Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 28205 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:27:33 pm »

My superpower is really underappreciated. I have the ability to swallow the entire universe in just one bite, and instantaneously crap it out again. Sadly, no one ever notices.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 01:03:32 pm »

I think I *DID* say these were "OP" super powers for evil super villains though, right? This is like "Galactus" level super villain, OK?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactus

I think this confirms my long held suspicion that all my super powered characters are way less powerful than those created by others. I think the most powerful ones I've thought of have only been on the level of Superman, and only then because of high skill and training taking place over 10+ years.

The ability to shoot spaghetti noodles out of your fingertips.

Nobody wants to be covered in spaghetti noodles

I mean, just look at that. You can't top something that amazing.

Sure you can. I am suddenly reminded of a 90s super hero cartoon (that was sadly shortly lived) called The Tick.  Specifically, I think The Breadmaster beats supernoodle finger man.

http://www.thetick.ws/car5.html

"City smothering lemon souffle" indeed!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »

Sure you can. I am suddenly reminded of a 90s super hero cartoon (that was sadly shortly lived) called The Tick.  Specifically, I think The Breadmaster beats supernoodle finger man.

http://www.thetick.ws/car5.html

"City smothering lemon souffle" indeed!

Oh my. And here I was, thinking I was the only one who remembered or loved that glorious show.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 01:41:22 pm »

Anyone who has seen it could never forget it. :P

But, if we are looking for "obscure, borderline useless super powers", I have one for you that is equal parts possibly OP, and squicky:

Control over normal speed evolution
(EG, evolution happens at the natural rate, but you can control it within the limiting bounds of what would normally be expected from the process.)

Why is this potentially OP?

The average human body's total cell count is approximately equaled by single celled organisms that are symbiotically tied to that human's metabolism.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/body%E2%80%99s-bacteria-don%E2%80%99t-outnumber-human-cells-so-much-after-all

That, combined with a universe with genetic mutations that confer super powers, and horizontal gene transfer, the rate at which microbes mutate/evolve, and the mentioned super power, gives a recipe for a character that can exploit their bacterial genome for radically advanced super powers.

Naturally, this character would be an absolute health nut, who seriously cared *A LOT* about the kinds of food they eat, because they need to keep their bacterial colony in top shape for proper power manifestation.

Weaknesses: Antibiotic treated beef, certain forms of probiotic yogurt, broad spectrum antibiotics, and foreign germs that havent been carefully cultivated for their superpower granting potential. -- Psychologically: Dirty rooms, clutter and filth in general, stinky sweaty people, scary refrigerators, etc.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 01:43:18 pm »

That's like a really specific and underpowered version of that chick from Worm who can control all organic matter.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 01:51:15 pm »

On the other hand, she can't control her own biology, so there's that advantage at least.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 01:53:37 pm »

But, if we are looking for "obscure, borderline useless super powers", I have one for you that is equal parts possibly OP, and squicky:

(EG, evolution happens at the natural rate, but you can control it within the limiting bounds of what would normally be expected from the process.)

The average human body's total cell count is approximately equaled by single celled organisms that are symbiotically tied to that human's metabolism.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/body%E2%80%99s-bacteria-don%E2%80%99t-outnumber-human-cells-so-much-after-all

That, combined with a universe with genetic mutations that confer super powers, and horizontal gene transfer, the rate at which microbes mutate/evolve, and the mentioned super power, gives a recipe for a character that can exploit their bacterial genome for radically advanced super powers.

Naturally, this character would be an absolute health nut, who seriously cared *A LOT* about the kinds of food they eat, because they need to keep their bacterial colony in top shape for proper power manifestation.

Weaknesses: Antibiotic treated beef, certain forms of probiotic yogurt, broad spectrum antibiotics, and foreign germs that havent been carefully cultivated for their superpower granting potential. -- Psychologically: Dirty rooms, clutter and filth in general, stinky sweaty people, scary refrigerators, etc.

I love the idea of an incredibly powerful super hero (or villain) who just so happens to be capable of catching a bus that was thrown at her but freaks out if she sees anything that hasn't been cleaned.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:05 pm »

I seem to recall a superhero with mysophobia. Forgot which. I think it might have been the Tick's sidekick, Arthur.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 01:58:37 pm »

I seem to recall a superhero with mysophobia. Forgot which. I think it might have been the Tick's sidekick, Arthur.

I think Arthur was just afraid of everything, which is not unexpected in a universe as inane as the Tick's.

Man, it's been a while since I watched that show. Guess I'm seeing that again soon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:47 pm »

The Tick is brilliant on many levels. I should also definitly rewatch it sometime soon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 02:01:05 pm »

I love the idea of an incredibly powerful super hero (or villain) who just so happens to be capable of catching a bus that was thrown at her but freaks out if she sees anything that hasn't been cleaned.

Think "Howard Hughes" level of germophobia, coupled with a fixation on collecting tissue samples from powerful mutants to study their genomes for use in "power replication" experiments with bacterial vectors.

Wears a hazmat suit, instead of spandex-- but otherwise can manifest powers normally associated with other superhumans-- but flees the scene in terror if their suit gets cut or torn.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:40 pm »

Wears a hazmat suit, instead of spandex-- but otherwise can manifest powers normally associated with other superhumans-- but flees the scene in terror if their suit gets cut or torn.

Finally, someone without the Most Common Superpower.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 02:29:49 pm »

LOL, we can TOTALLY make her a scary looking vegan woman who is the sitting chair for the itty bitty titty committee.

Personally though, I just like the idea of an otherwise frumpy looking woman scientist, who "just does not care, not like you can see through the level 4 haz-suit anyway."

Say we took this lady --

Gave her super geneticist powers, and crammed her into one of these:

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 02:59:27 pm »

LOL, we can TOTALLY make her a scary looking vegan woman who is the sitting chair for the itty bitty titty committee.

Personally though, I just like the idea of an otherwise frumpy looking woman scientist, who "just does not care, not like you can see through the level 4 haz-suit anyway."

Say we took this lady --

Gave her super geneticist powers, and crammed her into one of these:

I really like this person and her powers so far. Hmmm... I need a name that's also a pun...

Jenny Tick? Tick is apparently a last name. According to the internet, which never lies.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 03:05:11 pm »

I was rather partial to "The Epigenecist" myself..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14