Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 27784 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Let's Talk Super Powers
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:47 pm »

So. If you are like me, then I have two things to say to you.

1. Get a life.
2. You like to obsessively think of new super power ideas and think of every possible situation they can be used in. Every weakness, every strength, every upside, every downside, every circumstance, everything that could possible ever come up with this power ever.

Let's share these crazy super power ideas and talk about them here. I want to hear what madness you guys have thought of.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:01:17 pm »

List of insanely OP super powers: Villain edition

1) control over the weak and strong nuclear forces (because nothing says 'hello superman' quite like causing his whole body to emit kryptonite radiation- from the inside)
2) control over gravity/inertial mass (Including ability to create black holes/worm holes)
3) Ability to manipulate rate/intensity of vacuum fluctuations (Including spontaneous generation of negative mass, with all the expected consequences)

*Bonus

Fun idea for super villain objective/plot hook:

4 super villains, each with mastery over a single fundamental force (Strong, Weak, EM, and Gravity) all desire to unify, after being split into 4 entities by the creation of the universe. Naturally, returning to their primal, timeless state will destroy the universe by collapsing it back into a singularity.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:06:25 pm by wierd »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:10 pm »

The ability to shoot spaghetti noodles out of your fingertips.

Nobody wants to be covered in spaghetti noodles
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:14 pm »

I always liked the power of unassisted flight due to the potential it has for unarmed combat. Think Dragonball Z. What flying under your own power really means is that you have total control over your body's momentum, trajectory, velocity, and whatnot. If you say, throw a punch, and miss, you can just spin your body through the air and land a reverse elbow without ever worrying about falling down.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:38 am »

1) control over the weak and strong nuclear forces (because nothing says 'hello superman' quite like causing his whole body to emit kryptonite radiation- from the inside)

Given the implications of said power... This might as well be god powers :P

Molecule man WISHES he had this ability.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 02:13:04 am »

Given the implications of said power... This might as well be god powers :P

Molecule man WISHES he had this ability.

It is basically the power set of Dr Manhattan from The Watchmen-- sans the causality bending future sight stuff-- so yes, "godlike", but not invulnerable. (You could throw him into a black hole, and he would not be able to get out, etc.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:53 am »

That doesn't disqualify it from being godly.

2) control over gravity/inertial mass (Including ability to create black holes/worm holes)

Pretty sure this is just Blob.
Love, scriver~

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:45 am »

I always liked the power of unassisted flight due to the potential it has for unarmed combat. Think Dragonball Z. What flying under your own power really means is that you have total control over your body's momentum, trajectory, velocity, and whatnot. If you say, throw a punch, and miss, you can just spin your body through the air and land a reverse elbow without ever worrying about falling down.

I never actually thought of the ability to use flight like that. Since most martial art styles teach you to use gravity, presumably an entirely new martial art style would have to be created that takes full advantage of the fact that you can't fall.

List of insanely OP super powers: Villain edition

3) Ability to manipulate rate/intensity of vacuum fluctuations (Including spontaneous generation of negative mass, with all the expected consequences)

All three of those have horrifying implications. I'll start with the easiest, control over gravity. If it works the way I assume it would, then the user can just point a finger at a skyscraper and reduce it to rubble in a second by giving it the gravity of Jupiter. Weak and strong nuclear forces could probably be used to just disintegrate everyone, but... I don't know a lot about nuclear physics, so if somebody with a degree that could explain that, yay you! And controlling vacuums is just as horrifying as it sounds. You could either just flat our suffocate people, or crush them by giving them too much air pressure. And negative mass is just bad for everyone.

I mean, you're not wrong.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 08:25:24 am »

Nonono-- #3 is EVEN WORSE than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_fluctuation

Due to its nature as a vacuum energy fluctuation, once the user stops manhandling the fabric of reality, all manifested energies just disappear.  Consequences of this power include things like radically accelerated decay of nuclear materials, spontaneous proton decay of stable matter, sudden and inexplicable photon scattering, manipulation of "random chance" (by making the universe bend over backward, by manipulating the probability functions inherent in this kind of power), manifestation of exotic forces (like antimass) Etc.

It is important to stress that this energy is borrowed from spacetime itself, and wants very desperately to return to the ground state. Any manifested phenomenon will want to wink out of existence instantly without constant effort by the user. 

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 08:25:55 am »

Disintegration? Yep. Actually, it wouldn't be disintegration. It would be more like a nuclear blast. I don't know particulars... but the strong force is what holds atoms together. Cancel that and you have atomic particles going all over the place. You could probably nuke something by abusing that. Also, there's the possibility of creating materials with strange properties by forcing more and more protons together and preventing destabilization of the atom, but that's less flashy than nukes.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:25 am »

Disintegration? Yep. Actually, it wouldn't be disintegration. It would be more like a nuclear blast. I don't know particulars... but the strong force is what holds atoms together. Cancel that and you have atomic particles going all over the place. You could probably nuke something by abusing that. Also, there's the possibility of creating materials with strange properties by forcing more and more protons together and preventing destabilization of the atom, but that's less flashy than nukes.
Nonono-- #3 is EVEN WORSE than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_fluctuation

Due to its nature as a vacuum energy fluctuation, once the user stops manhandling the fabric of reality, all manifested energies just disappear.  Consequences of this power include things like radically accelerated decay of nuclear materials, spontaneous proton decay of stable matter, sudden and inexplicable photon scattering, manipulation of "random chance" (by making the universe bend over backward, by manipulating the probability functions inherent in this kind of power), manifestation of exotic forces (like antimass) Etc.

It is important to stress that this energy is borrowed from spacetime itself, and wants very desperately to return to the ground state. Any manifested phenomenon will want to wink out of existence instantly without constant effort by the user.

Oh god  :o

Yeah that's about as bad as it can get. What is the range on this power, out of curiosity? Cause if it only works on things the user can see, then the user essentially can use their powers in this destructive fashion as a self destruct button but not for easily destroying cities without, you know, dying.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:52 am »

You could throw him into a black hole, and he would not be able to get out, etc.)

I dunno if you could even attempt that. That is probably the only way if we exclude psychological, perceptual limits.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 11:18:48 am »

Naw, simply being very near to objects that are at the extreme limit of what those forces remain dominant over would force him to have to NOT use his powers, or else risk being caught in one as it formed underneath him-- say, very close to a neutron star, or other form of degenerate matter. His powers would still technically "work", but it takes *EVERYTHING* those forces have to NOT become a black hole when confronted with such density. Even flexing that power a little bit would cause the degeneracy to collapse into singularity, with him right next to it.

I think I *DID* say these were "OP" super powers for evil super villains though, right? This is like "Galactus" level super villain, OK?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactus

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:24 pm »

I think I *DID* say these were "OP" super powers for evil super villains though, right? This is like "Galactus" level super villain, OK?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactus

I think this confirms my long held suspicion that all my super powered characters are way less powerful than those created by others. I think the most powerful ones I've thought of have only been on the level of Superman, and only then because of high skill and training taking place over 10+ years.

I mean, just look at that. You can't top something that amazing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14