Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Count as Artifacts for Stealing  (Read 748 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Adamantine Count as Artifacts for Stealing
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:56 am »

In the latest announcements by Toady, he said that foreign civilizations will be able to try and steal artifacts that your fortress creates. I believe that divine metals such as Adamantine should also count as artifacts in this regard. Adventurers should not only make an attempt on stealing your carp bone door, but also your Adamantine Battle Axes. Being divine metals, they have a holy quality to them, and should be highly sought after by competitors.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Count as Artifacts for Stealing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:13:06 am »

Perhaps it should be best left as a subset of desirable items rather than a 'artifact' that thieves will beeline for because of how much spam and asking about usually quite similar and nameless objects that could occur in worldgen. Each artifact has historical significance which makes them atleast identifiable, and unless they aren't picky being tasked with a quest to retrieve a adamantine axe from a player dwarf fortress in worldgen as another civ's adventurer would not have to be a specific request.

But yes i agree that adamantine and other such metals should be desirable for civs to obtain, its sort of saying that people also covet the dwarves for trap mechanisms, steel and other things and would go out of their way to either barter them from the dwarves or steal it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:47:29 pm »

After using them a while dorfs will name their adamantine axes, then they can start to get reputation and attract artifact hunters.

Related to this, a few fotf replies ago I asked about raids for specific items (steel, food, etc) which Toady seemed to agree about, so I guess it'll happen eventually.

Would need a more complex decision making process on the part of the entity launching the expedition though. Sure, adamantine mail leggings are nice, but without the reputation boost of a legendary artifact, what's a human bandit going to do with them? Hang them on the wall? It's not like they can melt it down and make new stuff from it. Adamantine axe on the other hand is more useful.

Eventually more intelligent civs might come hunting your stuff for it's actual value. But you'd need an economy in place for any meaningful decision to take place on value and need vs risk so will be a long way off yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:49:06 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »

I can see why you two are worried about nameless adamantine items clogging up the system but it is important to remember that Adamantine is a divine holy metal. Furthermore -iirc- generated civs do not create adamanine items. This is why I personally do not think that steel should count.

I do agree that steel should be desirable this could be handled by thieves preferring items with high material values. I do not think it would be worth an international incident for.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!