery so long as it is funny!)

Edit: I should have mentioned two things:
First off, anyone who works on the project will be compensated. The amount everyone (including myself) would receive would be based on how well the project does.

Second, I am more than willing to be flexible with the art style and the setting. I would love to see what people come up with.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:11:42 pm by moghopper »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Affordable Wargaming Project (Helpers Needed)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:50:43 pm »

No interest? I'm surprised.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:17:43 pm »

I mean, I can edit grammar and stuff just fine, as well as bug you about easily-misconstrued rules (I don't play any sort of tabletop wargames or whatever myself. Your post just looked so lonely I had to drop by)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:16 pm »

y'know, there was the TCG back in the day--I forget the name--where you would get this cardboard cards with precut pieces in them and assemble them into pirate ships. It was hella lit and not very expensive if I recall. Just an idea.

EDIT: It was called "Pirates Constructible Strategy Game"... and it was hella lit.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:26:06 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 07:41:31 am »

I was hoping there would be more interest. Maybe I should convert this into a video game.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:11:05 pm »

I was hoping there would be more interest. Maybe I should convert this into a video game.

Well, how do you expect to make it affordable? How will you acquire/make cheap models? Why don't you focus on creating an interesting game to play FIRST with only prototyping materials (aka construction paper and markers) and then decide on the medium you wish to publish through.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »

I would agree the advice above. As a wargamer the idea sounds vey appealing to me, though I'm afraid I also lack the skills to help you in the ways you mention. Best of luck whichever way you attempt to do it.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 08:58:06 am »

I think I may lock the thread, and come back later once I have something more tangible to present.

But before that, what would be more appealing? WW2 or Starships?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 10:56:36 am »

Search your heart. What game do you want to play? Make that.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 12:39:06 pm »

Or mechs? Or steampunk airships? I mean, before you've begun, you have the potential to make literally anything. Heck, you can just make something abstract and slap the theme on later once you're ready to begin the fluff-ization process. Like Urist McScoopbeard said, make what you want. You'll be spending them most time and soul on this project if it goes forward.

EDIT: Random thought: You could consider using papercraft models rather than chits, which would give you the whole model aspect at a fraction of the cost.
Check out my books at O and H Books

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 09:00:47 pm »

I have already done some preliminary work, and its geared towards ships (Space or sea). Out of the two, I would much prefer a WW2-ish setting.

Papercraft models are something I have not considered. Can you give me some examples?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:44 pm »

Papercraft models are something I have not considered. Can you give me some examples?

For prototyping, and I know it's not super exciting, it's literally best to just go get some cardboard or construction paper and literally cut out basic shapes.

Visuals are pretty low on the list of things that are required to have fun. Though people are now very spoiled by fancy craftsmanship, the gameplay is most important.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:12 am »

The papercraft thing was mostly a suggestion for production, not development. That Pirates Constructible Strategy Game is what I'm thinking of, if you just Google some images you can see what I mean. (I recall there was some kind of super-fancy space ship game that worked similarly, but I can't remember its name)

That said, even in production flat ships may be perfectly fine. It depends how much it all costs to produce, since your main goal seems to be to make it affordable.

In, re: spaceships, realistic spaceships maneuver entirely differently from sea-based ships, so my inner nerd would recommend WWII for a ship game. (Out of curiousity, are you going for carriers as well, or is this battleship on battleship action?)

EDIT: For super affordability, you can offer print-and-play PDFs as well, and let the players print it out.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:36:02 am by Gigalith »
Check out my books at O and H Books

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 05:11:42 pm »

The papercraft thing was mostly a suggestion for production, not development. That Pirates Constructible Strategy Game is what I'm thinking of, if you just Google some images you can see what I mean. (I recall there was some kind of super-fancy space ship game that worked similarly, but I can't remember its name)

That said, even in production flat ships may be perfectly fine. It depends how much it all costs to produce, since your main goal seems to be to make it affordable.

In, re: spaceships, realistic spaceships maneuver entirely differently from sea-based ships, so my inner nerd would recommend WWII for a ship game. (Out of curiousity, are you going for carriers as well, or is this battleship on battleship action?)

EDIT: For super affordability, you can offer print-and-play PDFs as well, and let the players print it out.

PDF's would be something to consider. Perhaps one could buy the cardboard ships at a store, and the ships come with a code to download the pdf?

As for carriers, I do plan on including them. They would be very dangerous, but very fragile (for the most part), and have little to no offensive weapons.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 08:13:25 am »

Sorry I haven't said anything in a bit. I was sick for a while and am just now getting over it. I may be able to actually get some work done this weekend.
Pages: [1] 2