Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Regime  (Read 6858 times)

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training Regime
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:23:46 pm »

I was going to reply to that topic about how to raise skills but instead chose to start my own giving my personal training regime, as I think its quite good :P

Bear in mind that, despite being really boring, this will get your skills up to legendary! If you follow these steps you will get to eat bogeyman for breakfast in no time!

*SUGGESTION*
Before starting, I recommend you invest your skill points like this:

- 1 point in areas that might get you killed when you try to learn them: novice climber and novice swimer,
- 1 point in the reading skill as you cant learn it and people who cant read cant become necromancers (ELVES CANT BE NECROMANCERS SO DONT BOTHER)
- ALL the other points in one weapon skill as you will need to  risk your life in many, many, many combat situations to raise one up to legendary.

First Step - the shield.
You NEED a shield so go find a random npc and try to exchange an useless item like your underwear for a shield.

Second Step - the boot.
You NEED ONE piece of armor equipped. Can be a boot, a glove, any piece will do. To get this you can talk to any npc wearing armor and try to exchange your dagger, undies or whatever for a piece of that gear.

**IMPORTANT**
Make sure its ONE piece as a full set will heavily impact in your training making you bleed like a pig and possibly die at the paws of a squirshy cat (not to mention the many scars you will get on your face).

Third Step - the dracula (optional).
Move to a human town or city and find the temple statues. Temples are listed with blue names in the traveling screen (shift + t, press m till you get to the screen listing your surroundings e.g.: houses, shops, etc). Once you are close to a statue save the game. Press u and topple the statue. If you get a msg telling you were cursed, check if you see red asterisks (if you became a vampire, these will mark possible prey that lie hidden from your sight).

If the "hidden" npcs didnt turn into red asterisks quit the game without saving and load it again. Repeat this until you see them.

**IMPORTANT**
If you topple a statue but get no message sorry but you have to find another temple (most likely in another city) and try again (and good luck with the bogeyman :P )

Fourth Step - the bullying
Theres a good chance you will see a herd of cats surrounding the temple, enough to even lag your game... if you can take it good, If you cant try to find a bunch of cats or small animals somewhere else. Lagged or not, follow these steps:

1- Pull your shield out and grab up to 5 cats. it can be any body part but remember to not grab them with neither your shield or your weapon, REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR SHIELD OUT!

2- Record and Play a Macro

- Start recording a macro (ctrl + r)
- Press the . key as many times as you please
- Stop recording the macro (ctrl + r)
- Play your macro (ctrl + p)

You stop any macro by moving the mouse pointer out of the game screen (you can also alt + tab to another window)

*SUGGESTION*
You can set the number of times you want to see the macro played by pressing ctrl + u and typing a number, just make sure you DONT PRESS ENTER, instead play the macro (ctrl + p ).

***WARNING***
Making use of macros is really nice but it comes with some dangers as well. For instance, the macro wont stop just because your adventurer fell and is lying on the floor. In a brawl thats not a problem as brawlers  are gentleman who will stop beating you up once you fall down (and that includes animals too). But if your macro is running while you lie on the floor in the middle of lethal combat things can take a very nasty turn so be watchful!

**IMPORTANT**
Make sure to wrestle the cats again when they collapse (a simple takedown will do). This is necessary to keep them trying to kill you. If your a vampire you can do this forever. If you are not, should you collapse, either wait a few ticks or wait for an hour with the z key to catch your breath back.

*SUGGESTION*
Become a legendary wrestler! Should you not be too bored after repeatedly playing with your pets, set your combat options to "close combat" and engage one of them by keeping one of the arrow keys pressed. Doing this should turn you in a legendary wrestler in a matter of few minutes. Sadly, sometimes you might throw your partner around, robing him of his brief existence and you of copious amounts of time. Should this be the case, just prompt another fluffy friend to dance with you, gently guiding him by his neck! :D

***WARNING***
If you escale the level of conflict of your bullying to lethal or no quarter MAKE SURE YOU DONT COLLAPSE. Instead you must either flee or kill your sparring friend as, in these  circumstances, COLLAPSING IS A DEATH SENTENCE and even the smallest of animals will take their time killing you very, very slowly in a most coward, sadistic fashion.

Final Observations:
This method will increase dodge, armor user, shield user, fighter, observer skills at once so DONT WASTE STARTING POINTS ON THEM! Also, as a vampire you will get an invisible multiplier doubling your strength, agility and toughness attributes. A vampire does not need willpower (they cant feel pain), endurance (they never get tired) disease resistance (they dont get sick). Indeed vampirism is so good it renders all these attributes totally useless and you can even PERMANENTLY set your movement speed to "Sprint" with absolute impunity.

Should the idea fancy you, why not relax in a necro tower chatting with those creepy dudes? A vampire necromancer might be even more broken :P

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:52:25 pm by Badargo »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Regime
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:55:57 pm »

Wow, you sound like you've past your first three months of newbiehood, and now that you've graduated you know enough to tell everyone how it's done! How exciting for you!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:31:59 pm »

Doesn't vampirism double your stats only at the moment of cursing? It's less effective the earlier on you use it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:46:57 pm »

Doesn't vampirism double your stats only at the moment of cursing? It's less effective the earlier on you use it.
Not anymore; as of a few versions ago it's an independent modifier that multiplies the base stats without changing them directly. The modified stats won't appear on your character sheet or in your description, and as you develop your base stats the multiplier still applies.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 12:29:11 am »

Not anymore; as of a few versions ago it's an independent modifier that multiplies the base stats without changing them directly. The modified stats won't appear on your character sheet or in your description, and as you develop your base stats the multiplier still applies.
Really? First I've heard of it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 12:54:21 pm »

Heyy... im sorry about da necro move but its been ages I have played this game and I want to come back and... since i made a topic about this ages ago I thought it would be best to not make a new one...

Sadly I forgot everything about how to play DF :D

So I wanna ask: would it be feasible to achieve legendary level in all those skills playing slow and normally now? Or this kind of mindless grinding is still necessary?

And also, are vampires still that op? Can a non vampire adventurer be just as amazing?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:58:22 pm by Badargo »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 08:34:15 pm »

How much has actually changed in adventure mode since? There are dice you can find in shrines that can give you good/bad effects. One of those grants you divine equipment. Rolling a given deity's dice too many times in one week curses you like the statue topple effect and prevents you from using dice.

You can start with multiple adventurers and mounts. You can have one of your adventurers die and then raise them as intelligent undead using necromancy, potentially granting OP powers such as paralysis. (IIRC, you have to unretire them to play as them again.)

Can't think of much else that makes you more powerful.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:39:19 pm by Bumber »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 12:44:42 am »

How much has actually changed in adventure mode since? There are dice you can find in shrines that can give you good/bad effects. One of those grants you divine equipment. Rolling a given deity's dice too many times in one week curses you like the statue topple effect and prevents you from using dice.

You can start with multiple adventurers and mounts. You can have one of your adventurers die and then raise them as intelligent undead using necromancy, potentially granting OP powers such as paralysis. (IIRC, you have to unretire them to play as them again.)

Can't think of much else that makes you more powerful.
this is only if you locate an dead adventurer from a previous attempt but dead adventurers from the current adv party can be controllable again which means you could revive and grant powers to your group of adventurers with a drowning chamber.

though given professions one could start off as a ranger and or a hunter and gain free skills into dodging and sneaking which one could set those to legendary right out the bat then there's the crossbowman skill that you could also just dump into legendary.

then there's being able to play as an elephantperson combined with someone gifting them a giant elephant mount which when fighting beings smaller than this you probably be punching limbs off with ease.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 10:02:10 pm »

I always start as outsider to have cave blob avaliable. Cave blobs get exhausted but won't go unconscious.

I won't start training until I become a necromancer. I also jog a little to tire my blob initially. You should also satisfy all your needs for FOCUSED status.

I simply hold my cave blob until I receive legendary observer because in meantime I also get higher dodging exp than that of observer. I'm wearing iron cap as I am a peasant for higher difficulty reasons. Iron cap has to protect me from unlucky hits.

Upon leveling dodge enough I go prone to fix my relation with blob than fast travel to remove pain effect. My another step is to grind combat chance to hit enemies and raise strength.

Your cave blob at this point have increased own combat attributes to get tired less easily. Upon exhaustion and not being grabbed at the moment it will try to flee but it can be trained to never go exert during your training regiment. When determining where cave blob wishes to escape the game ignores the fact that there are doors in the way. If you find yourself in a room with only 1 door and grind skills one tile away from it your blob won't escape. Dwarven living rooms near fortress entrances are an example.

Go prone. Go under your blob. Take down blob with wrestling and stand up. Now set your combat preference to close combat and just spam "5" key. You should be able to level everything very quickly. Your blob may get tired and refuse cooperation by fleeing. Simply restart entire relations until he gets trained enough. At this point you should be close.

After you train your strength to peak level just don't stop grinding until you hit at least 10 more dodge levels. You do train your dodging at slower pace than not attacking when it comes to spended amount of ticks but also importantly you increase your chance to hit with weapons you never touched.

If you are experiencing lag do not embrace wilderness. Just stay in site. It is safer and less laggy for some reason. Night trolls or vampires may sometimes enter at night site and encounter you. You should better be surrounded by someone but they may mostly die. This may not be your interest if you care about them. Simply move away while jogging before troll even loads. Move far away. Night trolls in fast travel have average speed.

If you wish to fight night troll without causing immoral stuff craft yourself a stone axe with tree branches and sharp rock. You should also leave your blob behind locked doors and keep moving away until it no longer is your companion.

If you want to locate your blob after leaving it behind HEAD TO THE SPAWN POINT OF STARTING YOUR ADVENTURE. For me it always appeared in absolutely same building even if I left it far away from it. When it comes to fortress be ready to prepare your memory but hopefully you should restore your blob as companion when it just loads into the world. While it is deep underground fortress you can outright take it with you thanks to fast travel.

Leaving your cave blob in safe spots before moving far away into dark fortress (I guess) for adventuring ensures that your will have your training partner for later usage. Animals in this game with need to eat or drink do not save it in adventure mode very well often becoming fed automatically without resource consumption.

If your blob gets into combat with you for some reason, assuming that it's attributes got maxed out it dodged in my case 3 vampire attacks in a row. All had to be jumped away from. Don't push your luck thought.

If you are paranoid about your stats being too low just train restlessly for 24 hours straight after your blob no longer gets tired.

Edit: You can simply ask blob a favor to wait in place and it actually works but they will stop the moment you finish sentence and cannot target other tile for guarding other than their own. If you return they will be somewhere nearby that tile but I was never away for long time, often up to few in-game hours.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 06:03:15 am by rico6822 »
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 03:31:03 am »

But what about melting the fat off or bridge drowning? You can do both together for efficiency.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 09:37:08 pm »

But what about melting the fat off or bridge drowning? You can do both together for efficiency.

They do work of course but are kind of riskful and I do not want to do save scumming thing.

Additionally training your fighter skill will improve your chances against parrying those randomized goblin worshipped pseudo deities. They have 14 (grandmaster) skill in fighter which in worst case scenario translates to level 5 (proficient) skill with weapons they never used. They may ocasionally hold something in a hand which they will attack with.

In my case I parried a giant "clown" at least 20 times and all except a single deflection instance was "deftly" even if the attack was imminent (1 tick away from being executed). If you parry something deftly you will completely skip your own personal recovery ticks but your opponent will have to recover from attack. If you decide to lay on the ground during the fight to prevent being charged at and your opponent keeps using parryable attack you can pretty often manage to hit and recover from your own attack before said "clown" executes attack again. Compare to parrying and riposting Gwyn in Dark Souls.

If the clown features a dust attack you only have a chance against such enemy as a certain unlockable combat focused procedurally generated race due to their biological immunities to toxins and diseases. Webs can be resisted by grabbing a wall and for fire breathing you just carry a shield. Body made of steel can be eventually crushed through with silver warhammer but hitting head takes more RNG.

Since I already recommended being a necromancer you can just rise some folks to follow you and keep distracting the "clown" even if this thing takes no damage. If it gets hit besides of having at least 14 level of dodging remember that attacks done from behind to enemies who don't see their opponent at the moment have much higher chance to hit. Undead also won't attack clowns that are not made of living material such as mud or steel.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:13:19 am by rico6822 »
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.