Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Regions of Ruin 65% off for 7 days and 10 languages  (Read 7771 times)

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing Regions of Ruin (By Vox games and Poysky Productions)
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »

We squashed those bugs today n9103, thanks a bunch man!
Poysky Productions

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 03:17:29 pm »

The quest by a lumberdwarf about killing goblins from his wood doesn't seem to end properly despite killing the goblins.

stephenLucerne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 05:05:25 am »

Hey, Thanks everyone for your help so far, we've nailed down quite a few bugs, and we have quite a lot more content coming as well.
currently adding some mini-games to the tavern, here's a teaser: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrgl3rpos9qmslx/coinFlipping.mov?dl=0

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:27 am »

We're getting ready to revamp the map to make the game an open world RPG. No more linear progression on the map screen, you'll have to send scouts out to uncover new bits of the map and any locations in that area are visitable. That way no two adventures will be exactly alike, yet we'll still be able to hand craft each level.
Poysky Productions

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 01:45:15 pm »

That sounds pretty awesome!

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 05:58:12 am »

Allright everyone, we've added a bunch of UI changes, upgradeable buildings and are prepping the open world soon. We need a few more testers, who's up for giving it a try? If you want to join just click here and join our slack channel, ping me or stephenlucerne there and we'll get you set up!

https://join.slack.com/t/poyskyproductions/shared_invite/MjE3MzUyNTQ4NzI1LTE1MDA5NzA5MTUtOWMxNWJlMjNjZA

The link only lasts one week so hurry up and hop in while it's hot. I'll open new rounds of testing further along though!
Poysky Productions

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 04:50:52 pm »

Definitely looks like something I'd be into, but unfortunately I've just recently re-caught the Terraria bug and as such probably wouldn't be dedicating as much time to this as would be preferable. I'll certainly keep an eye on the project though.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 09:54:10 am »

Opening up one final round of testing before we go into Early Access next month. Here's the link, look for me or stephen lucerne in general chat for access to the build.

https://join.slack.com/t/poyskyproductions/shared_invite/MjMxNzAwNzI1OTA0LTE1MDM4NTIwNjItMTRmNWI2ZjY3Nw

We're looking for estimates on balance tweaks, longevity of the game, and fun of course! Feel free to ping us with ideas as well. We're very pro-active!
Poysky Productions

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 10:26:13 am »

https://discord.gg/jxZjXke

We've set up a discord channel where youtubers, streamers and fans will be able to interact with us and game with us as well! Feel free to join!
Poysky Productions

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 06:03:18 am »

I'm helping to test this game, so I've spent quite a bit of time with it at this point. The base mechanics are all fleshed out and there's already about 6 hours worth of content with the usual RPG goodies like exploration, questing, character progression, etc. Most of your time will be spent fighting orcs & goblins to get resources, which you use to explore the world and upgrade your settlement. I'm bad at describing exactly what that's like, so here's gameplay footage from a recent version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjgAWZxd0LA

Right now, the game is in a great spot for its Early Access launch next month. It's fun, especially in 10-20 minute spurts, and there's a good amount of content. If you like light hack-n-slash or Metroidvania games, definitely check it out :)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 09:12:04 am »

It's great to see someone else having as much difficulty vs ranged enemies as I do :P
I like the format you've got, looking forward to future installments.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 04:20:22 am »

Hey guys! Regions of Ruin launched last week to really good reception. http://store.steampowered.com/app/680360/Regions_Of_Ruin/ , feel free to take a look!

Is anyone in the forum a player of the game? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Poysky Productions

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Regions of Ruin now available in Early Access
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 07:11:04 am »

Haven't had time (due to school) lately to check out new games but I will pick it up when I can!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 11:22:41 am »

Nice work with that trailer. I now want your game.
Unfortunately I blew up my game budget already, but I'll keep an eye on it!
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »

So I decided to give this a whirl, and I've been noticing a few... peculiarities.

Now, it's probably my fault for picking Hard difficulty, but I'm used to "hard" meaning "challenging; intended for people with patience and a good understanding of game logic and mechanics", not so much "completely unfeasible".

I'd developed my settlement to the point of having a level 2 tavern, which unlocks contracts. Figuring I'd take it easy the first time around, I selected the lowest-difficulty contract I could find, which had me going out in search of one Fleb the Flatulent, with a reward pot of a measly 285 gold (I had somewhere around 1500 in-pocket at the time).

I was quite surprised, then, when Fleb effortlessly massacred my two hired cronies and proceeded to two-shot me through my shield blocks, all while running at the same speed I moved while dashing.

I tried various tactics of dodging, timing stuns, kiting with ranged weapons... Nope, all pointless. No effort either from me or the rest of my party could so much as make any visible progress on his health bar, and everyone was dead within seconds. And he was impossible to kite as well, thanks to his obscene speed and apparently not even needing to wind up for an attack animation.

So I doubled down on the mercenaries (who apparently do anywhere between 5x and 20x the damage that I can muster, because... Well, because protagonists suck, I suppose?) and brought with me some 7-8 of them (costing many times more than I'd stand to gain by bringing his head in for the bounty) to finally put an end to this rogue goblin.

This time they at least managed to take 1/16th of his health down before everyone lay dead and rotting and I got interdimensionally stabbed again.

So, yeah. Between that, the wolves, and the orc warlords for the Orcbane quest, it seems like this game really doesn't have much of a difficulty curve. More just a difficulty "fuck you".

Otherwise, it seems like really the way this is supposed to be played is to just try and make as much money as possible so that you can afford to hire more mooks to do the fighting for you, seeing as they're faster, healthier, and have FAR more damage output than you could ever hope to attain. Anything beyond the first few goblins will pretty much require that you just put some money down on a moving meat horde while you sit in the back and cower beneath a shield from the infinitely-piercing arrows that end up in your area.

I've also noticed that the campground building upgrades are... Well, shall we say "not created equal"? I upgraded my apothecary from level 2 to level 3, only to learn that I had in fact made it worse, as now I needed to go through a door transition in order to reach the same two workbenches that had been provided in previous versions. And upgrading from 3 to 4 requires what I can only hope is a placeholder value, as it went from needing 500 wood, 100 leather/cotton/food etc., to needing 9,999 adamantite bars.

Would I be correct in making the assumption that it's not even physically possible to accumulate that much wealth? Does the highest tier of storage tent allow you to amass 9,999 of anything?

Also, I'm slightly worried about what happens when the local resources run out. It seems that dwarves cannot replant fields or perform basic forestry once the supply of fallen apples and independently-grounded twigs is gone (it would also be nicer if the worker numbers were a bit more visible, as they have a habit of getting hidden on the map screen).

EDIT: Okay, so, I've just about cleared out all the nearby resources, and I've got more migrants than I know what to do with. This is unfortunate, because if they're hanging around basecamp then there are so many dwarves that I can't access the healer and blacksmith to freshen myself up after explorations, so I need to just send everyone off to some random holding cell until I find a new area with resources, at which point I shuffle a few back to camp and then over to the new resource spot so they can pick up whatever scraps exist there.

There should really be some kind of indicator on the map for when an area no longer has resources available. Or, heck, any kind of indication as to what KIND of resources will be available in a location, since there's really no telling.

A "forest" icon could provide you with leather or wood, as one might expect, but it could also be food, or cotton, or stone, or it could be a dry spot and there's nothing there at all!  You won't know until you've gone there and then re-checked the map screen.

Seeing as I'm running out of implemented locations to scavenge and I'm also running out of materials to upgrade my buildings with, I'm reaching the point of "what happens when there's nothing left" a lot sooner than I would have expected.  Frankly, I think the resource system could do with a serious overhaul.

Really though, the greatest sin I've seen so far has been the fight with Jorog the Bull. One thing is how massively tanky the brute is, requiring a very long and tedious battle to whittle him down, but it's absolutely unacceptable that his attacks are what they are.

I'm not talking about the damage (which I was able to soak bizarrely well, all things considered), I'm not even referring to the big shockwave he sends out with every smash. I'm talking about the fact that he can whip around to hit you mid-animation if you're behind him, and the shockwave will follow.

This means that he can wind up, hit the ground as you dodge past him (there's some weirdness with this too, where dodging during or just before an attack will see you dash out of reach and then get damaged when you're nowhere near him), and as you're getting some space on the other side of him he'll turn around just in time for the outermost blast (which was going the other direction) of his shockwave to hit you.

Thankfully the shockwave itself doesn't do any damage, but getting tagged by it and having the screen zoom in while time slows down makes an already tedious slog of a fight just that much more drudging.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4