Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jobs appear in purple, followed with exclamation point  (Read 1698 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Jobs appear in purple, followed with exclamation point
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:00:13 pm »

Recently, I've noticed a job in the unit screen being displayed in the above-described manner; my chief medical dwarf is Meditating on Water!. I'm guessing it means the dwarf is going insane or is stressed, but I couldn't confirm it on the wiki.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:01:53 pm by Eschar »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs appear in purple, followed with exclamation point
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 06:10:47 pm »

Hard-to-interrupt location-based need-fulfilling job. See DF2014:Need - Dwarf Fortress Wiki for details.

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:23 pm »

I've seen that in my last fort as well. Are they at a location when they do that? In my game they're usually at the temple thinking about those random things when they are not praying. Don't worry too much, just be glad he's not at the tavern picking a fight with one of your legendary militia men

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:57 am »

Purple just means that the dwarf is going to finish the task before doing something else.  The green versions are stand-ins for "no job" and if a task comes up, the dwarf with the green version of the job will go do that new task.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:44:28 pm »

Hard-to-interrupt location-based need-fulfilling job. See DF2014:Need - Dwarf Fortress Wiki for details.

This is correct. The also happens for scholarly jobs too though so the scholars aren't interrupted during their work. This is usually something like "ponder on circles".
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:50:04 pm »

Maybe would prefer if scholarly jobs were green, perhaps. Iirc, a single one takes between 2 to 4 days to yield 5 exp. It'd be nice if your mechanic would make the occasional mechanism for unplanned lever without being removed from the position first. Though in that case they might just constantly hang around in tavern instead, so this might be lesser evil.