Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 27791 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2017, 04:07:38 am »

That last one I definitely like. And not just for compassionate, everyday purposes. Imagine getting in a fight with somebody, they're sizing up the right moment to attack you, when suddenly from their perspective all feels right with the world and they're at peace, in the arms of somebody they care about. Then BAM! I sucker punch the dude.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2017, 08:28:13 am »

Oh! Here's a shitty power. The power of being constantly radioactive, whether you like it or not.

You are immune to heat and you are unaffected by the radiation yourself, but everything around you is subject to radioactive decay and all associated dangers. Have fun!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2017, 08:43:22 am »

That last one I definitely like. And not just for compassionate, everyday purposes. Imagine getting in a fight with somebody, they're sizing up the right moment to attack you, when suddenly from their perspective all feels right with the world and they're at peace, in the arms of somebody they care about. Then BAM! I sucker punch the dude.

Did you just punch someone you were psychically hugging? That's a low blow dude.

Shittiest "super power"; upon being killed, reappear, nearby or not, in the healthiest state you ever were in all your lives. Say you were at your best at 18 then you developed a drinking problem. You die, youre that 18 year old again, if thats the best shape youre ever in thats what youll reappear as every time youre killed.

You can be killed forever. Technically every time you die gives you a chance to escape whatever predicament you were in, as you could reappear miles away in any location youve been or learned about. You are functionally immortal. But doomed to experience death over and over for eternity. Live to the ripe old age of 70 and then have a heart attack? Start over an instant later as you were at 18. Earth becomes uninhabitable? Guess youre going to die every thirty seconds until conditions improve. And then the heat death of the universe rolls around and it really starts to suck to be you.

But with enough experience youll still be kicking ass for as long as there are asses to kick, right?

Other lame superpowers may include advancing the aging process of living beings youre touching by a factor you decide on, without being able to reverse that aging process, for the duration of contact. You could literally kill someone in an instant by deciding to increase the rate of attrition a million to one, or halt their development as long as youre touching them. Again, you could be immortal, if nobody shoots you or you get sick or something. You can also grow a tree in an instant (ignoring where it gets the mass and energy from). Finally get an answer to whether or not lobsters are immortal.

The poor dude who gets that first superpower. I think I just let out a single tear for him.

That second one isn't that bad though. That's the ability to literally kill anyone instantly with a touch, just in a more roundabout way. As long as the target isn't immortal, than he should die.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2017, 12:36:30 pm »

That second one isn't that bad though. That's the ability to literally kill anyone instantly with a touch, just in a more roundabout way. As long as the target isn't immortal, than he should die.

What if he just reappears as an 18 year old?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2017, 01:02:02 pm »

What if he just reappears as an 18 year old?

Then there will be an awkward silence that is shared between these two, as they both try to figure out what just happened.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2017, 03:04:50 pm »

What if he morphs into an immortal lobster when you try to touch him?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2017, 03:08:12 pm »

What if he morphs into an immortal lobster when you try to touch him?

I'm gonna rephrase what I said a second ago to avoid me having to answer a bunch of questions about someone else's power.

That's the ability to literally kill anyone instantly with a touch

That's the ability to kill almost anyone with a touch

Better?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2017, 03:10:57 pm »

What if the person's power is to always see posts in the form they were in before editing?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2017, 03:15:00 pm »

What if the person's power is to always see posts in the form they were in before editing?

Then that person is the worst.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2017, 04:15:10 am »

Ofcourse, the only true superpower in the world is the Netherlands. You might think it's small and insignificant, but that's just because we're not finished yet turning all the world's oceans into tulip growing polders.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2017, 04:16:59 am »

I always love the idea of a super power where you are only as powerful as people believe you are. (I know ONE character who was sort of like this... He is as powerful as people believe he is important... so when everyone believed he was the savior, he suddenly gained godlike powers)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2017, 04:39:37 am »

Ofcourse, the only true superpower in the world is the Netherlands. You might think it's small and insignificant, but that's just because we're not finished yet turning all the world's oceans into tulip growing polders.
Suddenly Captain America makes MUCH more sense...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2017, 05:23:56 am »

I was thinking when I watched Age of Ultron, the siblings are more terrifying than Ultron himself.  Movie Ultron is mostly the kind of villain you can punch out.  The siblings both have the kind of powers that are inherently terrifying to fight, because no matter how powerful you are at direct combat it doesn't matter.  In this case, super speed and (weak) mind control.  Show me Frieza or Darksied and I'm like "hey, that's bad but I believe the heroes can beat it."  Show me Lord Ginyu or one of those Flash villains with the same powers as him and I'm just like nope, heroes are fucked.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2017, 08:34:35 am »

I was thinking when I watched Age of Ultron, the siblings are more terrifying than Ultron himself.  Movie Ultron is mostly the kind of villain you can punch out.  The siblings both have the kind of powers that are inherently terrifying to fight, because no matter how powerful you are at direct combat it doesn't matter.  In this case, super speed and (weak) mind control.  Show me Frieza or Darksied and I'm like "hey, that's bad but I believe the heroes can beat it."  Show me Lord Ginyu or one of those Flash villains with the same powers as him and I'm just like nope, heroes are fucked.

Scaling super powers is always difficult because of how radically different they all are. Most Flash or Superman villains hit the point where realistically, no normal human is going to be able to beat them. And then you get people like the siblings who are tough enough so that most normal powered individuals can take them out. And yet, there are enough different super power concepts so that someone with a power that could be considered the weakest might completely counter Quicksilver so he can be taken out in one punch.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2017, 09:12:45 am »

Ah, power countering.

Like that one fight in One Piece(actually, several). Where a supposedly low-power fruit just happens to counter one of the high-tier fruits.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14