Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this comic continue?

Yes please!
- 12 (100%)
I don't care enough.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care about this one in particular, but I'd like to see more comics from you in the future!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game  (Read 61873 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game
« Reply #315 on: November 29, 2017, 09:35:55 am »

I've been having issues with Imgur so I switched to a certain russian hosting for a time being. Please tell me whether someone else has trouble with viewing those (including previous updates).

Also, gotta try using imgur again...

Edit: Imgur does not work for me. Any other free hosting options?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:39:00 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2017, 09:49:53 am »

Edit: Planning on redoing this entirely. Please ignore.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:58:55 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 29, 2017, 01:30:27 pm »

Moved the last update to tinypic, left the previous one as it is. I wonder if that works.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 29, 2017, 02:03:36 pm »

Tuk Tuk's new armor is great.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 29, 2017, 02:21:41 pm »

Moved the last update to tinypic, left the previous one as it is. I wonder if that works.
:)
It does.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 29, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »

First of all, Vlakoth looks RAD with those glasses and that coat. Also, we may be screwed depending on how orthodox these elves are in their beliefs. We don't have any wood to trade them, so we're good in that department (the complete lack of trees and subsequent tree cutting might be the reason they're being so polite to us). If they don't accept animal products we may be completely without trade goods. I'm not sure what their policy is on bone crafts because they could easily have been taken from a long dead skeleton, but we could probably get away with shell crafts because they just pile up at the bottom of the sea even without us harvesting the live ones. My remedy for this problem is to encrust what we have with the scrap cut gems we have laying around to increase their value and give the elves a distraction from the fact that they're made of animal. I'd say keep the larger gems on their own so we have an emergency product to fall back to if they don't accept the crafts. Finally, if we really have to, we can sell a few of the extra swords we got from defeating the skeletons. These swords could have their handles encrusted with gems in a way that wouldn't impead the wielder, as well as potentially etching the flat of the blade with engravings to increase value. I may very well be over assuming the gem setting skill of the fort, I've only seen gem cutters so I have no idea if anyone has even remote skill in gem setting, but the gem cutters are the ones most likely to succeed at it so they could try. I also realized that the human migrant that just came was never given a name, sooo, I'm not sure what to do about that. As for what we could actually procure from the elves, we've got some options to choose from, but we should probably wait on a firm decision until we know exactly what they carry. Wow, the broker is going to have a hard time with this deal... oh wait, I'm the broker. Heh.
     Well, at the very least I would appreciate if I could bring Frost with me to trade. Not only could he help me figure out what the elven economy is like and see if I'm getting good deals, but it would help for the elves to see that they are trading with a fort that contains one of them, and not just animal people which they seem to think are lesser. Yes they are selling animal people as slaves, but we could do with more hands on deck. If we were to buy one we would obviously grant them citizenship and treat them as equals once the elves leave. We don't want to spark a war or let the elves abduct anyone, so I'd like it for everyone to be on their best behavior. I'm not sure what we're going to do if the elves are selling any animals that the animal men evolved from, but lets keep tempers low. Scourge, as much as I hate to say it you probably should keep a little distance from the caravan after we find that they aren't selling polar bears. We should also inquire if they have any applicable skills other than servant skills like hauling and cleaning. I would hope that they would at least have some skill in cooking, which would be helpful seeing as we have no cook. This could potentially help with future trading, as well prepared meals are pretty valuable. If they're both equally skilled my money would be on choosing the snail man/woman/hermaphrodite (I think all snails are hermaphrodites but I don't know how that translates to animal men). I'm sure a certain...uh... saucy tigerman of ours will want to choose the tigerwoman that he's been craving, but we should put it up to a vote. If we can't afford everything we want, we can always ask them to bring a tigerwoman next year. We definitely need some livestock seeing as our blood stocks are low and we have so many blood drinking creatures in our fort. We should see what they have before we make a decision, but our priority should be for a breeding pair of something. Other than that, we can just see what cool and/or inexpensive things they have and judge to see if it's worth the money in potential uses.
     The exquisite food and drink is probably a waste, Lorumet is a pretty good brewer and can provide us with some quality drinks. Cloths, probably also a waste. We just got the string from Tuk Tuk, and after someone weaves it into cloth I can make us something out of it as needed (I keep forgetting that I gave Akituh a little bit of clothes making skills). Wood is probably something we need, after we blew our wood on that cool sign covered in boots. We also just got a vampire carpenter, so we have someone who can actually make some good things out of it. We should buy at least a few logs, logs are cheap and we'll see how much money we have left after we have the essentials and blow it on more logs. At least one or two of those logs should be used to make lye for emergency soap, no one has soap making, but the quality of the soap doesn't really matter. Finally, we should probably politely ask the kobold what her plans for the future are. Not a "get out you dead beat", but just an inquisition as to whether she plans to move in or return to her home and the children she was allegedly feeding. I would also say we shouldn't sell the artifact no matter how desperate we are, it will be good for attracting migrants, and is overall just a symbol of GremlinFort at this point. I'm probably going to do a real journal entry soon with more story tid bits after I stop being lazy decide to get around to it finish formulating how I want to handle it. Oh, and with Scourge being a legendary gem cutter now, it might be a good idea for Goden to choose a secondary profession, something we need currently in the fort to help it function.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 29, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »

I agree with you on the elves thing, but, I had to write the journal in character. Kiam would also approve of buying and setting them free, and after they calmed down, would probably suggest that, but they wrote that just after seeing the elves, so...
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 29, 2017, 07:30:05 pm »

Understandable, I can only imagine what it would be like to be approached diplomatically by a people who actively enslave your own people. And who knows, they could very well just be servants, but not likely because they're chained up. It's kind of like Akituh's resentment of the pond turtle people, they aren't actively enslaving animal people but have been trying to fool people into believing that they're "connected to nature" in an attempt to swindle them of their animals (I made it up for story purposes, they naturally do nothing of the sort). And don't sweat the need to clarify things out of character, it's better to get your point across. That's why I like to have a big post of what I think of the current situation before I try to put it into a journal entry, so if something comes out not the way I meant it or I just never get to incorporate it into the story there's a record of what I think should be done. Also, it's unlikely that we will be able to liberate all the slaves they brought with the meager trading goods we currently have, so we should probably start thinking about which ones we're going to pick. They mentioned exotic animals, and because I see none it probably means that the caravan goes on further than the picture we saw, meaning potentially more people to choose from.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 29, 2017, 07:57:58 pm »

Fair enough. I’ll do that. And yeah, part of the continuing Elf caravan was sticking out of the right.

Edit: Do you mind if I just redo that journal in a different way? I did it while I was half asleep, and I don’t like the direction it went in (no, what was I even doing?).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:57:20 am by Kamani »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2017, 06:32:41 am »

Go ahead, it's your character after all.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2017, 09:51:25 am »

Thanks, expect it up in 5-10 hours when I stop being too busy.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2017, 07:15:16 pm »

Journal of Kiam
Date: I should really ask someone. Nah.

We have finally arrived at Gremlinfort (the sign is covered in... boots? And one skull.). It will be nice to sleep in a bed (assuming we have them. At least I won’t be sleeping on a rock surrounded by boogeymen who can’t reach me). But the Elvish traders we arrived at the same time as us seemed to be selling animal men as slaves! I’m planning on asking Gluk to buy as many as possible so we can set them free. I think mayors decide what gets bought anyways... maybe? I hope we have some form of disposable income... I really should have been more careful with the money I got adventuring. I mean, I know the main point was getting away from the mountain homes, but I should have saved some instead of using it all or giving it away. Oh, looks like the expedition leader, Goden, cleared out group, so we can head in. Apperently the population is 16 now, but I had better quit writing.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2017, 07:28:52 pm »

As for time, he said the elven caravan was here early. Seeing as we just had the dwarven caravan in what should have been fall, the current time is somewhere between late winter and early spring. Not that it really matters, everything is frozen here. It might thaw a little for a few days in the summer, but not long enough to really be of much use. Hopefully during the summer some migratory cold weather animals at least come by so we can hunt or capture them. As for who makes the call on what we should buy, I don't really know. It's going to take at least one more update so we can at least see a more detailed stock of what the elves have so we can make a decision on specifically what we want. After that I think it should be vote by the people, approval and/or changes in the plan by mayor, and then the broker gets to see what we can actually afford and makes the final decision as to what we need the most.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2017, 07:35:19 pm »

I would agree on the trading decisions (but my character doesn’t know that, especially since they have been adventuring for the last 7 years and, since they were in the mountain homes, they probably never learned about small town trading.)
Fair enough on the time thing.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 02, 2017, 10:37:48 am »

My character hangs around in the background and stays secretive.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35