Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I start LCS?  (Read 3970 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Should I start LCS?
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »

I've read some about it here and in the sticky thread, and it seems interesting fascinating and eminently Bay12-y, but I'm slightly hesitant because of the vague references to "nasty stuff" in it.
Your advice?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:59:13 pm by Eschar »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I start LCS?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:17:39 pm »

Play it.  :)

The 'nasty stuff' isn't exactly graphic, and is intended to be humorous. LCS doesn't take itself too seriously.  :D

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:08:22 am »

Definitely play it. Be warned that LCS is a bit "weird" to play (you'll get used to it), however, and that development for LCS is mostly dead (Jonathan S. Fox and Kamal-Sadek mysteriously disappeared). You should also give the Terra Vitae mod a try, too.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:14:30 pm »

I've had lots of fun with it over the years, development has sadly been dead for several years and will not likely resume but it's altogether a finished game. There are definitely some taboo things in it since you're basically a terrorist but it's not too explicit. Altogether I can highly recommend it, it's not too hard to learn and has lots of replayability.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 04:22:47 am »

I've had lots of fun with it over the years, development has sadly been dead for several years and will not likely resume but it's altogether a finished game. There are definitely some taboo things in it since you're basically a terrorist but it's not too explicit. Altogether I can highly recommend it, it's not too hard to learn and has lots of replayability.

Moreover, while the organisation of the code might call for more object-oriented programing and less use of hardcoding for objets and data, it is still easy to mod.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 04:32:25 am »

I wanted to make same kind of thread like this one, but no reason to make yet another thread like that, really. So, which version of LCS I should get; official or fan-maintained (the one on Github)? Also, any tips before I start my first game?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:08:55 am »

Official is outdated and lacking in features compared to fan-maintained (AKA Github), but easy to install and comes with an Exe. Terra Vitae mod is worth checking out since it's the only active LCS thing that has active development, but it is simultaneously updated (Lots of new stuff) and outdated (Doesn't have the "Vehicle Dodge" mechanic that Github LCS has) at the same time.

Github has more stuff like Augmentations, multiple save files, car chases being actually survivable if you fight it out or can't escape (Driving skill now allows you to perform Dodge in car chases, which you'll need because of how outnumbered you are during a chase), nerfs to the "shoot up a police station and never get raided" strategy (You'll get raided no matter what, even if the police station shuts down. This is actually a negative, since reorganizing after a siege is way too tedious), and so on.

Make sure to read up on the LCS Wiki. It's a bit outdated, but the info in there is still usable. If you're going violent, make sure to always have a six-man squad (Conservatives randomly come in pairs of six during encounters, and your Liberals only attack once per turn.), use rifles (Assault Rifles are KING in LCS. They slaughter armored conservatives like cops and soldiers just as easily as unarmored conservatives, and usually one-hit kill or cripple. Plus, if you can easily kill soldiers in one turn, you can farm assault rifle ammo), and have a good driver (Car chases are hard to survive due to either the driver crashing and killing everyone, or the driver failing to get away and everyone getting shot up by FOUR cars filled with SIX conservatives. That's 24 people shooting you at once, and there is no Vehicle Dodge unless you play Github.)

If you're going pacifist, try to avoid violence. You'll still probably commit crimes like hacking (which was nerfed to give more heat for some reason) and vandalism, but you won't get the death penalty or sixty-plus life sentences if you get caught (which my violent mass-shooter Liberals often get). With 10 in Music and a guitar, you can stun conservatives with music and eventually convert them into Liberals.

No matter what your strategy is, violent or nonviolent, kidnapping + interrogating is very overpowered and ignores recruitment limits, especially with a high Psychology "Good cop" and several "Bad cops". Beat the conservative to their minimum wisdom before having the Good Cop come in. (Average joes go as low as 1, dangerous conservatives like CCS Agents, CEOs, Soldiers, etc always have a minimum wisdom of 7 and don't go any lower IIRC). You'll attract heat this way if you take too long and the kidnapping gets on the news, though, so switch safehouses when the heat gets high and do community service for a while until it dies down. Buy American flags to be patriotic AND to give a bonus to how secret your base is, too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:10:39 am by Taberone »