Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this comic continue?

Yes please!
- 12 (100%)
I don't care enough.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care about this one in particular, but I'd like to see more comics from you in the future!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game  (Read 62141 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game
« Reply #420 on: December 25, 2017, 09:25:16 am »

Merry Christmas! Wonder if the Gremlinfort folk have a solstice holiday.

Opal's Eve?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 25, 2017, 10:10:11 am »

Good a name as any. I can never remember the df calendar anyway.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 25, 2017, 10:38:06 am »

25th of Opal? I'm sure if there even was a holiday like that everyone in the fort would have a different name for it because of all the different backgrounds. On the tundra, however, it's probably just going to look like another cold blizzard swept day.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 25, 2017, 10:44:46 am »

Well, Solstice holidays are pretty common, so it wouldn’t surprise me. But yeah, not everyone has the same basic culture (although a lot of people (including Kiam) are from the dwarvish culture). But it means the start of things getting (slightly) warmer.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 25, 2017, 04:18:14 pm »

Opal is the second month of winter, so I figure its beginning would more or less.correspond to the solstice.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 25, 2017, 08:58:34 pm »

I love when Bay12ers discuss shit like this. It just makes everyone feel smart for joining this forum.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 25, 2017, 09:12:44 pm »

I always love thinking into to things way more than is warranted, but in this situation it actually helps because it adds extra layers of lore. Speaking of which, even if the dwarven culture celebrated some kind of solstice holiday we already missed it. We're still trading with the elves, which means that it's currently at least early spring.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 25, 2017, 10:50:37 pm »

Sad. Although... why do elves always show up in the spring? Do elves have bizarre trade laws preventing small trade and only allowing one yearly scheduled calendar? Well, more likely just something that hasn’t yet been set up in Dwarf Fortress.

Also: why can’t I justify text on the DF forums?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 26, 2017, 09:58:16 am »

<Get up!>

The sound of Geesyx's urgent stridulations resonated in Fortuthri's legs.  The sharp smell of alarm pheromone prickled against her antennae, waking her with a jolt.  The colony was in shambles, the workers rushing to protect the larvae and the soldiers massing together for one final, futile charge.  Fortu's side ached, her chitin chipped in several places.  Still shaking, she stood up.

<I'm fine.  Where is Nynbi?>

<Dead.  We managed to lure the beast back to the lower caves, but it will be coming back soon.>  Geesyx gripped her spear and turned away.  <Get to safety with the other workers.  I'm going back down.>

Fortu grabbed Geesyx's lower arms.  <Come with me!  I know a safe place, in the upper caverns.  You don't have to do this.>

A mighty roar shook the cavern.  IT was coming.  Geesyx continued to stare toward the corridor leading to the lower caverns.  <The Queen is still being moved.  All soldiers must try to slow it down.>  She took a giant cave spider silk ribbon from her arm and handed it to Fortu.  <Take this.  I took it from the first giant cave spider I slew.  It is very strong material and will serve you well.>

<Your presence will not make a difference.>

<I must do what I can.>

Fortu stared helplessly as Geesyx joined the mass of soldiers.  They were all going to die.  That was inevitable.  If they were lucky, they might distract the beast long enough for the Queen and workers to get to safety.  Over the next few years, they would then produce a new crop of soldiers to replenish the colony's lost population.

Until the Beast grew hungry again.

Fortu looked to where the last few workers were passing through the narrow corridor to the safe caves, then back toward the soldiers.  The sound of fighting, drums, and the clicks of the dying beat against her knees.

She made a decision.

Fortuthri gripped her copper pickaxe and began to climb, neither towards the workers nor the soldiers, but towards the excavation tunnel that had been abandoned months ago.  If the soldiers could buy her just a few minutes... She heard the footsteps of the last workers passing through the tunnel, and the crash that meant the safe corridor had been sealed off.

No way back.

She placed all four hands firmly against the black, smooth cave wall, and slowly inched her way through the darkness.  The sound of fighting had ceased, but she could still hear the Beast's snorting and breathing and the crunch of shattered exoskeletons as it dined on the bodies of the dead.

The sensation of warmth came from beneath her hands.

<I must do what I can.>

She raised her pick and struck it against the wall.  A hollow clang rang out in the dark.  Again.  And again.  Flakes of glassy chips flew off of the wall as Fortu continued her labor.  The warmth beneath the rock was growing.  She paused, gathering her strength.  All was silent, except for the sound of dripping water.  Three small droplets fell upon her upper left forearm.

Except, as she was well aware, there was no water in this tunnel.

Fortu flung her pick against the wall with one final surge of strength.  An orange glow illuminated the cave and outlined a horrific shadow against the ceiling as the Beast of legend struck downwards, crushing the handle of the tiny copper implement in one blow and sending its upper half flying into a nearby tunnel.  Fortu was flung to the side as the creature struck out.  Molten rock pooled and hissed around the monster's feet and flew away in tiny droplets as the creature charged in a blind rage, venomous spittle dripping from its alien jaws.

Something came from the shadows.  A familiar shape rose up before the charging Beast, two spears brandished in its four hands.

<Geesyx?>

<Go!>

She flung herself at the creature, stabbing it in the chest.  It struck downwards, slamming her into the pooling magma.  Fortuthri fled, leaving behind her a burning, four-limbed dervish of flame that sunk its mandibles into the creature as it flung itself about, bellowing and screeching.

Spiracles pulsing for oxygen, Fortuthri fell against a wall.  The sound of the beast was growing faint as it fell away towards the lower caverns.  She looked down at her forearm, where three black, necrotic marks were spreading across her chitin.  Clicking her mandibles in pain, she felt around her for a sharp implement.  A familiar shape lay beneath her fingers - the broken pickaxe, a gift from one of her many sisters.   Its base was still hot and pliable.  With one heavy strike, she severed the infected limb and kicked it away from her, then pressed the searing end of the pick to the end of her severed stump.  She then used the giant cave spider silk ribbon to tie the pick to her arm and molded the soft metal into place with her hands.  The sound of a heavy splash came from somewhere far below.

She lay still for what seemed like hours, listening to the sound of the Beast fading into the distance.  Then she began to climb.  A narrow vertical passage she had discovered last month led to a place where she could sometimes hear voices from far above.  Friend or foe, she had nowhere else to go.

New character proposal:

Fortuthri, Worker Ant Woman
Other skills: Architecture, masonry,  surgery (though unfamiliar with vertebrate biology), dabbling military strategist and mechanic
Notable features: A copper pickaxe in the place of her upper left forearm.
Current location: Deep underground

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 26, 2017, 11:22:37 am »

Absolutely excellent character proposal. I think that has to be one of my favorites so far.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 26, 2017, 11:31:54 am »

That was a pretty great story introduction, in addition to us potentially finally having access to the caverns. I was actually going to pick an ant worker as my character when I first wanted to join, but then I looked it up to see that they have a maximum lifespan of 10 years. I wonder if this will lead to some eventual diplomacy with the ant hive in the caverns, or if they'll move far enough away that we'll never come in contact. Either way, after the initial hostility of a random ant woman jumping out of a newly dug hole in the ground in the middle of the dining room I'm sure it will be fine. The pick hand is a great concept as well, also giving us some future options. Being a copper pick, we may eventually want to upgrade to a better metal pick, or at least make it a better connection to the arm stump than was probably achieved in the dark. If the chitin and muscle was melted around the base of the pick this will probably be impossible and an infection could start if we're unlucky. But we shall see, we could also give her a basic tutorial on vertebrate anatomy seeing as she's the only insect person in the fort so we can have a back up surgeon.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 26, 2017, 11:40:32 am »

Diggy ponders digging deeper to discover the caverns where the underground roads lead to the mountainhome.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 13, 2018, 10:56:29 am »

So... will this ever be getting more updates? Monitor Lisard hasn’t posted here for three weeks. Sorry about posting, it’s just that forum games I like going silent for a long time makes me anxious, if I don’t know whether it will continue or not.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2018, 11:01:06 am »

I'm currently working on the update. Hope it's not dead due to my neglect yet.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35