Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is a 2-Z high wall REALLY necessary?  (Read 1006 times)

mizok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is a 2-Z high wall REALLY necessary?
« on: July 18, 2017, 02:17:26 am »

Hi guys :D

I am now planning about my next construction project. But I am wondering if a 2-z high wall is that necessary for defending the fortress...
Can anyone tell the difference between a 1-z high wall and 2-z high wall(assume both of them have get the climb safety) in regard to safety?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Is a 2-Z high wall REALLY necessary?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 04:23:01 am »

I recall reports of zombies jumping up through nominally safe depot entrances (holes in ceiling with ramps without walls near below), which are constructed in such a way to be climb-safe.

You could make use the fact that buildings are unclimbable, though, with raised raising bridges.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 05:20:37 pm »

All above ground walls can be climbed unless vertical access is blocked by a floor jutting out, with the only (possible) exception is smoothed natural stone, but you might be able to use drawbridges instead of walls as Fleeting Frames said.
Creatures won't climb walls unless they detect an enemy to path to, however (and undead sense living isn't blocked by wallls). It can also be good to remember that the greatest threat to your dorfs' mental stability doesn't care about walls: Keas just fly over them to induce vengeful thought into your dorfs, so you need a roof to keep them out, and if you've got a roof the height of the wall is a non issue (mine is zero, as I use recessed decked over courtyards).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:22:47 am »

If you put up a wall, even if it is just temporary protection or a way to funnel critters into a pack of dogs, build a ramp somewhere on the inside of the wall so any dwarfs that dodge onto the wall can get down.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:23 am »

A little off topic but may be helpful when building the walls.  I have started making hollow walls with a cross section like this: (the outside is to the right)

floorfloorfloor
wallfloorwalltopfloorwall
wallfloorwall
wallgroundwallpavedroadx6

Usually all of wood because I seem be be starting in heavily forested biomes.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:29:13 am »

It can also be good to remember that the greatest threat to your dorfs' mental stability doesn't care about walls: Keas just fly over them to induce vengeful thought into your dorfs, so you need a roof to keep them out, and if you've got a roof the height of the wall is a non issue (mine is zero, as I use recessed decked over courtyards).
Unless your walls are high enough to reach the sky (can't build them on highest z-level, but fortifications, bridges, obsidian-casting, etc. are ok.)

Might be cheaper than building a roof; i.e. say a castle 33x33 has 132 wall tiles and 961 floor tiles gives 7,28 ratio, while sky might be 4z away after initial walls.

Main advantage of this is a safe aboveground tavern.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:40:40 am »

I don't think you'll get that low a sky unless you mess with parameters (I've certainly built a dozen tile high staircase on top of my 3 tile high orchard in order to build a ballista platform to blow camping albatrosses and a titan out of the sky in one case).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:47 pm »

Hm, yes. Checking, the default is 15 - I'm very much used to 5.