Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 28114 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2017, 09:16:25 am »

Tardigrades aren't even that hardy when they're not in cryptobiotic form. So.... I guess Mei from Overwatch is basically a tardigrade.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2017, 09:31:52 am »

If this has already been mentioned...too bad.

The ultimate superpower is telekinesis.

Because what can't you do with telekinesis?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2017, 09:53:32 am »

Teleporting.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2017, 09:59:14 am »

Good point.

Short of entirely laws-of-physics-ignoring stuff like THAT, what can't you do?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:47 am »

Most super powers are sorta laws of physics breaking aren't they? So I guess in a conversation about super powers. Most things.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2017, 12:35:06 pm »

Short of entirely laws-of-physics-ignoring stuff like THAT, what can't you do?

One important question there for you: is his telekinesis like another sense?

Here's what I mean. Suppose he picked up a rubber ball with his power. That ball is floating in the air. If he were to close his eyes, would he still be able to tell the ball is there even though he can't see, hear, smell, touch or taste it?

If he can, then we are talking about a sixth sense that we as humans cannot comprehend. It's hard to describe what something feels like when it redefines the definition of the word feel.

Feeling with the mind is something I have thought of for a bit. You wouldn't be able to tell the object's color, and you probably couldn't read text  on paper or a computer screen. But you could also tell exactly what it's texture is like and know what it's shape is from every angle at one.

Know what I'm saying?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2017, 12:39:48 pm »

It's like having another hand.

Of any size you wish.

Anywhere you wish.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2017, 01:18:41 pm »

It's like having another hand.

Of any size you wish.

Anywhere you wish.

With infinite fingers so you can touch the object from literally every angle.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2017, 02:45:00 pm »

My point was that it would probably be like having another appendage actually TOUCHING the item.

Anyway, with telekinesis you can break apart atoms, assemble new molecules, fly (By pulling yourself along or riding some convenient group of air molecules), kill someone with half a thought (Sever certain nerves or blood vessels in the brain), repair almost any tissue damage (This is getting to the point where you'd better be really good at what you're working with, with comprehensive knowledge of what's going on), etc.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2017, 03:15:19 pm »

With sufficiently powerful telekinesis and skill, anyway.

Still a few limits, though. Can't make things out of nothing, for instance.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:16 pm »

You can't use shapeshifting to make yourself smarter unless you have a highly intelligent creature to use as a base, or fully understand how the brain works and how to make a better one. Simply scaling up the human brain won't work, because there are already animals out there with larger brains than ours that are dumber than we are. And the human brain is not yet fully understood, so good luck using your power to improve on it.
Similarly, you won't be using telekinesis to heal yourself unless you're an utterly badass biologist, otherwise you're just momentarily squishing your flesh back together.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2017, 09:00:06 pm »

I guess it all depends how abstracted the process is. Actually using the shapeshifting power could run anywhere from "picture a goal form and let magic work out the details of how to get there" to "exert the mental effort to knowingly modify the precise nucleotides in each individual cell and then selectively propogate them in such a way as to arrive at your desired form". The latter would be basically impossible to use, obviously. The whole spectrum is equally valid, though, depending on the kind of setting we're dealing with. There's no law saying superpowers need to be balanced.

Feeling with the mind is something I have thought of for a bit. You wouldn't be able to tell the object's color, and you probably couldn't read text  on paper or a computer screen. But you could also tell exactly what it's texture is like and know what it's shape is from every angle at one.

Know what I'm saying?
I've often thought about this (alien senses) in regards to echolocation. People say bats "see" with echolocation, but that's just sorta the closest analogue we have as humans. It's actually hearing, obviously, just a series of complex sounds they can decode into information. But the information they're getting isn't light and colour, it's distance. I suspect it's more like having an extremely precise sense of exactly how far everything you're "looking" at is from you at a given moment. Precise to the point that you can hear/feel/sense textures, like tree bark, or the wingbeats of a moth 20 feet away. It's fills the same role as sight, but it's actually completely unlike any sense we have as humans.

There's such thing as human echolocation but animals are on such a completely different level.

Man, this is the kind of thing that makes me want shapeshifting. :P

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2017, 09:07:37 pm »

Short of casual reality control, I think if I had to be a classic style super hero I'd have to go with the super speed (so long as you got all the speedster support powers like strength and toughness scaling with speed to avoid your body being ripped apart and stuff) it's just so broken being able to think and move faster then others, and momentum lets you hit up there with the big boys of super strength and stuff. Being able to think faster would also be a lot more helpful in every day life as well, so long as you weren't like, stuck in boredom town because of it. More so I think then a lot of other super powers to be honest.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:11:41 pm by Criptfeind »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2017, 11:28:00 pm »

I don't recall when thinking faster became a thing, but I'm pretty sure it was rather recently, with most speedsters before that just having super-reflexes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2017, 02:07:44 am »

Shittiest "super power"; upon being killed, reappear, nearby or not, in the healthiest state you ever were in all your lives. Say you were at your best at 18 then you developed a drinking problem. You die, youre that 18 year old again, if thats the best shape youre ever in thats what youll reappear as every time youre killed.

You can be killed forever. Technically every time you die gives you a chance to escape whatever predicament you were in, as you could reappear miles away in any location youve been or learned about. You are functionally immortal. But doomed to experience death over and over for eternity. Live to the ripe old age of 70 and then have a heart attack? Start over an instant later as you were at 18. Earth becomes uninhabitable? Guess youre going to die every thirty seconds until conditions improve. And then the heat death of the universe rolls around and it really starts to suck to be you.

But with enough experience youll still be kicking ass for as long as there are asses to kick, right?

Other lame superpowers may include advancing the aging process of living beings youre touching by a factor you decide on, without being able to reverse that aging process, for the duration of contact. You could literally kill someone in an instant by deciding to increase the rate of attrition a million to one, or halt their development as long as youre touching them. Again, you could be immortal, if nobody shoots you or you get sick or something. You can also grow a tree in an instant (ignoring where it gets the mass and energy from). Finally get an answer to whether or not lobsters are immortal.

Or telepathically communicating the feeling of being hugged and comforted to anyone around you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14