Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 28246 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 03:29:24 pm »

I was rather partial to "The Epigenecist" myself..

That's also a good one. Either works, it's your idea.

But... as usual, my brother is capable of thinking of things that literally nobody else thinks of, and he raised a question when I told him what we were talking about.

You know how viruses reproduce? They invade other cells and reprogram them to make more viruses. Could she reprogram her own cells to work in a similar matter, so if a lock of her hair touched you your DNA and cells would start to change to what she wanted her cell virus to mass produce? Could she become a mobile plague?

This was deeply disturbing to me for many reasons. Do you think she could do that?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »

She's a much more apt Typhoid Mary than Marvel's Typhoid Mary.
Love, scriver~

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 07:01:48 pm »

I think she could even program her own cells to turn whoever they're inserted into her cells... she could turn other people into copies of herself.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 08:57:29 pm »

I was rather partial to "The Epigenecist" myself..

That's also a good one. Either works, it's your idea.

But... as usual, my brother is capable of thinking of things that literally nobody else thinks of, and he raised a question when I told him what we were talking about.

You know how viruses reproduce? They invade other cells and reprogram them to make more viruses. Could she reprogram her own cells to work in a similar matter, so if a lock of her hair touched you your DNA and cells would start to change to what she wanted her cell virus to mass produce? Could she become a mobile plague?

This was deeply disturbing to me for many reasons. Do you think she could do that?
Sounds like the plot of the sequel, i think it is, to enders game but with a single person.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 10:53:45 am »

1) control over the weak and strong nuclear forces (because nothing says 'hello superman' quite like causing his whole body to emit kryptonite radiation- from the inside)

Given the implications of said power... This might as well be god powers :P

Molecule man WISHES he had this ability.

It is basically the power set of Dr Manhattan from The Watchmen-- sans the causality bending future sight stuff-- so yes, "godlike", but not invulnerable. (You could throw him into a black hole, and he would not be able to get out, etc.)
If he can control gravity, he could nullify the force of gravity holding him. Of course, he still has to do this hefore the time dilation prevents him from ever doing anything.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 01:09:16 pm »

If he can control gravity, he could nullify the force of gravity holding him. Of course, he still has to do this hefore the time dilation prevents him from ever doing anything.
Black holes without consequences = best black holes.

Though yeah, the time dilation is still a big problem for him. If he got close enough, he could be observed on the edge of it for like 20 years when it only felt like 20 seconds for him.

Spoiler: Doctor Who spoilers (click to show/hide)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »

I have a friend who considers matter manipulation to be the best as well. It's strangely common I guess. O.o

If I had to choose my own power... I would love the ability to guide others toward their fullest potential. As in, to see into another's future and show them the path where they will be able to use their powers and abilities to their fullest. It's a weird set of powers, but I like it.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2017, 08:36:49 pm »

I have a friend who considers matter manipulation to be the best as well. It's strangely common I guess. O.o

If I had to choose my own power... I would love the ability to guide others toward their fullest potential. As in, to see into another's future and show them the path where they will be able to use their powers and abilities to their fullest. It's a weird set of powers, but I like it.

I'm gonna bring up Worm again, and say that sounds like Path to Victory but for other people.

As long as you were a good judge of character, you could take one person from homeless crack addict to most powerful person in the free world with just your guidance.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 08:57:30 pm »

I'm gonna bring up Worm again, and say that sounds like Path to Victory but for other people.

As long as you were a good judge of character, you could take one person from homeless crack addict to most powerful person in the free world with just your guidance.

Who said this needs to be used in a good way? You could potentially use it too make someone into a puppet ruler if you wanted to, and make yourself the real leader who works in shadows. Though he did say, "show them the path where they will be able to use their powers and abilities to their fullest," and since it probably doesn't count as their fullest potential if they are just a puppet, it might not work like that.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 09:04:33 pm »

That's the main downside, you'll never be entirely sure if this person's interests will align with yours. That's why it would be most beneficial if you were to empower individuals for goals that you have no personal stake in, really open ended stuff like "cause as much chaos as possible", "do as much good in the world as possible". From there, it's just a matter of the moral character of the person(s) you choose, you get to give them the skills and knowledge needed through visions/telepathy/something or another.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2017, 10:29:48 pm »

That's what makes it interesting methinks. You could just pull anyone off the street, but would that be a good idea? But I also think that some superpowers aren't fully functioning right away. Being able to guide that sort of development would be interesting, or at least to be able to see what someone can do with nothing holding them back.

Also. Worm is always worth bringing up in superhero conversations. The way that they categorize powers is fascinating!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 10:36:03 pm »

There was a twilight zone episode with a guy with that ability.

Knows exactly what you need...

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:05 pm »

Also. Worm is always worth bringing up in superhero conversations. The way that they categorize powers is fascinating!
I've seen the word, "Worm," show up in this thread too many times to be ignored at this point. What's Worm?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:01:54 am by Derpy Dev »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2017, 08:50:47 am »

It's an internet fiction series ( see here ) by a person going by Wildbow that is probably one of the most imaginative takes on superpowered people I've ever seen. Give the first arc a read and see if you're not hooked. I myself have only gotten to arc 14. There's 30 overall.

If you do get hooked, I apologise in advance for murdering your free time.

If you don't feel like clicking the link, the protagonist is a girl who can control bugs. Not an interesting power you might think. It's the creative uses of said power that really make this series, along with the plethora of other genuinely unique reality bending powers, special.

Just overall great writing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:52:24 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 09:06:48 am »

So. If you are like me, then I have two things to say to you.

1. Get a life.
Sigged.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14