Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Let's Talk Super Powers  (Read 27785 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Super Powers
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2017, 03:42:52 pm »

For shapeshifting, I'd prefer if you couldn't conjure organic matter from the void. You can only become a kaiju by eating a whole lot of stuff, and if you want to turn into a raven you'll have to leave most of your body mass behind.

One problem I see with that, if you turn into a raven you can't go back, because a raven can only eat so much

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2017, 03:46:47 pm »

For shapeshifting, I'd prefer if you couldn't conjure organic matter from the void. You can only become a kaiju by eating a whole lot of stuff, and if you want to turn into a raven you'll have to leave most of your body mass behind.

One problem I see with that, if you turn into a raven you can't go back, because a raven can only eat so much

You'd just have to work your way up, advancing between animals with larger and larger stomachs.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »

You'll either have to work your way up to larger creatures or invent yourself a monster that can eat many times it's smallest body mass.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »

I'm more worried about the lost biomass when going smaller.  Do you, like, shit it all out or something?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2017, 05:30:49 pm »

I'm more worried about the lost biomass when going smaller.  Do you, like, shit it all out or something?

Hello nightmares. How's it going?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2017, 05:48:58 pm »

Having powers like John Carpenter's The Thing would be useful, you'd be able to attach yourself to other masses of biomass, overwrite it, turn it into your own biomass, and just work up from there. You could be reduced to the size of an ant and you could just absorb an entire anthill worth of organic matter and became as large as, I dunno, a cat.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2017, 06:00:40 pm »

I was thinking more like a raven crawls out of your skull leaving most of a human corpse behind.

Having powers like John Carpenter's The Thing would be useful, you'd be able to attach yourself to other masses of biomass, overwrite it, turn it into your own biomass, and just work up from there. You could be reduced to the size of an ant and you could just absorb an entire anthill worth of organic matter and became as large as, I dunno, a cat.
Why bother eating an anthill? Just climb onto a blade of grass, convert it, convert the whole field around you, convert the nearby forest, convert the amazon rainforest...
"The Thing" in any environment other than the arctic is world-eating.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2017, 06:06:47 pm »

I was thinking more like a raven crawls out of your skull leaving most of a human corpse behind.

Why bother eating an anthill? Just climb onto a blade of grass, convert it, convert the whole field around you, convert the nearby forest, convert the amazon rainforest...
"The Thing" in any environment other than the arctic is world-eating.

What about a desert, or a mountain, or the moon, or Hell!

Also, Sigged

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2017, 06:15:15 pm »

The desert has enough biomass to make a bird and fly to the nearest forest. I happen to live in a mountainous area that's a rainforest. Hell is practically full of biomass.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2017, 09:17:52 pm »

Do souls count as biomass?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2017, 09:44:19 pm »

To a super capable of manipulating, absorbing and otherwise using psychic energy, souls would probably be a very potent source of energy/power. Much the same way as a Flesh manipulator would find organic biomass.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2017, 10:04:58 pm »

If something's got a soul, it probably has meat to it. Otherwise it's probably some sort of mineral computer. And demons are definitely very meaty and delicious.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2017, 11:28:58 pm »

I choose "highly intelligent tardigrade the size of an actual bear". Apart from desiccation-based invulnerability, I could also maul people verrry slowly.
You probably lose the invulnerability if you scale up. Square-cube law and all.

On the other hand, a scaled-down human is stronger than an ant.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2017, 11:53:16 pm »

Except your lungs and other organs would probably not work right at that scale. And you'd probably be dumber.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2017, 08:56:29 am »

Well, you obviously wouldn't be relying on passive gas exchange at that scale. Give it bird lungs or something (bird lungs are great, I'd slap bird lungs on lots of things). You'd also need some kind of endoskeleton, a much beefier cardiovascular system (more hearts for everyone!) and all the other goodies that come with the square-cube law. Doesn't mean it can't be done!

I honestly don't know how the tardigrade's invulnerability would behave at large scale. Probably not that well, heh. Reviving would be a pain, anyway, and you'd definitely need a friend who could dunk you in water for a very long time. They do apparently have some fancy proteins and such that help make it possible, though, and who's to say they wouldn't still do their job?

You could probably still be space-resistant anyway.

Also, if you really can "turn into whatever you want" there's not really anything stopping you from giving things extremely large/complex brains that are capable of more than a human brain. Become the colossal horseshoe crab with 400 IQ of your dreams! With ten human arms and a fully transparent shell. Beware its deadly spit!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14