Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Regions of Ruin 65% off for 7 days and 10 languages  (Read 7752 times)

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regions of Ruin now available in Early Access
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 04:18:32 am »

Hey there Kagus! Thanks a bunch for the feedback. We are looking over it now.

The contracts are randomized, as such they aren't based so much on the game's difficulty setting so much as how the RNG gods roll the die.

In terms of content, keep in mind we're adding 10 or so maps a week, and adding new features at least twice a month in preparation for launch. The game is in early access at the moment, but there's enough there to sate your curiosity, but don't think for a second that this is it, we still have a long ways to go!

Just remember, we ARE here, and we DO listen!
Poysky Productions

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regions of Ruin now available in Early Access
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 05:07:21 am »

Here is an update on the current state of affairs we have going on in the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/regionsofruin/announcements/

If you want to help, feel free to spread the word! A huge thanks to everyone at the bay12 forums, you guys are AWESOME and all the feedback I've been getting from you via steam chat, email and PM is very helpful. As always it's a pleasure to be part of such an amazing community!

Oh, and we're adding DF reference easter eggs in the game just for you ;). So far there's a few but we expect there to be more soon enough :D
Poysky Productions

stephenLucerne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Regions of Ruin now on sale for the next 6 days!
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 09:18:18 am »

Hey guys!

We have had such awesome support from everyone here, it's so humbling for us, we couldn't be more grateful.

Just letting you all know, we have a sale going on RIGHT NOW for Regions of Ruin, if you've wanted to pick it up for cheap, now's your chance!!!!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/680360/Regions_Of_Ruin/

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 08:31:42 pm »

So I wanted to see what all had changed since last time I played, and popped back in on my old save. The difficulty scale was all over the place, as before, but that probably had a fair amount to do with my build not being "optimal". That said, there's still the jarring split between "places you can take on yourself" and "places you absolutely cannot handle without a full posse of elite meatshields". Crawler infestations are probably the worst culprits here; as they ignore (or at least mostly bypass) shields, do insane amounts of damage (often with extra poison on top), come in large groups, have reduced stun times, and are too fast to kite or outmaneuver successfully.  Now, it's entirely possible to tackle these places given enough warm bodies to take the brunt of their aggression, but then we get into the problem of having to backtrack to the camp, hire the exorbitantly expensive mercenaries, go back to the cave, then potentially spend some more time reloading so you can "scout out" which other unexplored locations could make good use of the remaining moves you've got on their contracts so you can get your money's worth.

A lot of this will get fixed when the changes come to make hirelings semi-permanent (very nice to see you're working on that by the way, it'll be a very positive change for the overall experience), but until then we've got the tried-and-true method of suddenly dying from an unexpected ambush of very fast and very toothy reminders that the game has a follower system.

Later I ended up finding another ancient dwarven artifact, which while being remarkably straightforward and easy to unlock, is objectively the best melee weapon in the game. After that point the difficulty curve went from "punishing and unyielding, with random spots of easy" to "you look at the thing: The thing is now dead", and I've proceeded to walk over absolutely every endgame encounter the game had to throw at me. I also somehow have 100+% resistance to all elements and half of my build is now pointless. Swings and roundabouts.

One thing has been bothering me, however... Bandages are now extinct in this world.

You see, when I'd cleared out the implemented parts of the world back in October, I only had about 40-60 units of cotton in my stocks. I quickly made these into large bandages in the new version, because I quickly ended up needing them (this was before I found God's Own Hitting Stick). Now there is no more cotton in the world. So far as I've seen, not a single one of the newly-implemented locations was designated as a cotton resource.

But, not to fear! The developers have heard our prayers of renewable resources and have introduced; The Market! A new building that lets you throw money at a resource deficit in the hopes of finding a solution.

Unfortunately, the level 1 market does not allow you to trade for cotton... No matter, I'll just upgrade it. What do we need to upgrade the market? Aha. 100 cotton. I see.

So now the world has no more cotton, and as such there are no more bandages to be had; because I can't get any more cotton, since there is no cotton to upgrade the market. It's a good thing I'm now functionally immortal, otherwise having my only form of on-demand healing taken away would've been problematic.

I'll be less flowery for my next point, because it is important: Remove the price adjustment on market goods. There is no reason for that to be a thing, at all. Don't overcomplicate things and think you're going to simulate an economy with supply and demand, just give the players a fixed rate.

Personally, I still feel the resource system in general could be handled better by having fewer resource nodes, with caps on how many laborers can be working at any one point, and just let it be an endless source...  I feel more like a pillaging barbarian than someone trying to reform a civilization, and the constant shuffling back and forth of peasants between the last few fruitful nodes just isn't very fun (on that note though, many thanks for the new management overlay! It's much better than doing things by hand).

By the by, if "Add more DF references" is still on the to-do list, please cross it off. The game was already stifled with them in October, and it really wouldn't hurt to trim out several of the less significant ones. Let your game be its own thing with its own setting and its own lore, and let it stand on its own merits. During the early portions of the playthrough, I was running into so many different callbacks and blatant references that it honestly felt like some kind of advertisement for Dwarf Fortress, rather than an independent game.

Also, I see you've added a clicker game into the tavern. Why? Yes, I see there are several meta upgrades available for reaching all the achievement milestones in the clicker game, but... Why? The whole experience is just so jarring and weird, it really breaks the overall flow of the game in my opinion. What's even happening here? Is this some sort of dwarven iPad, the last remnant of our forgotten civilization? Does the barkeep have a colony of miniscule gnomes hidden in the basement? Is he just simulating and calculating all the mining and whatnot in his head before deciding to give you improvements to your settlement? What's going on, and why is there an improvement that increases the chance for finding new book pages when there is a strictly finite number of places where those can generate? Am I doomed to never complete certain books because I explored too many locations before putting in my time playing Diggy Clicker? What gameplay elements are improved by this existing?

There are some miscellaneous gripes regarding a couple quests not progressing or giving sufficient information, plus an ever-growing conviction that there are simply too many locations in the game... But I realize that a lot of work has been put into making those locations, and although I firmly believe the game would be better off if it drastically reduced the number of unique travel points (preferably combining the quest points and overall resources/functions into fewer, more expansive and detailed areas), I can accept it for what it is and acknowledge that those kinds of changes are a bit much to ask at this stage in development.

I wish you all the best of luck on the project and I sincerely hope that you'll be able to avoid the pitfalls of your earlier titles, in order to ensure that Regions of Ruin becomes the best game that it has the potential to be.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 12:09:06 pm »

Posting to remind myself to buy this when I get home
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regions of Ruin LAUNCHES Feb 5
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 05:24:25 pm »

A friendly update to let you all know that we formally launch 1.0 on Febuary 5th! Wishlist now and get in on the discount!
Poysky Productions

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 03:41:22 am »

Only three days left until we launch 1.0! Anyone who's played it lately will be able to get that content allready, but basically we've added 120 new areas, 30 new hours of gameplay, a clicker minigame and loads of other stuff during the early access period!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:08:16 am by alexpoysky »
Poysky Productions

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2018, 04:54:04 am »

You mean the clicker minigame? 8 hours is a little bit of a stretch, you can unlock all the achievements (and thus all the effect it has on the rest of the game) in 30 minutes, an hour if you're not paying attention.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 05:07:45 am »

Edited
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:51:33 am by alexpoysky »
Poysky Productions

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2018, 06:05:33 pm »

Nice to know that the final game is coming around. I tried the alpha back in the day and gave some suggestions on Slack. Maybe I'll buy the finished one and see if they made it in the game.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 11:04:21 am »

We launch in a little under one hour. We are super stoked!
Poysky Productions

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 08:23:22 pm »

I haven't seen much news on this so went to check it out on steam only to notice that I still have this in my steam library, despite never buying it... I received a key during early access for testing but assumed it would vanish when going live, as they usually do.

SO I did some digging. Some searches. Stuff like that.

I found this:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/342640/announcements/detail/1665638801582274368

Now I cannot speak to the validity of the statements there. I only got there because I started look around because I was apparently given a real key, not a temporary beta key or tester key which usually happens. I'm not sure what to do about that. At first I thought it was clearly a mistake on their part but then I ran into this statement from Vitali Kirpu that Alex Poysky was possibly selling generated keys and my suspicion flags all go off because that is how I got my testing key. Did I receive a full key by mistake? I'm planning to delete the game from my steam library and wash my hands of the matter but just wanted to make this known as I notice nothing has been updated in this thread since(and indeed AlexPoysky hasn't posted here since) that news article was released.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:39:54 pm by forsaken1111 »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 09:53:48 pm »

Maybe I have an unusual experience, but every game I can recall that I've helped beta/bugtest have been on full keys.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2018, 10:32:18 pm »

Every other time I've received a key to help test or access a beta the key has expired on launch unless it was clearly indicated that I was getting the full game for free.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 03:18:58 am »

When Stephen and I give out keys to the game, they are full keys, as a thanks for people testing. Besides, I've had a lot of fun on the bay12 forums, this is where I started my career basically. In any case, when in doubt, buy a key for a friend and pay it forward!
Poysky Productions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4