Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming of gulfs, inlets, and other contiguous seas  (Read 1070 times)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naming of gulfs, inlets, and other contiguous seas
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »

Currently, one name is assigned to every contiguous body of water, which often results in one large planet-spanning ocean and maybe a few inland lakes.

The world maps would be much improved (in terms of narrative interest) by having unique names for gulfs, bays/inlets, and small/partial seas and oceans, and even for major oceans in much the same way that oceans are named on Earth.

I don't know what algorithm would be used to delineate between seas that touch; presumably the division would be based on relative land markers. It sounds like an interesting programming challenge. Outside the scope of this suggestion, but an inversion of such an algorithm could be used to delineate between different land masses, so that continents that touch (like the Americas, or Europe/Asia/Africa) could still have unique names.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
Re: Naming of gulfs, inlets, and other contiguous seas
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:18:57 am »

I think that would be hard to realise (and much work) because : how the computer know where the ocean ends and where the other starts when their's know border between them?

And the names are random generated from some adjectives and words which are random choosen.

Different ocean names would be cool and more realistic, but this feature is current not in progress and when it should come it will takes
 some time. Their are more important features like the artifact and magic system that are developed. And different ocean names wouldn'd
change much on the gameplay
The old apple revels in its authority.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:01:58 am »

I think that would be hard to realise (and much work) because : how the computer know where the ocean ends and where the other starts when their's know border between them?

And the names are random generated from some adjectives and words which are random choosen.

Different ocean names would be cool and more realistic, but this feature is current not in progress and when it should come it will takes
 some time. Their are more important features like the artifact and magic system that are developed. And different ocean names wouldn'd

Yea, I'd like for it to be sort of low priority. Basically everyone would like revamped artifacts, and everyone would like myth&magic after that. Then maybe more cosmetic features.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 04:03:53 am »

Game's going to be worked on for the next 30 years or so, no reason to dismiss a suggestion because it's 'not important right now'.

Naming areas doesn't have to be so random. It's been suggested a couple of times that civs name at least some of their towns, forests and mountains after local leaders/battles/favorite pets. Vaguely sure Toady's mentioned something along those lines previously.

And finding the border of a bay is hard? Well, yeah, I'm sure it is, but 'hard' has never been a reason to stop DF development. If Toady suddenly decides bays need to be named, he'll attempt to figure out how it can be done.

That's the beauty of a personal project with no deadlines, you're free to experiment on whatever you like until you get it right.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:20:51 am »

I mean that they shoudn't add this feature. But it would be much work and their are many other more important features to add.
This thing with better names maybe comes after the artifact- and magic-system.

And I hope that the development of DF never ends :)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:15:23 am »

[spoilerjOuch]If you're dyslexic/similar, then apologies for telling you this that you can't make use of, but the use of that <space>colon<space> could have been intended to be several other variations, "theirs" is the relevant possessive but you meant "there's", the contraction, anyway with the negative "no" following it, and it is "wouldn't", later. I'm guessing you're a native English speaker, but not trying to use slang English, because the drifting from the usual (mis)use is odd.

Just FYI, and only if you can/want to make use of it. Never mind if it's otherwise.[/spoiler]

Named borders are named by people, based upon local perspectives.  A desert boundary or a lake shore is a heavy hint to the naming parties, but where there's a blend between two dissimilar zones, or a contact between "that lump and this lump of similar land" one would have to work out what artificial pinch-point might be added to the 'obvious' boundaries around most of the rest of each zone.

I would be tempted to identify 'merging' masses (such as bays, esturies, etc, as gradated offshoots to a deeper sea; seas as coastal areas between land-masses but connected to a surrounding ocean, etc) and find pointy bits along each "Zone1/2" border with the "Definitely not Zone1/2" neighbours that create a convex bit between two concavities (each definitely Zone 1 or Zone 2, respectively) that can be paired with another such pointy bit on the other side.

That would deal with bays (e.g. the line from the tip of the Llŷn Peninsula to one of the points off of Pembrokeshire handily 'encompasses' Cardigan Bay, Wales, but within Cardigan Bay there's smaller 'scalloped' bays and various other features such as the Mawddach estuary) but the more troublesome would be more external features, at least which (unmatched) headlands form boundaries between angled-away concavities, still connecting with adjacent heads that form further corners, beyond which there's no reasonable argument that the sub-zone can extend into the largest mass.

The worldgen process actually has far more information about zone extents than theoretical observers upon the ground would, like oceanic depths and actual biome boundaries (possibly which areas of virtually indistinguishable dry land or which areas of water derived from which separate spawning features, before blending) so as to emulate anthropogenic naming needs perhaps some fudging to be not too accurate.

But I'm not so intimately aware of the generating process that I can be sure it can be properly implemented, and it would probably need tuning, so that "little gap between two rocks that happened to fall off the same eroding cliff" isn't given a naming significance equal to "the inland sea clearly delineated by causeway-like headlands and the tidal race between" sort of features. In RL terms, that is.

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 03:15:24 pm »

Named borders are named by people, based upon local perspectives.  A desert boundary or a lake shore is a heavy hint to the naming parties, but where there's a blend between two dissimilar zones, or a contact between "that lump and this lump of similar land" one would have to work out what artificial pinch-point might be added to the 'obvious' boundaries around most of the rest of each zone.

I would be tempted to identify 'merging' masses (such as bays, esturies, etc, as gradated offshoots to a deeper sea; seas as coastal areas between land-masses but connected to a surrounding ocean, etc) and find pointy bits along each "Zone1/2" border with the "Definitely not Zone1/2" neighbours that create a convex bit between two concavities (each definitely Zone 1 or Zone 2, respectively) that can be paired with another such pointy bit on the other side.

That would deal with bays (e.g. the line from the tip of the Llŷn Peninsula to one of the points off of Pembrokeshire handily 'encompasses' Cardigan Bay, Wales, but within Cardigan Bay there's smaller 'scalloped' bays and various other features such as the Mawddach estuary) but the more troublesome would be more external features, at least which (unmatched) headlands form boundaries between angled-away concavities, still connecting with adjacent heads that form further corners, beyond which there's no reasonable argument that the sub-zone can extend into the largest mass.

The worldgen process actually has far more information about zone extents than theoretical observers upon the ground would, like oceanic depths and actual biome boundaries (possibly which areas of virtually indistinguishable dry land or which areas of water derived from which separate spawning features, before blending) so as to emulate anthropogenic naming needs perhaps some fudging to be not too accurate.

But I'm not so intimately aware of the generating process that I can be sure it can be properly implemented, and it would probably need tuning, so that "little gap between two rocks that happened to fall off the same eroding cliff" isn't given a naming significance equal to "the inland sea clearly delineated by causeway-like headlands and the tidal race between" sort of features. In RL terms, that is.

Wow. Thats a really good solving of this suggestion. But I've meaned that this feature isn't planned in the next time. Their are many other things that will come so this has not a high priority, but it would still be nice.

Your idea is good, but I think it does not change the game really much. Maybe it comes later.
Current the release of a new version is near and then starts the bug fixing progress.So ToadyOne and Threetoe have really much work.

:(
And sorry for some grammer mistakes(they are really hard). I'm not an native English speaker so their are still some problems. My last post was totally bad. So:
Nice idea, probably it comes later with some additional features for adventure mode because their you would have the most advantage of
 different names.

Have a nice day ;)