Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Letting go.  (Read 1188 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Letting go.
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:49:06 pm »

Lately I've been struggling with my feelings about come to terms with the fact that I'll most likley never see the person I realized I'd fallen in love with in high school, because timing was bad and I've never had a way to propperly contact them. Yet it eats at me too often, I beat myself up over not compromising myself just to gain time to at least  build a working relationship. I could have pourpose fully failed a course and gotten enough time to at least network,  but choose not to.

I could've visited the area sooner but I was too embarrassed, I feel feel horrible about not even really getting a chance at any kind of closure, heck  if I had worked out the timing a little better I could've asked some of my other friends to act as intermediaries, but I suppose it was too confident in my ability to deal with everything on my own at the time to ask for help.

In short I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably never see this person again and I'll probably never end up knowing how I felt about them, how do I let go of all of that?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Letting go.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:14:47 am »

Simply put, you have to make it a habit to stop yourself from ruminating and focus on what's in front of your life instead. As I'm sure you've discovered, ruminating is an infinite process and does nothing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:18:33 pm »

You can also funnel your angst in to something, which helps a lot with avoiding rumination. Like: self-improvement through physical exercise (my current personal favorite), learning and creative/artistic pursuits. Sometimes angst gets in the way of creativity but other times it can be fuel for it.

It is much harder to avoid ruminating when you're not moving, and that can tend to include video games which, while distracting, don't really help you exercise your demons very well unless the game itself helps you come to some poignant realizations about yourself or your situation.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 08:27:22 pm »

Nejin ftw
××××××××××××××××××

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:39 pm »

You can also funnel your angst in to something, which helps a lot with avoiding rumination. Like: self-improvement through physical exercise (my current personal favorite), learning and creative/artistic pursuits. Sometimes angst gets in the way of creativity but other times it can be fuel for it.

It is much harder to avoid ruminating when you're not moving, and that can tend to include video games which, while distracting, don't really help you exercise your demons very well unless the game itself helps you come to some poignant realizations about yourself or your situation.
I know this is late, but thank you very much.