Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About how often does DF get an update?  (Read 4128 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About how often does DF get an update?
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:09:23 pm »

Based on passed update release times how long is the interval between releases usually? I'm not asking for the release date of the next update I am just looking for an interval based on empirical data.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: About how often does DF get an update?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 07:28:09 pm »

At least one major update a year, IIRC.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:35:15 pm »

The last update and this upcoming one were "small" which means they were planned for 'under a year' took roughly one year (although upcoming release is now over that by a few weeks). The last "big" release (which activated the world) took just about two years, although Toady says that's too long and would rather split up releases.

After each release a series of rapid small updates happen. This cycle seems to last about 6 months before work on the next release occurs. Can be 20 or so updates during this time. They consist of bug fixes, small suggestions, other stuff Toady feels like throwing in. The very last one traditionally consists of an annoying crash bug that everyone runs into that we have to put up with for the next year or so.

Next release after artifacts (lets assume it'll start work by February?) will be "big". But it remains to be seen just how big.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:39:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:09 pm »

The last update and this upcoming one were "small" which means they were planned for 'under a year' took roughly one year (although upcoming release is now over that by a few weeks). The last "big" release (which activated the world) took just about two years, although Toady says that's too long and would rather split up releases.

After each release a series of rapid small updates happen. This cycle seems to last about 6 months before work on the next release occurs. Can be 20 or so updates during this time. They consist of bug fixes, small suggestions, other stuff Toady feels like throwing in. The very last one traditionally consists of an annoying crash bug that everyone runs into that we have to put up with for the next year or so.

Next release after artifacts (lets assume it'll start work by February?) will be "big". But it remains to be seen just how big.
Thanks for the insight into how updates usually go.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:02 pm »

If the current dev notes are something to go by, it has to be one of the biggest updates DF has seen yet, bar the multi-z update: myth and magic.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:56:09 pm »

If the current dev notes are something to go by, it has to be one of the biggest updates DF has seen yet, bar the multi-z update: myth and magic.
Yeah, I'm thinking he'll try and break it down at least a little. Perhaps put off alternate planes (which he's already said is on a similar scale to multi-z levels) for a separate release.

I wouldn't mind waiting another 2 years, I guess. It's fun enough reading the devblog. So long as there really isn't a blatant crash bug thrown in at the end. :)

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:28:33 pm »

Every year around the summer comes a mayor update with new features and added stuff. After that come many other
little updates with bug fixes and some improvements.

You can show here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html
Their you see all versions and their release date

Hope I could help!
The old apple revels in its authority.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 03:13:34 pm »

Every year around the summer comes a mayor update with new features and added stuff. After that come many other
little updates with bug fixes and some improvements.

You can show here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html
Their you see all versions and their release date

Hope I could help!
Last major update (.42.01) was released in December 2015. Followed by a series of mini updates that finished in July 2016 (by which time the amount of mini features had pushed the version number up to .43. The number being a rough guide to the amount of features implemented - 43%).

Before that 40.01 was released in July 2014.

Your better of reading the devblog to see how progress is going. Releases aren't a regular thing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:35:36 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:04 am »

0.40.01 was already bigger than 0.27 by any reasonable metric.

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:42 am »

Based on passed update release times how long is the interval between releases usually? I'm not asking for the release date of the next update I am just looking for an interval based on empirical data.
You know how the strange mood system works in the game? Just that almost perfectly mirrors how updates happen.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 12:16:48 am »

You know how the strange mood system works in the game? Just that almost perfectly mirrors how updates happen.
What happens if Toady's power fails while he's in the middle of a mood?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:20 pm »

He plays with Scamps because Scamps is the source of all happiness.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.