Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 28210 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 09:13:37 am »

It's an internet fiction series ( see here ) by a person going by Wildbow that is probably one of the most imaginative takes on superpowered people I've ever seen. Give the first arc a read and see if you're not hooked. I myself have only gotten to arc 14. There's 30 overall.

If you do get hooked, I apologise in advance for murdering your free time.

If you don't feel like clicking the link, the protagonist is a girl who can control bugs. Not an interesting power you might think. It's the creative uses of said power that really make this series, along with the plethora of other genuinely unique reality bending powers, special.

Just overall great writing.

Just read the first chapter and I have to say it is pretty good! I never have been a fan of public school drama as a genre, so I didn't think it would catch me. But it did.

So. If you are like me, then I have two things to say to you.

1. Get a life.
Sigged.

Thanks.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2017, 09:14:21 am »

In a superpower RP forum, I'm playing a character who has instant and total knowledge of any action taken with the intent to harm someone else and any such action that has ever been performed. There are some limitations such as every part of a big overarching plan counting as one action and only registering when the plan is finished.
This power while nightmarishly terrible has a number of benefits;
  • The character understands and can speak most languages that have ever been used to lie
  • They have complete first-hand understanding of every fist-fight, military battle and full-scale war that has ever been fought
  • They can know how to hack, hotwire or bypass pretty much any device or vehicle that isn't a brand new prototype
  • They know exactly how to drive or fly any vehicle that has been used to cause harm
  • They know most people they come across by name without needing to ask
So it's pretty useful or it would be if said character hasn't understandably barricaded themselves in their home in order to protect themselves from the now terrifing outside world.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2017, 09:47:24 am »

In a superpower RP forum, I'm playing a character who has instant and total knowledge of any action taken with the intent to harm someone else and any such action that has ever been performed. There are some limitations such as every part of a big overarching plan counting as one action and only registering when the plan is finished.
This power while nightmarishly terrible has a number of benefits;
  • The character understands and can speak most languages that have ever been used to lie
  • They have complete first-hand understanding of every fist-fight, military battle and full-scale war that has ever been fought
  • They can know how to hack, hotwire or bypass pretty much any device or vehicle that isn't a brand new prototype
  • They know exactly how to drive or fly any vehicle that has been used to cause harm
  • They know most people they come across by name without needing to ask
So it's pretty useful or it would be if said character hasn't understandably barricaded themselves in their home in order to protect themselves from the now terrifing outside world.

Huh. So if I were to play chess maliciously (don't ask) would you become an instant chess master, or would you just know how I played that game of chess?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2017, 10:01:04 am »

They'd know that one game. Of course, they'd know every single detail about that one game and if more people were to play chess maliciously (or do perform a malicious act in which a chess game features) it possible they could learn everything there is to know about chess.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2017, 10:53:35 am »

They'd know that one game. Of course, they'd know every single detail about that one game and if more people were to play chess maliciously (or do perform a malicious act in which a chess game features) it possible they could learn everything there is to know about chess.

So it really requires the malicious chess game to be played in many different ways to master how to play chess in general. That's cool.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2017, 12:17:19 pm »

Wait, is there a range? Like, would they pick up aliens?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:44 pm »

It has limitless range but for my own sanity only the malicious acts of thinking beings born on the planet earth count.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2017, 03:18:14 pm »

It has limitless range but for my own sanity only the malicious acts of thinking beings born on the planet earth count.

That makes sense. After all, knowing about every gladiatorial blood sport made by every alien race ever is pretty nauseating.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:40:38 pm by Derpy Dev »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 05:44:13 pm »

So on another forum I'm on, I found a thread where you could fill in a form and the OP would tell you what your super power would be based on your answer. He gave me this:

Your power is "Lock-maker". It is an ability that lets you create up to ten locker-shaped booby traps. They can shapeshift into any household object up to the size of a cat though. When someone steps on this booby trap or tries to pick it up (unless it's you), the booby trap immediately turns into a large set of chains that envelop the person that triggered it. The chains last for a whole hour before vanishing, and would require all the force of a moving truck to break.

I asked if it specifically only worked when stepped on or picked up and he said yes. How do you think this one could be used?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2017, 05:49:12 pm »

Sounds like the kind of answer one would expect from a Vorlon. Great tool for a supervillan for preventing the good guys from fleeing or rescuing someone.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2017, 06:23:25 pm »

I asked if it specifically only worked when stepped on or picked up and he said yes. How do you think this one could be used?

Sounds like one of the stands in Jojo part three.  Essentially, it'd take the form of a electrical socket that the user can just place wherever.  When someone touches the socket, they would become magnetized, with their magnetic pull slowly becoming more powerful over time.  Eventually the victim would either get trapped or squished by all the metal around them.  The user had to stay close enough to 'maintain' the effect, but there wasn't any other limits.  She could effect multiple targets as well.

She fooled one of the characters into triggering the magnetics just by putting the socket in like the dumbest place ever ("Why does this rock have a socket?").  The second time had to do with some escalator-related shenanigans, but she placed it near the emergency stop button on the escalator.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2017, 07:12:01 pm »

Space-time powers.
Wormholes, FTL (Alcubierre drive,) objects bigger on the inside, shrinking, disintegration (via increased empty space between atoms,) gravity negation, time dilation.
Probably doesn't allow going back in time (in a desirable way.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:16:13 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2017, 01:00:51 pm »

Freaking Stands.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2017, 11:50:15 pm »

Freaking Stands.

If Jojo weren't such a dense manga I'd be blitzing all the online chapters just to get to the chapters where Stands start appearing. Seriously, I have never heard of a powerset more unique-sounding and ultra-hyped than Stands. It's like the powers themselves are separate characters.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2017, 07:31:54 am »

Freaking Stands.

If Jojo weren't such a dense manga I'd be blitzing all the online chapters just to get to the chapters where Stands start appearing. Seriously, I have never heard of a powerset more unique-sounding and ultra-hyped than Stands. It's like the powers themselves are separate characters.
Honestly just read the wiki.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14