Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 27792 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:22 am »

Freaking Stands.

If Jojo weren't such a dense manga I'd be blitzing all the online chapters just to get to the chapters where Stands start appearing. Seriously, I have never heard of a powerset more unique-sounding and ultra-hyped than Stands. It's like the powers themselves are separate characters.

I'm sure you can skip to Stardust Crusaders and not have too many problems.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 04:17:26 pm »

As a general rule, if your powers have a large chance of collapsing things into a black hole, supervillan or no, perhaps NOT using them is a good idea because even if you stop it right away, unless you can fix planetary orbits, I think you just fucked up the solar system

Also, my dream power would be the whole psychic thing, you know telekinesis, telepathy, mind control,teleporting, stuff like that might not be able to turn superman's insides into kryptonite, but it would be fun all the same

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »

As a general rule, if your powers have a large chance of collapsing things into a black hole, supervillan or no, perhaps NOT using them is a good idea because even if you stop it right away, unless you can fix planetary orbits, I think you just fucked up the solar system

Never thought of it that way.

Geez.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2017, 05:53:58 pm »

Never thought of it that way.

Geez.

Glad to (theoretically) be of (theoretical) help in the (theoretical) event that you (theoretically) gain these (theoretical) powers... theoretical 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:35 pm »

The intention there is that these powers can be manifested at the tiniest of scales as well as the largest, meaning that "normal" use of them would not necessarily result in destroying whole planets or solar systems any more than using a nuclear reactor or particle accelerator does.

However, should the need arise, they can totally Mary Sue you out of existence.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47:31 pm »

The intention there is that these powers can be manifested at the tiniest of scales as well as the largest, meaning that "normal" use of them would not necessarily result in destroying whole planets or solar systems any more than using a nuclear reactor or particle accelerator does.

However, should the need arise, they can totally Mary Sue you out of existence.

I choose to avoid anyone who can Mary Sue me out of existence.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2017, 09:00:41 pm »

I've always thought that if I had to choose only one superpower, I'd definitely go with shapeshifting. Especially shapeshifting into any critter you can think of, not limited to real animals or whatever. Why? Because that one power gives you access to hundreds of other powers.

Sure, you won't be exploding planets with your mind or travelling through time, but you'd get basically all the small-scale physical powers. Maybe it's because I'm a biologist that I take this angle, but nature's already full of superpowers I'd love to have... Flight is obvious, but also super-strength, size, durability, senses (including heat, electricity and magnetic-senses), tardigrade-style invincibility, natural weapons like claws, chemical weapons, camouflage, water-breathing... and so on.

Plus I mean, you could turn into a Kaiju and stomp on things you don't like. Or... turn into an eldritch abomination and eat the moon, depending how far we wanna go here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:40 pm »

Or a water bear and survive in space.

I think it's only fair if you can shapeshift into anything, though, to have the limit of you also getting the intellect of whatever you shift into.
Love, scriver~

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2017, 10:12:10 pm »

I think it's only fair if you can shapeshift into anything, though, to have the limit of you also getting the intellect of whatever you shift into.

Would that mean turning into a water bear would leave you stuck that way forever, because you wouldn't be able to remember you could ever shape shift at all?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2017, 10:15:09 pm »

A black hole only has the mass of the things it's composed of. Only interesting thing is they distort light and give off radiation.

Also, my dream power would be the whole psychic thing, you know telekinesis, telepathy, mind control,teleporting, stuff like that might not be able to turn superman's insides into kryptonite, but it would be fun all the same
Does it come with 4th wall breaking power?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2017, 11:22:33 pm »

tardigrade-style invincibility
Already covered that. :P

I choose "highly intelligent tardigrade the size of an actual bear". Apart from desiccation-based invulnerability, I could also maul people verrry slowly.

But yeah that's the thing with shapeshifting, it has lots of upsides but some of the most horrifying potential drawbacks for the user. Stuck in forms, losing your sense of self, stuck between forms, various body-horrorific failures of biology... Definitely not a superpower you'd want to ask a genie for.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2017, 11:48:53 pm »

Animorphs FTW. That book series scarred a generation.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:36 pm »

Animorphs FTW. That book series scarred a generation.

I was thinking of that for awhile now, OH GOD THE NOSTALGIA IS REEEEAAAALLLLLLL

A black hole only has the mass of the things it's composed of. Only interesting thing is they distort light and give off radiation.

Does it come with 4th wall breaking power?

A. I'm not sure how dense a skyscraper becomes when compressed into a singularity, but I have to imagine that it wouldn't be fun being near such a thing

B. It might, it might not, depends on if our reality is a computer simulation or not

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2017, 12:10:32 pm »

A) by definition, infinite. However, its actual mass remains the same.  For given masses of singularities of this type, there is a statistical curve that slopes a certain way. At certain masses above a threshold, the rate of hawking radiation emission is lower than the rate at which it continues to grow, allowing the black hole to be stable. This is about 1 solar mass.  Anything smaller, and hawking radiation greatly overtakes any potential to consume additional matter, meaning that it radiates its mass away from itself via quantum tunneling of virtual particles-- a nice warm radioactive glow just outside the event horizon. Granted, the amount of radiation produced by converting 100% of the mass of a skyscraper into energetic ionizing radiation would be quite catastrophic to the planet, and possibly the solar system in general-- It would not produce a long-lived singularity that then proceeds to gobble up everything. It would just create a very bright and nasty place on the surface of the earth that would destroy half the planet from vaporization, and leave the other half as fractured bits of molten rock.

B) More, depends on if there is an accessible hyper-reality which encompasses our universe, in which other, undetectable observers are watching us beyond normal 3-space perception-- which is detectable using said "psychic powers."

It need not be in the form of a purposeful simulation.  3Spacers watching Flatlanders traverse the surface of a balloon is an apt description. The balloon need not be computer simulated. It just needs to exist, and pose a bounding on perception that is not in effect to 2+N space observers.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2017, 01:10:19 pm »

For shapeshifting, I'd prefer if you couldn't conjure organic matter from the void. You can only become a kaiju by eating a whole lot of stuff, and if you want to turn into a raven you'll have to leave most of your body mass behind.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14