Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this comic continue?

Yes please!
- 12 (100%)
I don't care enough.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care about this one in particular, but I'd like to see more comics from you in the future!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35

Author Topic: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game  (Read 61997 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Outpost: Illustrated Community Game
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2017, 06:48:36 pm »

In slight contradiction to my first post I think I'm gonna treat Urist (The parrot) like a person who somewhat works around the fort and can speak mostly fluently, but commonly gets confused by traditions and procedures. He can make small stone crafts for trade and helps Akituh in the field by ferrying seed bags to him and back to stockpiles. And he acts almost like a bard who can't play instruments in the tavern or meeting area when he doesn't feel like working. He goes off and does his own things but is usually on Akituh's shoulder. I guess he'll count as my second character, I might bring in a third once we get the fortress situated, but for now I'm gonna focus on these two and their lives in gremlin fort. Could I also request a top down map of the current fort lay out so we could have some idea of our situation? Akituh would like to find an unused dirt wall so he can claw out part of it for his den (room). They don't need beds, They'll make themselves a nest in the den out of the discarded sticks and leaves from the crops.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2017, 07:20:59 pm »

It took me some time to design new characters, because I'm not a good artist after all. I tried though, and it didn't turn out as well as I wanted. I wish I could collaborate with other artists from time to time.

Give Mittens a boop if you need anything.

Also, could we have all the individual characters sans background? Would allow us to crop and match for RP purposes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:18:19 pm by Bearskie »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2017, 07:38:48 pm »

Clearly, I'm going to have to find someone else to talk to if I want to get anything done in this fort.
Yo Elf bro, I'mma need like a thousand serrated discs, k? Top-quality stuff, make sure you put your back into it. Lemme know when you've got a couple thou stacked up so I can start getting to work!
Why in hell would you want a thousand serrated disks?!? Not only do we have far more important things to do with the resources we have, but frankly, that's a pretty worrying request.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2017, 09:46:02 pm »

"This is a nice place! Nice and cold, so my fur doesn't make me feel like I'm on fire, no rivers, so none of the great evil creatures, MILKFISH. All it's lacking is a few goblin toys!" -Ineth
Journal of Ineth: Whatever day it is
  Well, this is a nice spot. Almost no chance of MILKFISH attacking me... I'm getting scared as I write that... I'm going to go into somewhere with no water for a bit.
  People keep calling me "Wolf man". My name is Ineth! It makes me want to cleave off their limbs..... *Here you see gibberish. Angry gibberish. If that was possible, this was it.*

This is my first journal sort of thing, so it's not the best.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2017, 10:12:23 pm »

Found etched in tooth marks on a rock slab and translated.

"<New friends arrived today. Gremlinfort grows stronger. I hope the expedition leader's apparent troubles will not cause any undue harm.>"
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2017, 11:58:49 pm »

Ineth the Wolf Man (retired) Adventurer and Warriors Journal: Continued
  I've heard something about some troubles in the overseers personal life. I bet he would like it to be secret, which is why everyone and their familes know about it. I hope it doesn't hurt the fort. I just arrived here!
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2017, 02:26:35 am »

Why in hell would you want a thousand serrated disks?!? Not only do we have far more important things to do with the resources we have, but frankly, that's a pretty worrying request.
What wouldn't you want half a million serrated disks for? They're serviceable, like an Elvish army knife! Besides, I brought four steel bars with me, which, based on my expertise of watching other people forge things, should be more than enough.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2017, 07:39:50 am »

What wouldn't you want half a million serrated disks for? They're serviceable, like an Elvish army knife! Besides, I brought four steel bars with me, which, based on my expertise of watching other people forge things, should be more than enough.
First off: all you can use a serrated disk for is traps. Maybe throwing if you're that strong, which I heartily suspect you're not. Very much unlike an army knife.

Second: four steel bars does not - under any measure of logic - get you 1000 serrated disks. It gets you a sword. Maybe two. It could get you a good 8 spearheads. Two crossbows. Every metal part of a ballista. Etcetera. It could probably get you four serrated disks. Any more and they'd be too thin to work, and would fall apart while spinning.

Third: why steel? Why not glass? It's far sharper; that's why I try to add obsidian or glass edges to all the weapons I make.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2017, 10:47:26 am »

Diggy perks up hearing "steel bars" and remembers a time he overhears Ma talking with Ole Dumil Dentedhelm, furnace operator in the next room... 

Ma: Don't worry about the boy, he's asleep.
Dumil: It's not that.  I melted inferior steel trap components today and I end up with extra steel slag after. 
Ma: That's nice.  Move to the right slightly.  Yeah, just like that.
Dumil: Uh huh.  The thing is, that smith Udil keeps giving me more to melt.
Ma: So that will keep you busy.  Move that up then down.
Dumil: Ahh.  But Udil comes back with more to melt.
Ma: Busy work is good.  Yes, that's it!
Dumil: Yes, I'm done!  You know, after melting two, I end up with three bars.
Ma: That is great! That's an exceptional engraving of Diggy raising a toy bronze hammer!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2017, 11:47:42 am »

Akituh, Snapping Turtle Man

I cannot believe my luck! Not were the rumors that this outpost was accepting animal people correct but the Leech Man I heard about is none other than the southern paladin Gluk! I have heard much of him and even seen him a few times myself. Despite his parasitic nature he has done his best drink only livestock sentenced to death, unlike some of the less civilized members of his species who run rampant and terrorize townspeople as less graceful vampires. But Gluk learned to use his appetite for good by drinking infected blood from sick patients, turning what would usually be a killer infection into a small bite mark. He is just the shinning example of an animal man putting his instincts aside to help instead of hinder that will surely put our little outpost on the map as a haven instead of a hell hole!
   After all these years of meeting exotic races across the continent I can at least basically speak most of them. Upon recognizing him I quickly go greet him in an overly raspy, but understandable, version of Leech Manish. "Greetings fellow swamp bretherin, will be an honor to work beside you, paladin of the south!". It looked like he was pleased that someone had looked past his gaping maw and actually recognized him for his deeds. I wonder if he has heard of me? My actions were also pretty well recognized in the south. I'll speak to him about it later, first I have to introduce me and Urist to the rest of the settlers. And then inquire where a good place to set up the crops would be and where I can start digging out my den. This shell of mine is too large to use a bed, and making a custom bed would be more trouble than it would be worth. I can always make a nest from the leaves and sticks gathered along side the harvest, just like my family used to. Speaking of which, I should at least inform them that my people live just a days journey to the west. It seems to me that they all believe that they are completely alone and that next to no one lives in such a cold climate. Urist just keeps asking me where the stone crafting station is so he can start making trinkets so he can trade them for quinoa grain. I smirk. Even with a reasonable sized bag of crowns tucked under his wing he would rather earn his grain through hard work. We're gonna do great here.

Akituh, Snapping Turtle Man

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »

"Ng gwf dt vrk. Sp xss qzc aly."

"<The honor is mine, Akituh. I hope this cold is not too bothersome for you.">
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2017, 12:04:22 pm »

"Hearrrd the news? Merchantnourrrished was evacuated. We arrre truly the last line of defence against the King".

"So, after the giant green glass axeblades are installed, we can finally finish the mechanisms operating the bridge, controlled by this lever here... Wait, was it this lever or... Have you been listening?"

A shortish update before I leave the town for a couple of days. Next time, we'll be facing our very first enemies... Stay tuned!
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2017, 12:23:26 pm »

Exactly what those two would be thinking about while working ;D. And sorry if I'm throwing too many ideas at you, you don't have too use all of them if they don't fit, just insert what you think will work and the rest can just be backstory. But so far I'm loving it.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2017, 03:08:44 pm »

Journal of Ineth, retired Adventurer:
  *This page is stained with ale.* In my adventuring days, ale was hard to get by. I subsisted on water, and since I am not a dwarf, that had no ill effects. I wished for it though. I, quite literally in those days, would kill a squad of goblins for a mug of alcohol. Now, it would be impossible to get water here, even if I wished for it! I think I drank too much.... I'm going to pass out soon. I enjoy the company of Akituh. He (or she? I can't tell) seems to be nice and gentle, and helps with the crops.
  Here, what I do is mostly patrolling around, looking for enemies, and if I find them, cleaving their limbs off, laughing at them, and then putting the corpse away from the main fort. I haven't seen an enemy yet, which is good, but I'm restless. This does not bode well. I do not eat the plants the farmers plant, but I hunt around for small creatures and eat them. Mostly mice.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2017, 03:12:12 pm »

Akituh and his parrot are men.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35